Phoenix - Arizona - USA

Saturday March 29th 2008
crgcas
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Phoenix - Arizona - USA

Post by crgcas »

Hey everyone! At least one more before it gets too hot. Once again, I can't wait - any suggestions for this one?
nikol
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by nikol »

Let's go to a place where the subjects don't move! I know you've done the Japanese Friendship Garden. Have you done Desert Botanical? Is there another cool garden around somewhere? Do any of the local colleges have a good garden? I know Mesa Community College has a rose garden but I don't think it has anything except for roses.

I'd like to do the Phoenix Art Museum but we should probably save that for when it is 100 degrees outside.

Nikol
nikol
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Downtown?

Post by nikol »

Has anyone thought of a great place to sketch? We ended up spending a bunch of money for entrance fees at the zoo. We could go downtown this time to Copper Square. We could draw buildings (the convention center, the big catholic church, heritage square, etc.) We could have lunch at one of the outdoor cafes so that we can relax and sketch at the same time. What do you think?

Nikol
crgcas
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Post by crgcas »

I concur with an outdoor venue - it should be fantastic weather. Downtown should be fairly central for everyone. Mark/Tony & Co. - any opinions??

sk8r14 would like to toss in a vote for a return to Cave Creek as well; it is further for most, but replete with a miscellany of sketching subjects.
artsyfran
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by artsyfran »

I'm new to sketchcrawl, but I'd love to participate. Downtown would be fun. I've also thought about the botanical gardens as a fun place to go before the heat hits!
crgcas
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Post by crgcas »

Welcome Fran!

I'd vote also for the Botanical Gardens. It is another place I have wanted to sketch for some time.
nikol
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by nikol »

I love sketching the Desert Botanical Gardens! I was somehow under the impression that the group had sketched them several times already. If that isn't the case, I would definitely vote for going to DBG. I think the butterfly pavilion will still be up then and it is a heavenly place to be on a March day in the desert.

Welcome Fran!

Nikol
Artvisionz
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

sketchCrawl Phoenix

Post by Artvisionz »

I'm another newbie and friend of other newbie, Fran! I'm interested in the SketchCrawl this year and wanted to cast my vote for Desert Botanical Gardens. I've lived in Phoenix since 1983 and have never been! And this would be my first SketchCrawl too so combining both 'firsts' would be great! Besides, this time of year is so nice out and all the cactus should start blooming by then, shouldn't they?
crgcas
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Post by crgcas »

I think the Botanical Garden is the winner then! Nope, we haven't been there yet just the Japanese Friendship Garden. It should be pretty nice there.!

We can end the day at the cafe and share sketchbooks and grab a snack. Looks like they have a lot of art programs onsite so we may not be the only ones sketching!

What time would everyone like to meet?
nikol
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by nikol »

They open at 8am. That seems a bit early. Do you want to shoot for 9am? That would give us three hours to sketch before lunching at the garden cafe. What does everyone else think?
crgcas
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Post by crgcas »

I concur, let's meet at 9am and if anyone wants to join later we can meet again at the cafe. If there is good coffee I'll be there a few times anyway. :wink:
Mossgate
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Count me in!

Post by Mossgate »

The Botanical Gardens is a great place to meet, especially in Spring.

I'm a newbie to this site and am very impressed.

Count me in for the Botanical Gardens at 9 a.m.

Mossgate
artsyfran
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by artsyfran »

9 am it is! Angie and I are looking forward to this and we'll likely bring some other newbies with us!
crgcas
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Post by crgcas »

Wow - looks like we should amost have a crowd! I will try to shake a few trees here also - see everyone Saturday. Looking forward to meeting everyone.
crgcas
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Post by crgcas »

Just got an email, so to be sure everyone is on the same page (& because there are a few gardens in town), we will meet at the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix which is right next to the Phoenix Zoo. We will meet at 9am at the cafe inside the Garden then finish the day at the cafe as well.

http://www.dbg.org/index.php/plan/patiocafe

Please send me a private message on this forum if you would like me to send you my cell phone number or email!

Return to “18th World Wide SketchCrawl”