San Francisco, CA - USA

Saturday January 10th 2009

Are you up for meeting only at the end of the day for this sketchcrawl?

Yes, let's try it!
43%
Uhm, not sure...
13%
Nah, I'd rather not.
43%

Total votes: 30

thirdraildesignlab
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: San Francisco, CA - USA

Post by thirdraildesignlab »

I'm looking forward to this! Ferry meet-up is a good idea. Open space, visible, not dependent upon vendor cooperation. Anyone biking, or all on foot? Assuming weather permits, I'll ride.
Third Rail Design Lab - http://www.thirdraildesignlab.com
Danny
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Danny »

wow, did we just agree on ferry building to de young? That is going to be A LOT of "crawl" I remember japantown to palace of fine arts sketchcrawl being way too much "crawl" for most people...

I like the optional start point and agreed upon final location.
AtomicBear
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by AtomicBear »

If we meet at the ferry building, where? Just in front under the clock tower, or inside where it might be warmer? If people want to meet first we could meet in the hall outside of Pete's and then folks can get some coffee to take with them. If so, this is where it would be http://www.ferrybuildingmarketplace.com ... map.php#43.
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by MartyLynn »

:thumbup: 10am in front of Peet's sounds good to me. And I I'll try to be at the De Young Cafe' at 4pm, too. :thumbup:
thirdraildesignlab
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

I'm cool with that!!! Peets it is. Hall inside near exterior entrance, correct? Not outside at patio?
vandyke
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by vandyke »

Okay, I like the Peet's idea - much warmer. Peet's to meet at 10 am. then crawl our way over to eventually arrive at the DeYoung at 4 pm. Think I'll drive.
'One can have no smaller or greater mastery than mastery of oneself.' - Leonardo da Vinci
janabouc
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by janabouc »

So as an East Bay person and not as familiar as I should be with getting around in SF, I'm wondering how most people will travel from the Ferry Building to the DeYoung. Google maps says it's a 5 mile, 1 1/2 hour walk each way....doable, but a lot of walking, especially if you have to get back to the Ferry Building to take BART home. Or will be people be taking the bus? Google says to take the "21 - Hayes to Fulton & 6th Ave" which departs from Steuart St & Mission St. I'm planning to be there if the weather is halfway decent.
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

The N Juda line on Muni is what you need ... and you'll get off at 9th and Irving in the inner sunset then walk to Golden Gate Park and the museum ...

e
thirdraildesignlab
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

well, the short answer is that yes, you'll probably want to take the bus. You don't have to take that SPECIFIC bus, depending on where you happen to be and how much walking you don't mind doing up at the park end of things, but assuming you don't mind a walk through the park, you can figure that any of the buses traveling up market from downtown will get you farther up where the individual lines bleed off and head into the grid towards the park, market running diagonally from that grid. So, the Haight street bus, for example, which if memory serves, much like the Parnassus lines are picked up in the islands in the middle of Market, will all shoot up Haight where Haight meets upper market, then those will continue up to Haight and Cole Valley. Cole Valleyt is just to the southwest of upper haight, which dead ends into the easternmost edge of the park. Haight follows along Panhandle Park, which terminates into GG Park. So, if you took those, you'd walk into the park and head for the De Young, a ways down. A nice walk. If you take one of the buses that serves the Hayes Valley neighborhood, such as the 5 Fulton or the 21 Hayes, these I believe are picked up on the side of Market, not in the middle island, and these will turn up earlier than the Haight buses do, onto their own respective streets, and ultimately get you to the park. The Fulton bus will continue along the North side of the park's length and get you VERY close to the de Young.

So, really, once you get up to the park's edge, at least it's a pretty walk!
thom
frosti
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by frosti »

Nice - so at the deYoung at 4pm for the afternoon? See you all there!
Last edited by frosti on Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
pete
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by pete »

Thing is, at that time of day, after the meet-up, it's also a dark walk back to the bus, in the park. It's kind of out of the way for a meet-up, given this is a 'sketch anywhere' crawl, and doesn't the de young close fairly early? Fine if you're driving, not so much if you're taking the bus back to the BART.
marc_taro
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by marc_taro »

um ya, De Young isn't a great end spot IMO. It's not super near food, bars or transit (all the natural post-sketching destinations) and the museum closes at 515.
I liked a previous suggestion - the Metreon. Its not classy, but it's open late, its central and its big enough.
thirdraildesignlab
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

I'm not sure I'll be able to be there at the end, myself, but I do agree Metreon sounds less onerous for those on foot...
martha
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by martha »

I was at the deYoung museum on a Saturday recently and the Cafe was packed. Just thought I'd throw that in here. :)
-martha

*** Trumpetvine Sketchblog ***
Satoshi
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Satoshi »

I guess the end point is at De young? I don't see any new poll for the destination. An open area like the Meteron is nicer and the hours are more flexible. But if it is De young then I'll be there, in fact a little early since that place closes quite early.

As for the public transits I'd suggest for all the people who are not familiar with SF to go to the BART station for the free orange brochure with the map of SF and the transit lines. That way at least you know which buses go where throughout the city and there is one bus that directly goes by the De Young Muesum. Hope that helps. :D
S

Return to “21st World Wide SketchCrawl”