24 Hour Comic Day: Oct 7th 2006

Doodles, comics, illustrations, concepts ... post your work here!

Moderator: Gerald

Danny
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

24 Hour Comic Day: Oct 7th 2006

Post by Danny »

http://www.24hourcomics.com/

Anyone in the Bay Area, CA, want to get together on 24 hour comic day?
Ryan R
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Ryan R »

I'd be down for this Danny. Last year Comic Relief in Berkley provided space for people, but I'm not sure if they're doing it again this year. It was damn fun, but man was I wiped out afterwards.
Hooray for art blogs!
http://stupendium.com/blog/
Danny
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Danny »

I'm practicing for the 24 hour comic day ((TOMORROW!!)) ... it's got to be 24 pages in 24 hours... but odds are I'll fall asleep at some point... so it's more like 24 pages in 18 hours...

this test page took me a little over 2 hours from the moment I thought "what should I draw" to the moment I exported it to upload.

If this took 2 hours, I think I'm in trouble come tomorrow :shock:

Danny
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Danny »

test 2, done in 45 minutes... and man I was really going as fast as I could...

the dimensions are different, it's more of a standard comic size.

there are less panels... I think that made a big difference.

so here's my process for this one:

1) this Random Topic Generator is Awesome!!!
http://viaggg.free.fr/3CH/3ch_web.php

that's where I got the word "Jellyfish"

2) script:
word doc, typed up a script as fast as possible, first pass described the actions, second pass was dialog, third pass I divided it up into panels. I ended up with six panels. (note this step is crucial for me because I can't spell to save my life)

3) 1st pass draw (I'm using a tablet). I use a blue pencil... I zoom way way way far out. and then draw my panels and word balloons (no text... just taking up space with the bubble) and then the rough position of the characters.

4) 2nd pass ink, zoom in until one panel fits the screen. switch to black. new layer. just draw the character, try to make every line a "final line" (because that's as final as it's gonna get! :) ). don't draw any text. don't get caught up in shading or filling an area solid black or anything. Undo button is key!

5) boarders:

I'm using the fastest way I can think of to make the borders... I make a solid black layer, then set it to 30% alpha, then I select the gutters and hit delete until I have a bunch of solid black squares. (then I dupe the layer for use later) then wand-select the gutters, inverse selection, contract, and hit delete again. there are the borders.

6) clean up the gutters
I nudge my sketches around so they are in the panels, and then I wand-select the gutters again and then select the layer with the lines and hit delete for clean-up where the lines run over the borders.

7) bg color
I used the dupe layer I made earlier for the solid color in the background.

8) dialog
okay, I have to admit, I used a photoshop macro I made for my online comics to do the word balloons. I don't think that's against the rules since it's a tool I uses all the time (it's already part of my normal workflow).

I slap in the text, and then make an oval selection around it and click my macro, which basically fills black, contracts and fills white. It also creates a shadow layer that's a little offset.

9) double check for mistakes and fix them

10) resize and export.

Again, the color in those last two panels took the longest. I polygon-lassoed it, but it just felt like I was wasting time. (I couldn't wand-select because not all the lines were connected.)

anyone know how I can save some steps?
~Danny
Danny
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Danny »

I *just* finished!!

All 24 pages with cover (total 25 pages) completed in 22 hours!! :D

I hope many other artist took that challenge, it was a lot of fun, I had two friends over (Paul and Ryan from above posts) and we drew and drew and drew! it's so cool to see everyone's different workflow and stories, and art style... it's great!!!

I have all 24 pages of mine, paul's and ryan's here:
http://www.dannyburbol.com/forums/post. ... =10&page=1

Looking forward to your results!!
~Danny

Return to “Random Drawings”