San Francisco, CA, USA

Saturday July 11th 2009

Where should we have our next Sketchcrawl?

Poll ended at Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:43 pm

Cliff House/ Ocean Beach/ Sutro Baths
12%
The Mission/ Dolores Park/ Castro
12%
North Beach
No votes
Golden Gate Park
18%
Presidio
35%
Berkeley
12%
UC Botanical Gardens
6%
SOMA and Museums (MOMA, Cartoon Art Museum, Metreon, Yerba Buena Gardens)
6%

Total votes: 17

hawaiianpunch
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

San Francisco, CA, USA

Post by hawaiianpunch »

Hey all :wave: ,

The last one, my first, was really great and I can't wait for the next one. I didn't see a thread for the SF crew so I thought I'd start it. I also wanted to throw out an idea. I don't know how many people already stay in the city, but would anybody be interested in taking it to the east bay for once? Say, starting off at People's Park on Telegraph and spreading out from there. Just a thought.

My first choice for an SF neighborhood would be the Mission. OK, discuss. :D
bruceb
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: San Francisco, CA, USA

Post by bruceb »

Hi,
Just found "you guys" via one of those circuitous internet routes.
Started with the announcement that The New Yorker magazine cover was done on an iPhone with the "Brushes" application...
from there to the Gallery... from there to Goro Fujita... from there to SketchCrawl.
I live in the East Bay. A trip to SF or Berkeley sounds delightful. I'm sure I could amuse my self in any neighborhood. I tend to more of a detail or landscape person than a portrait person, but there are details everywhere.
Consider my self early in my drawing evolution. Doing more each year, though my primary artistic endeavor is photography. (See http://www.brucebarrett.com)

I've "penciled in" July 11th for SketchCrawl. Estimated time and duration would be nice to know too.
All the best,
Bruce
Barbara
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Barbara »

East Bay, yes, please. I live in Berkeley. If anybody is interested in Nature, in contrast to City, then UC Botanical Gardens are a great place. Full of variety. And benches here and there to sit while you draw.
janabouc
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by janabouc »

EAST BAY would be great! The downtown Berkeley BART station is 2 blocks from the beautiful UCB Campus, also a few blocks from a huge farmers market, parks, nearby seedy Telegraph Ave., about 8 blocks from North Berkeley's "Gourmet Ghetto" with many cafe's and interesting shops along the way.
MatthewTardiff
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by MatthewTardiff »

I vote East Bay as well. There are lots of interesting people to see on Shattuck. :-)
But I'm game for whatever so lets get a list of possibilities going so we can vote.

My choices:
1.Berkeley
a.Botanical Garden
b.Telegraph from the Campus to just past Sharks Vintage Clothing.
c. Shattuck from University to Adeline.

2. Somewhere on Mission St

3.North Beach

4.Lake Merrit

5.Golden Gate Park
GlennHernandez
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by GlennHernandez »

Hello everyone,

Matthew, thanks for the link... thought I would add my two cents. I like all of your ideas for the East Bay. There is also the Berkeley Rose Garden which should be pretty nice. Up and Down College Ave is also cool, though not as much variety in terms of people etc. There is also Solano Ave. which is a nice long walk starting from San Pablo. The Berkeley Marina is also interesting and I have thought of sketching there before. Gilman may also be an option, there are some nice industrial environs around there and it is also off of San Pablo.
gustavo
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by gustavo »

Hi,

I would suggest for you guys/gals to create an East Bay and/or East Bay City specific topic, and keep the San Francisco specific to San Francisco.
This will allow those that are only interested in the East Bay location to more easily participate in the planning.

Thanks
Gustavo

https://www.gustavoarizmendi.com
SketchCrawl WebHosting / Maintenance donated by yours truly from 2007 to 2022.
TeresaNord
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by TeresaNord »

Oh, yay! I'll be down in San Francisco that weekend! (Animation Mentor job fair, grad, and bbq)
I'll have to plan on sketch crawling as well.. I've always wanted to sketch crawl with the SF group!
MatthewTardiff
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by MatthewTardiff »

gustavo wrote:Hi,

I would suggest for you guys/gals to create an East Bay and/or East Bay City specific topic, and keep the San Francisco specific to San Francisco.
This will allow those that are only interested in the East Bay location to more easily participate in the planning.

Thanks

Sorry, I figured since the East bay was so close it would be appropriate to place in here. Starting an East Bay thread. :thumbup:
gustavo
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by gustavo »

Thank you for creating the other topic MatthewTardiff we appreciate your assistance, we just want to keep locations organized so that all the available locations get the visibility they deserve.

@Bruce
We are glad to have you after that detour, it was meant to be! Isn't funny just how unexpected detours sometimes send us on greater learning experiences?
Gustavo

https://www.gustavoarizmendi.com
SketchCrawl WebHosting / Maintenance donated by yours truly from 2007 to 2022.
hawaiianpunch
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by hawaiianpunch »

Hey all,

Sorry if there was any confusion. I had the same idea since the east bay was so close to San Francisco, I thought it wasn't going to be a big deal. My other reasoning was not to split up a big group since we are one of, if not the, largest sketchcrawls around. I'm down for wherever as long as I get to sketch. That's the main purpose anyways, right?

I didn't see any suggestions yet for an SF neighborhood. May I suggest Cliff House/Ocean Beach? I've always wanted to go back down to the Sutro Baths to do some stuff down there.
bruceb
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by bruceb »

Ah, I'd love to do Cliff House. I was hoping to pop-in to the Camera Obscura last weekend but that didn't work out. I would love to swing by there and get a "two-for." Now I just have to decide SF or east bay.
Gerald

Post by Gerald »

No big deal hawaiianpuch. We had a Berkeley Crawl for Sketchcrawl # 13 (I think Emma made the suggestion). It was a great turn out and everyone had a chance to split up and explore UC Berkeley and the many, many streets. http://sketchcrawl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2056

East Bay and San Francisco works for me :thumbup: Either way, I have to hop on a bridge to get there.
miromi
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by miromi »

Gerald wrote:No big deal hawaiianpuch. We had a Berkeley Crawl for Sketchcrawl # 13 (I think Emma made the suggestion). It was a great turn out and everyone had a chance to split up and explore UC Berkeley and the many, many streets. http://sketchcrawl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2056

East Bay and San Francisco works for me :thumbup: Either way, I have to hop on a bridge to get there.
I'm also all for an East Bay San Francisco sketchcrawl--berkeley would be wonderful! The landscape is very beautiful there, and Chinatown is very predictable whenever photographing or sketching S.F. I think the East Bay has a lot of hidden areas.

That being said, my two favorites are:

- Berkeley
- The Mission

The Mission has a lot of weird twists and turns--you can be in one kind of neighborhood one moment then it switches into another universe the next! certainly one of the most cosmopolitan areas in town!
hawaiianpunch
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by hawaiianpunch »

Short and quick.

I'm down for the Mission or Ocean Beach/Cliff House area. :thumbup:

Return to “23rd World Wide SketchCrawl”