Los Angeles, CA - USA

Saturday January 10th 2009
shihonakaza
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Re: Los Angeles, CA - USA

Post by shihonakaza »

Hi Everyone,

I vote for the Americana as well - there should be plenty to sketch, and would be a better option than somewhere completely outdoors in case it rains. :)
SreudianFlip
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by SreudianFlip »

Has there ever been a Transit-themed crawl in LA. I mean, now that we have the orange, gold , red and blue lines of rail now. And the price of admission is a $5 all day ticket.
There are lots of stops on the Gold line in SoPas, Pas, Chinatown and downtown that give lots of draw-porturnities.
Ice-Cream Monster
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by Ice-Cream Monster »

Americana seems like a popular choice ... and we never draw there before. How about let's go to Americana this time. Meet up outside Barnes and Noble at 10:30am?

Transit-themed crawl sounds like a fun idea. We have been to SoPas, Pas, Chinatown and downtown on various crawl, but not travel by train. Would be fun to try train traveling next time. :P
strawberrykiss379
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by strawberrykiss379 »

U skechcrawl staturday at the americana sound very exiting.... im looking forward to meet everyone!!!! :P
shihonakaza
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by shihonakaza »

Americana sounds good - I've never been there before either, so it'll be a fresh place to sketch. I'll pass on the info to my fellow members at Society of Illustrators of Los Angeles.

10:30am
Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Americana at Brand - Meet at front of Barnes and Noble
889 Americana Way
Glendale, CA 91210
http://www.americanaatbrand.com/

I'd love to do the transit-themed crawl next time, when I can set aside a longer time to devote to it!
monking
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by monking »

I just read Enrico's RSS feed today and I think that the SF crawl has a really good idea. Meet at the end of the crawl when everyone's tired, have a good meal and some drinks, and tell stories from our drawings. Sounds lovely, doesn't it?

Our city may be too poorly connected for several different treks to convene conveniently. Ideally we'd work our way slowly over a greater distance and arrive for an early dinner at dusk with some real stories. Hmmm. Maybe Friday I can scope out the area for interesting routes.
TheMonkeyking
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by TheMonkeyking »

So is this a sketch crawl or a sketch park my car and sit in 1 location all day? ;)

I thought the idea was to go different places all day and sketch?
Like a Bar crawl, where you do a bunch of bars in a night.

Just wondering.

Oh, and the metro Sketch crawl sounds like an amazing idea.
inkplay
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by inkplay »

Hey guys!
I haven't crawled in a while but the Americana is right by my apartment. Too close to pass up. I'll pedal over Sat morning and see you there!
-Kelly
shihonakaza
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by shihonakaza »

We can come back to the idea of sketching from place to place by doing metro Sketch Crawl next time - It'll be fun to draw different parts of L.A. in one day!
For this Saturday, we can go to the Americana, meet first and meander/sketch, and meet again later at a set time to share our stories and sketches :thumbup:
Ice-Cream Monster
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by Ice-Cream Monster »

We can always draw at Americana ... if anyone is interested, may be we can cook up another location near by ... walk there or drive there after lunch ... Griffin Park is kind of nearby ... and the LA Equestrain Center is not far away either. :D
monking
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by monking »

I figured the "crawl" was from one point and then wandering around... on foot. My only crawl was at Fisherman's Village, and pretty much anywhere has a broader space than that little strip. Still, it was worthwhile.

I'm all for wandering off the mall. I don't like malls, in general, but the photos of this one made it seem more like an old town square. To anyone who knows the area, please to welcome any good locations in walking distance.

Perhaps I'm in the wrong city to have legs.
SreudianFlip
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by SreudianFlip »

Alrighty then....I will see y'all at the americana...looking forward to my first crawl.
I plan on taking the train up there from the south bay...
I'll try to bring a friend too:thumbup:
shihonakaza
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by shihonakaza »

Thanks for all of your suggestions, everyone!

I've already announced the location as Americana on Society of Illustrators of LA blog and Illustration.org, so we can still meet there at 10:30 and meander off to somewhere nearby later...LA Equestrian Center sounds fascinating - drawing horses would be a challenge!

monking, I hear you about non-walkability of LA. I usually walk or bike within my town, and would be interested in exploring other parts of city on foot. As a side note, here's an interesting photo journal: http://walkinginla.com/
monking
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by monking »

I mentioned at the crawl that I use a semi-glove with my Wacom. It's called a SmudgeGuard (http://www.smudgeguard.com/).

Return to “21st World Wide SketchCrawl”