Sketchcrawlin' in Korea and Thailand.

Share your drawings from March 6th 2005
RyanE
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Sketchcrawlin' in Korea and Thailand.

Post by RyanE »

I'm going to be leaving Korea next month, so it will be nice to get the place down on paper one last time before I go.
I did a bit of sketch crawlin' while I was in Thailand last month volunteering, and it was really helpful when I started doing full blown illustrations of my trip when I got back. I was surprised how much it added to be using my sketches as reference instead of my photos. I was able to capture the feeling instead of the look.
So I look forward to this and future sketch crawls.

Ryan
www.ryanestrada.com
Last edited by RyanE on Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

South Korea ... cool ...
I am totally geeking out whenever I hear someone joining in from a different nation ... :D
Have a good one RyanE !

E
RyanE
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by RyanE »

I'm jazzed too. And if you do another of these between now and July, I'll represent in Thailand (moving there soon)
As soon as I get a chance, I'll scan and post some images from the sketch crawlin' I did there last time.

Ryan
RyanE
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by RyanE »

Hey everyone,
I've noticed a strange trend. Every time there's a Sketch Crawl Day, two things happen. #1) There's a freak snowstorm in Korea and #2) I get sick. But I had a blast nonetheless, trolling through the markets of Gimhae drawing the adjimas (little old ladies), and freaky looking fish, and all the cool little stalls.
Here's a few sketches.
Image Image
The street is freshly cleared of snow. As soon as it starts falling, everyone runs out with spades, sticks, coat hangers, pieces of cardboard, dollies, whatever they can find to get rid of it as quickly as possiblw, as though it were a risk to national security. The second sketch is everyone warming themselves up with various kinds of fried-something-on-a-stick and the biggest pot of dukbokki I've ever seen.
Here's some random people wandering about.

At this point in the scanning, I got bored of the drawings I'd just done and decided to start scanning the drawings from my February Thailand Sketch Crawl. So I did. Cuz I'm a rule breaker. And a rebel.

The drawing in the lower right became this comic

Here's a sketch from a refugee camp (the chicken coop was turned into sleeping quarters. At night, the chickens would try to come back and step on everyone. The woman is warning me about cobras in the woods) and the drawing I did based on it.

Here's some of my fellow volunteers

And this little nekkid boy

Was redrawn into this comic

More coworkers....

And this drawing....
Became the illustration on the far right

Peace!
Ryan
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

awesome Ryan ! First poster ! :D
Sounds like you had a good time ... the market sketch looks really neat ... lot's of stories behind these characters ...
Great stuff from Thailand as well ...
got any more ?

E
rainboy
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by rainboy »

NiCe sketch(of e womanwho was warning u about cobras) & photo of ur sketchbook!
I've noticed a strange trend. Every time there's a Sketch Crawl Day, two things happen. #1) There's a freak snowstorm in Korea and #2) I get sick.
hehee I notice a strange "trend" too. It always rain on a sketchcrawl day(it rained too e other time when I organise my own sketchcrawl). And it was raining here in Singapore on Sunday... when it had been like real sunny for e past few days. Strange indeed :)
quillman

Nice! Thanks for sharing!

Post by quillman »

I like your illustration!

David
Austin, TX.
angstorm
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by angstorm »

RyanE - Awesome. I really enjoyed your sketches and how you turned them into finished images. The adjima with all those expressions you drew up for the 'Stories Without Words' was excellent. You're a brave fellow, best of luck on your journeys.

Return to “2nd World Wide SketchCrawl day!”