Invitation to SketchCrawl in Freestone, CA (Sonoma Co)

Share any drawings from your sketchcrawls

Moderator: Gerald

susancornelis
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Invitation to SketchCrawl in Freestone, CA (Sonoma Co)

Post by susancornelis »

I hope you can join me on Saturday April 25th for a country-style SketchCrawl, starting at the Wild Flour Bread bakery, 940 Bohemian Highway in Freestone, 95472 http://www.wildflourbread.com

Freestone is such a lovely little place with not only bread ovens and vegetable gardens to sketch, but cows and barns and goats and houses with white picket fences and flower gardens, and of course lots of people eating ginger pear scones!

I’ll be there 9:00am-1pm, sketching til I crawl.  Come by whenever you can or, if you’re hardy, spend the whole day.  At 1:00 we’ll meet back in the parking lot at Wild Flour to share our sketches with each other.  This is a free event (except for the bakery goodies). Please leave the bakery parking lot available for the patrons’ use and find parking elsewhere.

Hope to see you there!
susancornelis
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: Invitation to SketchCrawl in Freestone, CA (Sonoma Co)

Post by susancornelis »

Twenty people showed up today for the first sketchcrawl held in Freestone, California. And the time literally flew by so fast! We sketched 9-1 and never made it past the one corner with the bakery, gift shop with the ultra-cool sun hats, cow barn and vegetable gardens. I learned so many new sketching tips and got to see old friends and meet new ones.

Throughout the morning throngs of people kept arriving at this little Wild Flour Bread bakery, including the antique car procession. I finally retreated to the back yard where the beautifully cultivated vegetable garden is, and there settled into drawing some colorful chard. At 1pm the sketchers who were still left congregated at the picnic table there to share what they’d done and exchange tips.

There was a lot of interest in doing this again. So if you weren’t able to come. . .maybe next time!

Joanie Springer had the coolest set up, which I may just have to try. It’s such a balancing act to deal with the paint and the brush and the paper towel and the water and the sketchbook without some of it ending up on the ground or in the bushes! Here’s her solution:
Everything velcros or clips onto a light weight plastic board she got at Tap Plastics! THe palette is a cheap drugstore watercolor palette with professional watercolor pigments squeezed in. Thank you Joanie!

I also learned some tips from Elizabeth Merriman, whose sketchbooks are filled with delicate borders, banners, elegant text and signature blocks. Lots of new things to try.

Next weekend, May 2 and 3, I’ll be teaching a retreat style Nature Sketchbooking Workshop Saturday and Sunday at the Mendocino Art Center, a captivating location by the beach. There’s still time to sign up for that one if you’re free!
gustavo
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: Invitation to SketchCrawl in Freestone, CA (Sonoma Co)

Post by gustavo »

Sounds you all had a great day! Could you post some of the sketches you did? hopefully some of the other people can do the same.
Thanks
Gustavo

https://www.gustavoarizmendi.com
SketchCrawl WebHosting / Maintenance donated by yours truly from 2007 to 2022.

Return to “Random SketchCrawlings”