Sarasota, FL - USA

Saturday January 10th 2009

Pick 2 - What Time Should we start (AM's)? What Time Should we Meet up to Share work (PM's)?

8 am
No votes
9 am
50%
10 am
No votes
11 am
No votes
12 am
No votes
5 pm
No votes
6 pm
No votes
7 pm
25%
8 pm
25%
don't meet up
No votes

Total votes: 4

kmillustration
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Sarasota, FL - USA

Post by kmillustration »

I'm pretty sure Sarasota has never participated in one of these but I'm going to try and change that.

Here's a few ideas of how we could run it:
* Meet up at Ringling College of Art and Design in the morning, if you would like to set out on your own or in a group you could do so then.
* Groups could set up to meet for breakfast or take a break for lunch/picnic somewhere.
* Something that could be really great if anyone is interested we could meet up when everyone is done (or around dinner) to share sketchbooks and enjoy each others work.

If you would like to meet up with a group or individual later on in the day that's no problem, just get someones phone number.
This is to be a very relaxing event.
It's not cut and dry, if you want to go out with a special group of your own that's great.
If you want to go out really early or really late there is no time limit.
If you draw fast or slow, take your time, it's all about having fun and enjoying the day. :D

- Kendra

PS - If you have any ideas of where would be best to meet, start or finish, or if you have any questions, please feel free to join in!
Thorsx
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Re: Sarasota, FL - USA

Post by Thorsx »

My name is Tom and I am an instructor at Full Sail here in Orlando FL. I am considering seeing if any students or faculty want to crawl in O-town, but I might consider a ride out to Sarisota if the sketching locations sound great. If I were to go out to Sarisota, then I wouldn't start sketching till late, maybe lunchtime, because of the drive. So I would have to just meet up with the group to compare notes for dinner. Let me know how the plans progress. My primary interest is to find out where your group might sketch, campus, museum, a street fair?
kmillustration
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by kmillustration »

If you're interested in coming to Sarasota we have a Classic Car Museum and the John and Mable Ringling Museum right across the street form each other, both cost a bit to get in. Next to the Museum is New College though and you can actually sneak on to the Museum property through the back to see the Ringling Mansion and flower garden. They usually don't care if you're just back there to draw or paint.
There is also the Ringling campus if you've never seen it, main street with little shops and restaurants. Marina Jacks is another possibility, there are yachts as well as boats that people dock offshore and live on. It also has a pretty good size park and a variety of sculptures. St. Armand's Circle is another place with shops and eateries close to Lido beach and is great for a snack. I wouldn't walk there but if you're interested Siesta Key is here and its always at the top of the lists of beaches in the US. Thinking about all of those places reminded me of a little area called Burns court, they have an indie theatre with older houses and little allies you can barely get a car through and some very fun architecture.

As far as where we'll be sketching it'll probably be playing it by ear, some people will go off on their own at their own pace and some people will stick with the group so it's really dependent on what everyone feels like doing at the time. Worst case scenario no one draws together and we just all meet up at the end and see where people went. :D

Hope that helps with your decision making, I'm sure you could look some of the places up on the web to make sure it's worth the drive. Sarasota is a somewhat small town with its own charm, older people, and dogs.

To everyone I forgot to post this previously.
FACEBOOK GROUP:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/event ... 944&ref=mf
Thorsx
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Thorsx »

I have been to the Ringling Museum. Last time I was there it had some sort of medieval festival going on outside which made for good sketching. I like the notion of sneaking onto the mansion property for a sketch, and Burns court sounds like the tight streets of Italy which would be fun to draw. A trip out to Sarisota would a great adventure and it is always fun to meet new artists. The only trade off would be fewer sketches, unless I sketch on the drive over as well. I also assume I would spend the day sketching on my own then meet the group for dinner. I will check this thread once in a while to find out where your group plans to meet for dinner.

I am drawing up a poster for the O-Town Crawl today. I will leave the drawing destination vague for now and let any interested artists post opinions on this site. If no one shows interest then I will just follow my gut on the day of the crawl. If the 2 groups do not get together for this crawl then perhaps a joint crawl would work next time around. I have never organized anything like this so I do not know what to expect.
kmillustration
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by kmillustration »

I regret to inform but I will not be in the area, which as much as I want to participate I'll be in NY. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this causes. I will hopefully still be out drawing that day just not in Sarasota. i still hope everyone plans to go out and draw!!!

Hope everyone has a great Winter Break!

These are held every so often so if there is another while I'm still in the Sarasota Area I will definitely post again. I'm really sorry i wont be around to go with everyone, I'm really sad about it. :[

Return to “21st World Wide SketchCrawl”