Site Admin

San Francisco - CA - USA

Post by enrico »

So ... where do we crawl this time ?

e
Gerald

Re: San Francisco - CA - USA

Post by Gerald »

Hi SF crawlers....How about Fort Point? Looks like a great historical environment with several levels of artifacts from the Civil War. It's located underneath the Golden Gate Bridge with a picture perfect view as seen in several films.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Point,_San_Francisco

It's walking distance to a nice little coffee, tea, bookstore, just in front of a small fishing pier. It’s great dog friendly area that leads into Crissy Fields: Plenty of joggers, boardsailors, bicyclists, hundreds of birds and the occasional seals.

http://www.parksconservancy.org/our_wor ... ources.asp

If crawlers are up to trying the Northern part of the Bay Area, the town of Tiburon would be nice. Plenty of places to eat and great waterfront view of the city. Ferry would be an option for transportation.

http://www.ci.tiburon.ca.us/visitors/ph ... /index.asp
Eric Jones
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Eric Jones »

Great suggestions, Gerald! I especially like the idea of Fort Point, great location with lots of neat stuff to draw.

I've been trying to think of some good, reasonably-accessible locations, and unfortunately I keep coming back to places where previous 'Crawls have taken place (which I missed!). I thought about suggesting the Sutro Baths, but that seems a little out-of-the-way to me. And North Beach along Columbus has some great spots to draw, but parking's pretty tough, and it gets really crowded on weekends. I'd kind of like to sit and sketch in SoMa near AT&T Park sometime, but I suspect it's not such a great idea for a SketchCrawl...

Anyway, at this point I think my vote's for Fort Point!
Gerald

Post by Gerald »

Hey Eric,

I agree, it's been difficult to think of new places to crawl, but we revisited Chinatown and everyone had a blast.
So if SF-Sketchcrawlers would like to revisit a particular location, your suggestions are all welcomed :D

I was thinking of the Embarcadero area too. The farmers market at the Ferry building is always fun. Either direction
has plenty to sketch and explore. The piers on one end, AT&T park at the other end (like your suggestion) and the
Embarcadero Mall is right across the street. There's tons of people walking, jogging, roller-blading etc.
Parking would be an issue. I paid close to $20 for full day at a garage. But it's great for anyone taking
public transportation.

Fort Point has a couple places to park for free. There's limited parking at Fort Point. Then there's tons of parking
by Crissy Field. I'm sure public transportation heads that direction.
gustavo
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by gustavo »

I would like to mention Sausalito perhaps as a possible choice, just because I missed the previous one you guys had (I didn't know about Sketchcrawl back then). But that may be a bit far for some (lovely ferry ride for others).

However I am really open to any other location in SF. Since I don't live there, I welcome the exposure to any area I am not familiar with. The concern with me is parking, I was lucky last time... I got to park right next to the ocean, on the other side of the museum, they had free parking there, not a lot of spots but it was empty when I arrived there, its where the surfers park.

I have also never been to Tiburon. Fort Point, ah beautiful location - whenever I have a chance I like to go there and just park for a few minutes and enjoy the view.
Gustavo

https://www.gustavoarizmendi.com
SketchCrawl WebHosting / Maintenance donated by yours truly from 2007 to 2022.
pete
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by pete »

I'd go to the Mission. Very interesting, very different, lots to draw, lots of interesting people, lots of interesting buildings and art. And it's right on the BART.
frosti
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by frosti »

Gerald's got a great idea with Fort Point, I've never been over there. Tiburon would be cool, the SF'ers could meet up at the ferry and take that over, making it a lot like the Sausalito crawls. Sausalito is always fun too, though. Can't wait to see everyone!

-Paul
corrietravels
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by corrietravels »

I'd vote for Fort Point, the Mission or the Embarcadero (in that order)...regardless of the parking. All of these places have lots of visual interest. This will be my first SketchCrawl, and I'm REALLY looking forward to it. :D
blob
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by blob »

Hey there, fred the frenchie is back !
Or more like my trip to bangalore has been pushed back , so i ll be able to attend sketchcrawl here with you guys again :)

The fort is a good place to me. I ve been there once for a superb sunset !
eduardo
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by eduardo »

sup fellas?

had to miss the last one. what about pacific heights this time, or the marina? it'll be the warmest crawl of the year... probably lots of boats and people having fun there. hmm. i don't mind another embarcadero either hehe...

ed
jstevenson
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by jstevenson »

I have never been to one of these before but I think the Mission sounds fun because there are so many things to sketch and it is easy on the bus and the food is great....
Gerald

Post by Gerald »

Welcome aboard jstevenson!

Theses are all great suggestion, let's keep them coming
and maybe we can start a voting poll when June arrives?
emma
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by emma »

I like the idea of crissy field... it's beautiful out there. Lots of people to draw, fields to paint, and that old bridge!
hoffman
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by hoffman »

Crissy Fields DOES sound interesting. I have no idea where that is, but it sounds cool.
John D
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by John D »

Crissy Field does offer free parking.

It's also adjacent to a good marina. It's big and wide open but a very active place.
People flying kites. Joggers, some soccer. Bike riders, lots of walkers.
I do better drawing things that hold relatively still. So if Crissy Field were the choice,
I'd end up in the marina part which is OK too, cause I love boats.

That said, I live in Marin and think Sausalito would be an interesting visit for a SketchCrawl crowd.

I think on the date of the next crawl I'm scheduled to drop my son off at SFO airport.
So, I'll probably be crawling on my own that day.

I did a test run on my own when I picked him up at the airport:
People holding carts loaded with their baggage, Limo pick-ups with name signs,
a man watching the arrivals board with flowers for his sweetie

A few days later I found myself at a Starbucks with no sketchbook,
so I grabbed a bunch of napkins:
John Deckert
www.johnd.com

Return to “19th World Wide SketchCrawl”