Los Angeles, CA - USA

Saturday January 10th 2009
John Juan
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Los Angeles, CA - USA

Post by John Juan »

So I had last minute car failure the last time. I'm not missing this one. Where should we go? Everyone cast your ballot.

-John
Last edited by John Juan on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ice-Cream Monster
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Re: Los Angeles Proper

Post by Ice-Cream Monster »

We can pick some places Christmasy ... how about places like the Original Farmer's Market/The Grove ... or Americana in Glendale. They looks pretty around Christmas ... :D
John Juan
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by John Juan »

The grove sounds great Alina. I wasn't even thinking about Christmas stuffs yet.

I noticed you like ice cream Alina. Have you ever been to Scoops on Heliotrope by LACC? That place is my all time favorite ice cream shop.
Ice-Cream Monster
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Never been to Scoops on Heliotrope ... would be fun to go up to placese that snow too ... hummmm .... LOL
African.Rhino
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by African.Rhino »

I cant wait till january. Its gonna be so much fun!
this will be my first crawl <3
:D
devilmonkey
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by devilmonkey »

Soon-to-be new crawler here, very much looking forward to January...

Curious as to where have past LA crawls been held?

Would be nice to go somewhere were we could walk around all day...like a Pasadena or maybe Silverlake?
squidder
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: Los Angeles, CA - USA

Post by squidder »

i'm pretty excited about this!

where are we meeting up? i read that someone wanted to go to the Original Farmer's Market/The Grove or the Americana. that sounds pretty cool. perhaps we could venture into Marina Del Rey or certain places that have some expansive walking area... like Little Tokyo or Chinatown or something. I am just throwing things out there. It would be pretty cool!
TheTam
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by TheTam »

Almost any place sounds really good :)
What time are we meeting up? Same as last time 10 am?

I was also wondering, last time I went to the sketch crawl in Marina Del Rey I only got to meet a few people. Only 3 I think including Alina Chau. I was wondering if we should have a meet up time towards the end where we all meet up and share our sketches? I understand if some people are unable to make it and have to leave early, but it's just a suggestion since I would love to see everyone else's artwork.
If not, I can always check online :)
shihonakaza
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by shihonakaza »

Hi everyone,

I also think going to walkable area with easy/cheap parking and a place to meet afterwards to share the sketches is a good idea - since it's "wintertime", somewhere that still has holiday decorations might offer more things to draw. Americana in Glendale would be somewhere new to try.
Some people in the past suggested Echo Park and Universal Citywalk. Also: has anyone been to Grand Central Market/The Bradbury Building in downtown LA? If so, how walkable/meetable is the area?

In the past L.A. Sketchcrawls as far as I remember, we've been to: Pasadena, Olvera Street/Union Station, Koreatown (which I missed :( ), Venice, Santa Monica Pier/Third Street Promenade, The Grove/Farmer's Market, Chinatown, Little Tokyo, Balboa Park, Eaton Canyon, Marina Del Rey. We can certainly visit any of those places again if there are enough interest.
squidder
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by squidder »

Hey guys,
so I think that where ever we meet for January 9th, we should actually meet up before we part on our ways to go draw. That way it's not just a "go draw" thing, but then we can also meet people and if people want, we can travel as a small group or in pairs. Are we meeting up at 10 or 11 am?

It would be awesome if we could figure out where we want to draw and post the final place so we can all plan to attend this! :lol:

Then it would be cool to meet up after our day of drawing to have some dinner and to show and talk about our drawings. Hence, dinner would be less awkward if we got to know each other before we went off sketching! We can figure this out when we know for sure where we are drawing.

Does this sound legit?
Thanks!
monking
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by monking »

I have a membership to the L.A. Zoo, and two guest passes. Maybe not this time around, since it's a little isolated and people are feeling social and let's-have-dinnerish. But I suggest that we make the zoo a sketchcrawl destination one of these days. I haven't been there in a few weeks. Alina, does the place have enough atmosphere this time of year to keep a bunch of sketchcrawlers interested?

Marina del Rey was my first crawl, so I am all for a return to a previous winner. I think I might be too cold to draw in the snow, but if it's a really pretty or interesting place, I'm sure I could't resist. I know you want to be in snow, Alina.
shihonakaza
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by shihonakaza »

To clarify, the Sketchcrawl is on January 10th - usual start time is 10:30am (a halfway compromise between 10am and 11am :D )
We can meet up at a central location, meander off in groups/pairs/solo, and meet up later for a meal. Maybe somewhere that is walkable yet has indoor area in case it rains, like the Americana or the Grove?

As for place with snow in LA...hmmm, that's a tough one...though if you want to see ice, there is a small outdoor ice skating rink near 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica (http://downtownsm.com/calendar/icerink.html). There will be lots of kids to draw. I remember Universal CityWalk used to have an outdoor ice skating rink during winters, too.
African.Rhino
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by African.Rhino »

I dont think I could make it for a group crawl this time around.
Im in the SFvalley and plan on doodling in a park or maybe a diner/cafe. :think:
Cant wait to see all the amazingness
<3
Ice-Cream Monster
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Happy New Year everyone!! :lol:

LA Zoo is a great place to draw, but from past experience, not everyone is willing to pay for the zoo entrance. But if many people are interested, it would be a great place to draw. Let's suggest LA Zoo here, and see how is everyone's respond to this location.

Other places ...
Americana Mall in Glendale - it's festive in holiday season

Universal Citywalk - fun place for people watching. Free parking and shuttle available in the area

Grand Central Market/The Bradbury Building - is a great suggestion, we never sketchcrawl there! Anyone know whether we need to RSVP to enter Bradbury Building

Or ... if you are interested, we can try the Self-Guilded LA Historic Downtown Tours. Here is more information:
http://www.laconservancy.org/tours/tour ... uided.php4

:mrgreen:
monking
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by monking »

I vote for the Americana mall in Glendale. I'm looking at photos and I can hardly believe it. Neat buildings and a trolley.

Return to “21st World Wide SketchCrawl”