Long Island, New York [Results]

Saturday January 10th 2009
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Long Island, New York [Results]

Post by Joan T »

Usually I sketchcrawl with my sister, Michelle, in New Jersey, but due to the weather forecast for snow/ice and the cold I have, I decided to stay closer to home. I got up and had a nice cup of hot coffee to get me ready to head on out.

I headed to Sayville, Long Isand which is the next town over from me. It has lots of interesting houses, stores, a quaint downtown area and many marinas. My first sketch is of a store called "Past & Present" which is right in the center of the downtown area. It was too cold to sit outside and sketch, but I was able to get a parking spot right near this shop and sat in the front seat of my car to sketch and paint. The next sketch was done from the exact same parking place (a two-for-one special). I think there is a Starbucks in just about any town now. Even though it was cold these people were content to sit outside and sip and talk even with a few snow flurries falling.

I wanted to sketch some of the sailboats down by the water, but most of them have been stored for the winter, or are covered up. Nothing looked too promising until I found this old boat shack. The weathered look to it is what attracted me. So I found a spot to park the car, adjusted the front seat to give me a little more room, and sketched this next one.

By now I was feeling hungry and needed to warm up a bit. With the price of gas still rather high, I didn't want to keep turning on the engine to get heat. I drove to Sal's Pizzeria wich is in Sayville. I picked a table with a view of the counter and sketched while I ate. There is a lot going on inside a pizza place. I probably could have done more than one sketch there, but didn't want to hog a table for too long.

Before I left Sayville, I parked so that I had a view of the main street of the downtown area. You can see quite a ways down the street. A pharmacy is on the corner, and then I think the building with the blue canopy out front is a chocolate store.

My final sketches were done at the library in my home town of Holbrook. There are usually a lot of people sitting around reading. I picked a few to sketch, but none of them stayed very long.

I think it was a rather successful day, but I much prefer doing the Sketchcrawl with my sister. I hope the weather will be better for the next one and that we can find someplace to sketch together.
sketchgurl
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Re: Long Island, New York

Post by sketchgurl »

Excellent sketches, Joan. Inspite of the weather, you did such a good job.
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Joan T »

Sketchcrawl - Thanks so much! It was fun to do even in the cold. I ended up being out sketching in the car for about 5 hours.
mhimeswc
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by mhimeswc »

Wow, you got a lot done! My favorites are Past and Present, and the boat shack. You also did a great job with the pizza makers. You have a talent for sketching people on the move.

I missed sketching with you, too. Hope you are feeling better.

Mickey
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Joan T »

Thanks, Mickey! Hopefully by the next crawl the weather will be better and we can join forces again. I'd still like to do one in the city sometime.
sumacm
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by sumacm »

Great sketches!! Kudos for braving the weather and sketching outdoors!
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Re: Long Island, New York [Results]

Post by Joan T »

Slumacm - Thanks. I find it so much easier to think of outdoor places to sketch. As long as I can keep warm in my car it isn't a problem.
pberry
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by pberry »

Sketches look great Joan. I love that Boat House. I think for the next crawl I'll pursue something similar to your library sketches. Parks have been my addiction lately.
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Joan T »

pberry - Thanks so much. It is hard to think of indoor places to sketch without just doing people. I can't wait until it is warm enough to do one outdoors again.
m9fred
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
Austria

Post by m9fred »

You did a great job, Joan! Sketching outdoors in winter, alone and for hours that's admirable.
I like the boat shack and "Past & Present" with the nice brickwork which looks like glowing in warm sunlight surrounded by cool colors. The people at work in the pizzeria is a beautiful motif.
Thanks for the additional information to each picture.

Manfred
kumi matsukawa
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by kumi matsukawa »

Wow! you are very talented !
I love every one of your skeches, (especially coffee shop and boat shack ) Well done. :P

Return to “21st World Wide SketchCrawl”