New York City

Saturday January 10th 2009
John D
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Re: New York City

Post by John D »

That Joshua Bell story is true. Happened in Washington. In fact, you can see/hear video of the event on the Washington Post website. http://tinyurl.com/32a32w
I've been to 3 crawls so far. Sketchcrawl 21 in San Francisco will be my 4th. I can tell you from my experience in New York City, that many people who rush by on the sidewalks and in the subway don't do so with their ears and minds closed. I have walked the streets and sat on the subway many times over more than 20 years. The people in the city have to keep their schedule, but they do appreciate, REALLY appreciate the street musicians that perform there. It's part of the ambiance. No, that word is not enough. It is part of the culture. I know a band leader who organized for many events. He told me once he tried to get a guy to play at one of his events. The saxophonist (I think) refused because it meant he would lose his corner that night and the corner paid more than the union musician would offer him. Now that's not true for everyone, but I know there can be competition for the good spots. I know too that the people who pass by that corner don't just hear someone once, they hear them everyday. And even though they never stop, never pay, maybe never even smile, I know they listen. I know they feel that it is one of those things about New York City that makes it a great city.
John Deckert
www.johnd.com
Alisa
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by Alisa »

Great to hear so many will be sketching in NYC! There will also be a group meeting at 11:30 in the lobby of the Museum of Natural History near the dinosaur skeleton. Will probably see some of you at the James Jean gallery in the evening. Can't wait to see your drawings from the day.
Leonard
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Leonard »

Helllloooooooooooo everyone,
This will be my very first sketchcrawl...I have been meaning to do this for a long time so here I come.
I am going to try to be at Grand Central at 11 maybe a little later.
Looking forward to meeting you,

David

Return to “21st World Wide SketchCrawl”