Saturday June 21st 2008
crgcas
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Re: San Francisco [RESULTS]

Post by crgcas »

I always love seeing the SF sketches.

John D: Every one of these rocks. The staircase is excellent.

Enrico: Very cool, the pen and ink of the bridge is amazing.
martha
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by martha »

Hi all:

Wow - great sketches as always, SF group! This time around I couldn't make it over to join you, but I did do some sketches at home:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3129

John: I love your bold, sure lines. Great work.

Eli: Is that goache? Great effect, and I like the letters too.

Enrico: Love those people, and you bridge looks massive indeed. Sorry you're sick - feel better!

Emil: Great values - love the vague hills behind the bridge.

Seeker (Gus): You did so many sketches! Nicely done.

Frosti: Gorgeous color - wow!
-martha

*** Trumpetvine Sketchblog ***
granny c
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by granny c »

Wonderful sketches! And what an interesting place to be! Sure beats the heat where I was in Bryan, Texas ! :)
Cameron_C
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Cameron_C »

Great sketching everyone!!!

I finally got to participate in my first Sketchcrawl, :D yeah!!!. Although I got there late about 3 p.m. but was able to at least get in two color sketches. It was a real treat to see everyones sketchbook at the end, some really, really nice work. Looking forward to number 20 and actually sketching for the whole day. Here's my humble offerings to this post.

shawn
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by shawn »

Alright! Awesome work everyone! San Francisco looks wonderful and the color of the water is really cool. That bridge has a lot of detail and is an engineering masterpiece. Well done!
Karen
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Karen »

I'm sorry I missed out this time around! Keep the sketches coming!
splinesmith
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by splinesmith »

I drove in from the central valley, and was a bit late because of an accident on Highway 37. So here was my first sketch on the day:
Then got to Fort Point, and was immediately struck by how cold it was. I was dressed for hot weather, since they had said on the radio that it was going to reach 100 degrees in the city.
Then I became struck by a view from the courtyard of the fort, where you are looking up at the lighthouse on top of the fort, and high above and beyond it is the underside of the Golden Gate Bridge. It was a very compelling view, and I see a lot of people attempted to sketch that. I did too, and I'd have to say it was probably the most complicated sketch I'd ever attempted--it chewed me up and spat me out! But I tried, and here was the result (plus a photo of the same view):
It's bizarre to think that at some point people thought that lighthouse was real high up!
Then I sat in the car to warm back up, and got a bit too hot:
Heat must have cooked my brain, seeing as I misspelled the brand of the marker...
Here was my one watercolor attempt:
Then I walked over to the meeting place, which was a park at Crissy Field. The place was packed with people, and it seemed like no two people were doing the same thing. So I decided to try to depict as many different activities as I could see there:
And of course, one of the activities I saw was people sitting/standing around sketching!
It was a very fun day
John Atkinson
Atkinson Productions
othbot
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by othbot »

Hey great stuff! I wasn't able to stay as long as i wanted but here are some of the ones that turned out nice.

eli- i like you boldness of colors, i need to stop being wimpy and carry around thick gauche.
cameron-c really cool splotchy shapes which work and just look awesome.
splinesmith- has these very cute characters too!

gary
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by gary »

I got there much later than I wanted to. I saw Enrico on his way out of the fort as I was on my way in and didn't know what he was talking about it being cold and all until I sat down to draw. Here is the lighthouse looking like a Victorian lunar landing module beneath that spectacular arch of the Golden Gate Bridge.

And here is a quick sketch of one of the upper passageways, a few of the cannons that were on display on the ground floor (too bad they've been removed from the parapets), that tripod /winch thing, and fellow crawler Justin looking rather heavily defended. I found the passport-style souvenir stamp at the Warming Hut at the end of the day.

I wish I'd had more time to draw.
Good to see you all there!
Eli Harris
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Eli Harris »

I was packing some acrylics that day with some FW inks. I usually pack my guache but it felt like a good day to break out the plastics. I can't wait to see more of everyone's work. This is the best part of being an illustrator, getting to see other artists' work. What a show!
biotron
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by biotron »

Hi everyone. This was my first SketchCrawl and it was definitely a good time. The sketchbook sharing at the end of the day was really inspiring... almost intimidating. Unfortunately, I'll probably be doing future SketchCrawls in SoCal, since that's where I live these days. Here's a few sketches.

Hope to see you all again, sometime.

-Anthony
http://anthonysrivero.blogspot.com/
mr.sch
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by mr.sch »

First one is hypnotizing, and that landscape really takes you there, and the bridge over head, and cannon, and... huh, great works SF crew.
ChristinaA
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by ChristinaA »

Great stuff! I am full of admiration how well you all managed to sketch something so difficult (to me anyway) as the underside of the Golden Gate Bridge! I had give up after five minutes :oops:
Enrico - I love your quick sketches of people!
Eric Jones
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Eric Jones »

Beautiful work, everyone!

I was disappointed to discover that a memorial I was attending was on the same day as the SketchCrawl, leaving me no choice but to miss yet another chance at meeting you all. Oh well -- next time (I hope!).
raison
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by raison »

eli, i immediately saw the influence and its impact from your years of studies in your sketchbook. your style and your interpretation are wonderful, in my opinion, and define an interesting personal aesthetic. it's rare to see such complete looking illustrations inside a sketchbook. your sketchbooks are some of the ones to wait around for while they're being handed from person to person in the crowd!
thanks for sharing!
We are living in a time when civilization has become highly expert in the art of destroying human beings and increasingly weak in its power to bring meaning to their lives. --Ben Shahn

Return to “19th World Wide SketchCrawl”