Tucson Results 12th

Saturday December 9th 2006
Area Man
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Area Man »

Hello people,

I wasn't on the crawl, but I joined here to help our neighbor, Helen, post. I hope I can be of some help.

When taking copy photos of work, there are a few things that come to mind:
  • Color balance. Most cameras have auto color balance and a number of choices for different types of light source. Outdoors late morning in bright shade seems the best balanced, but other settings work just as well sometimes. See what looks most natural.
  • Use an even, diffused source of light such as natural light, in partial shade, without sun glare or light shone through a soft filter like a piece of white paper. Here, the thing is not to have glare off the subject and to have every part of the drawing equally lit. Direct flash doesn't work; bounced might. Flash is also correctly color balanced in the camera.
  • Shoot perpendicular to the paper and from as far a distance as practical to get a full frame, so as to decrease the differential in distance from the lens to the center vs. the edge of the drawing.
  • Use a tripod, if you can, along with a small f-stop and slow shutter speed. That will increase your depth of field and eliminate much of the problem with focus flare.
  • Experiment. Take a lot of photos until you get it right. That's what digital is great at -- it doesn't cost anything, just time. 8)
I hope this helps.
ClayMom
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Thanks!!!

Post by ClayMom »

Yes! That helps. I knew indoors wouldn't be right. I'll hand those directions to my hubby and sooner or later I'll learn how to do it myself. Thanks a lot for the advice.CM

Happy New Year!!!!! Hope to see you all posting after the SC12.5
I hope that in March we have a larger turn out than our last two. :roll:
ClayMom
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Heads Up

Post by ClayMom »

Hi Everyone, Just wanted to give a link to my blogger. There's not too much on it now,but I hope to put up some drawings soon. My husband had trouble putting a lot of pics at once on his blog so we'll see. I'm still learning all of this fun stuff!!!! Catch you later!!! CM

http://beansscene.blogspot.com/ :wink:
Area Man
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Area Man posts Helens sketches, says he's glad to help.

Post by Area Man »

Helen Gaus wrote:Image
Our first stop of the day. Wasn't quite ready even after 2 cups of java. But the juices started flowing after a bit. This is a church near the U of AZ campus.
This red sketch was at the Women's Memorial near Centennial Hall at the UA. Interesting site. A small wild bird hopped right onto my finger.
Statue outside of the main bookstore behind the UA Student Union. Wonderful in that it has a radiospectrum reflective mirror attached on top and is decorated with lovely terra cotta shapes and very special tiles created in Tucson by the Santa Theresa Tile Company. This construction, along its lines creates the desert in storm and sunshine, in daylight and by moonlight. Lovely, difficult to really do a long study but perfect for sketching. Very enjoyable.
These are sketches of a Yaqui (from northern Sonora Mexico) Deer Dancer and a Pascola dancer sketched from figures made from plaster casts of actual dancers. I have met the Deer Dancer several times and he has posed for me personally before. Look up the Yaqui cuersma Easter Lenten traditions. There are 5 villages in Arizona and many in northern Mexico. It was great to sketch at the AZ State Museum on the campus of the UA.
Yaqui Pascola Mask, Northern Sonora. I was delighted that the masks were such a quick study. Bliss....
Mayo Pascola mask, northern Sonora, Mexico. Again from the AZ State Museum. This group of people live near the Yaqui. This mask is of a goat, the traditional Pascola mask. The horse hair hangs off and is a lot of fun to draw. Both the Yaqui and Mayo perform the ritualistic Cuersma, Easter Lenten activities, strictly prescribed by the participants making a "manda", a promise to the Christian god, that they will dance each year. Many of the rituals and prayer circles are little known about, especially by Anglo society. These are rich wonderful cultures.
Mayo mask of anglo which was very interesting. Love the tufts of horse hair. This was a very fast sketch, something like minutes. Both Mayo and yaqui enjoy making masks of Anglos and believe or not, gang ghetto kids with mohawks! I have a collection and try to get the oddball creations. I was really hustling at this point because we were due to meet soon and review our sketches.
Hopi pots from the museum too. I now realize that colored pencil is not the way to go. Too time consuming. Next time it'll be the tools recommended on Enrico's list. I hadn't reviewed them. A great time though....
Hopi Katsina doll. 10 minute sketch.
Hopi Katsina doll of mudhead, a tradtional Hopi clown who is a major part of their traditional ceremonies. This was a very fast sketch, 5 minutes. Now, I really want to see what our other three sketchers did. Great day...quiet and doing what I most enjoy...

Well, I inadvertantly deleted my sketches from this posting yesterday by creating a set incorrectly. Hopefully all have returned. Helen
donnam
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by donnam »

Seems that you figured it out Helen. Nice.
Area Man
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Figure Sizes

Post by Area Man »

I think you could have posted the medium sizes without a problem. What resolution were they?
ClayMom
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

March SC..........anyone????

Post by ClayMom »

Hi Everyone! Just wondering if anyone plans to participate in Mar. Any ideas where??? Some place where everyone can meet, maybe without an admission. I know it's months away ,but times flies...... :roll: CM
donnam
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by donnam »

Please go to the 13th Crawl and post under Tucson any suggestions. Thanks.

Return to “12th World Wide SketchCrawl”