Sketch crawl for DC?

Saturday July 1st 2006!
Tubbekans
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Sketch crawl for DC?

Post by Tubbekans »

Hoping to get a group together for Washington, DC this Saturday. The weatherman says the rain may stop by then! I am thinking of a sketchcrawl starting at a metro stop,say Dupont Circle, and then maybe a couple other metro stops. Or maybe start at Union Station and hit a few stops on the way to Duport Circle? We could start at any stop and end at any metro stop, even returning if we want.

Sketching ideas are to get some views of the city at each stop. Could be buildings, plants, people, whatever. I have one warm up drawing idea which is going to sound silly. I figure we can draw each others feet / shoes for 5 minutes. Just a thought. Another idea was to have everyone form a circle, facing each others back. And then sketch the scene of the other artists back as they stand in front of you. So each artist would create a sketch of the back of someone and the city view beyond them. OK, I've never done this so I am looking for ideas.

If you are interested let me know. If you have a few choices for a crawl route, please post more than one.

My quickie flexible list is:

Meet at Dupont Circle, 1000 am Saturday. Sketch 30 minutes.
Proceed to next stop more sketching
etc..
End at Union Station or Smithsonian Station final sketch stop.

Or start at any other time at any metro stop and end at any other metro stop.

Let me know if you are interested.

Here is a link to the thread on ArtDC, a local website for artists around DC:

http://artdc.org/forum/index.php?topic= ... 5#msg10935

Here is a link to the Wetcanvas thread on Sketchcrawl.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354919
Tubbekans2

Possible plans

Post by Tubbekans2 »

Looks like a couple of artists are potential crawlers here. We may meet in the afternoon as they are busy in the morning. Possibly meet at the National Zoo and tour Adams Morgan and then Dupont Circle. Or start at the Union Station / Capital area and hit Chinatown and Smithsonian Station / mall area.
tubbekans2

DC Crawl on!

Post by tubbekans2 »

Here is the schedule for the DC crawl. Right now we have somewhere in the range of 5 to 10 people who wanta crawl the town.

1 PM National Zoo on the Red line. Meet back at the zoo entrance at 2 PM.

2 Pm We walk the 4 blocks to Adams Morgan... We will meet at the metro at 3 pm and head to Dupont Circle.

3 PM At Dupont Circle we will sketch in the circle park, the statues, the people on the benches, trees etc. for 45 minutes.

4 PM Then we have to head to a nearby watering hole to do our final sketch of the day, an empty beer bottle.
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

Nice ... sounds like a great day ...
have a ball !

e
Skyvine
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

next time!

Post by Skyvine »

Hi, I am a week late in seeing this. Next time, I'd love to find out in advance.

A good way to publicize would be via Craigslist. I already susbscribe to the feed for the CL artists community for when I'm seeking plein air painting partners.

If you posted at Craigslist, I wouldn't miss it, more would see it, and perhaps others would subscribe just for that purpose. Further, I'd be happy to help organize, if help is needed.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/ats/

Hope you had a great time and a great turn out.
Tubbekans
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Tubbekans »

Hi Erico, Skyline,

Well, we did have fun! We had 4 people total, only the 4th got in a bit late and we ended up not connecting. But she did some sketching herself anyway. We did sketching at the zoo, and then skipped Adams Morgan and went to Dupont Circle. Turned out it was a really hot day here and the walk to Adams Morgan seemed a like a better idea than a reaility. But we found people laying around the greass in the park reading and what not at Dupont Circle. So that worked out pretty well.

I'll check out craigslist Skyline, I don't look at that much. Help organizing another would be great! Most of the people who expressed intereest were from the www.artdc.org website., that's where we announced the DC crawl. Check it out if you want, joining is free and lots of art info for DC there.

Return to “10th World Wide SketchCrawl”