New York City USA

November 21st 2009 - Our 5th Anniversary SketchCrawl!!!
Julie_Anna
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

New York City USA

Post by Julie_Anna »

Any ideas out there for where to meet up and sketch? I'm new to this forum.
Azroix
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: New York City USA

Post by Azroix »

Sketchcrawl sounds pretty sick. Definitely something I'm interested in doing. I'm new as well. I'll think more about a location now that I know what the deal is about Sketchcrawl.
For me though, it all comes down to finals in school around the SketchCrawl day.
sunilo
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by sunilo »

I should be able to participate. Since we'll probably need an indoor location possibilities are Grand Central Station, The Chelsea Market or one of the many museums in the city. Anybody have a preference or other ideas?
Azroix
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Azroix »

Yeah, an indoor location is almost 90% definite. I've always wanted to draw the interoirs of some of the churches in Manhattan. I think St. John's Cathedral is a good choice, but depending on the distance from the other indoor locations, it might be a mission and a 1/2 away. As for the museums, there are a ton, but I think the Met and the MoMA are "overdone" (so to speak). There are plenty of other museums and galleries (like in Williamsburg and Astoria). P.S.1 might be a good choice, though it is still a MoMA museum, not too many people I know have been there.

In the offchance the weather is actually warmer, it might be a good idea to toss some outdoor locations into the mix.
Alisa
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by Alisa »

Chelsea Market sounds like an interesting idea. I'm not sure how crowded it is on the weekends, but there will probably be some nice choices for lunch there too. It's also close to the Highline park which may be a nice outdoor location to sketch if it's not freezing. http://www.thehighline.org/
sunilo
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by sunilo »

I'm up for anything...

Alisa...I'm also not sure how crowded Chelsea Market will be, but there's definitely delicious food to be eaten. I know there are some public tables and maybe a couple of pockets where we can avoid the flow of shoppers. The Highline is pretty great.

Sunil
Alisa
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by Alisa »

I'm making a few sketchcrawl flyers to bring to an event this weekend to get some new faces out for this one. I'd like to have a definite meeting place by mid week. Does Chelsea Market sound good to everyone else? We can always mosey somewhere else after meeting up. I'm not familiar with the location, but I'm guessing the entrance closer to 9th Ave would be most accessible. Has anyone been there and have a suggestion for a store to meet in front of?

http://chelseamarket.com/visitors/

How does 11 am sound for a meetup time?
sunilo
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by sunilo »

If people want to go to Chelsea Market, in front of the Chelsea Wine Vault might be a good spot. There's some open space and a couple of tables.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tripletlads/3487740912/
Last edited by sunilo on Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alisa
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by Alisa »

Looks good to me!
Azroix
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Azroix »

About how many people usually attend a Sketchcrawl? We'd need to factor in the size of the group in order to avoid mobility issues in certain locations.
sunilo
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by sunilo »

I've never been with a huge group in New York...I doubt mobility will be an issue.

:arrow: 11 AM in front of the Wine Vault at Chelsea Market sounds good to me. Maybe we'll luck out and it will be warm enough for some Highline sketching. Are enough people in agreement :?: I'd like to start spreading the word as well.

Sunil
John D
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by John D »

When I first began research on the San Francisco Sketchcrawl I didn't know what it was going to be like either. Here's what happened.

I monitored the forum and asked the same kind of questions I see you are all asking. What happens? When do we meet? Where will it be? Who will be there? etc. I saw about 10 to 12 others doing the same on the SF forum. I thought, "Hey, I'd like to meet up with 10-12 people who were interested in sketching in public. So I showed up at the decided upon place. (this was the one we did at Ghirardelli Square, Number Sketchcrawl # 19 or so)

When I arrived, there was a crowd of about 65 !!! We were artists, illustrators, animators, character designers, landscape artist, studio painters, amateurs, wannabes and a couple of the just plain curious. And everyone just started drawing. Slowly, most of the participants spread out in small groups or alone to draw anywhere in the area. Every now and again I'd come back to the square and some people would still be right where I saw them last, still working on sketches or elaborate drawings of the scene unfolding before them.

At the appointed time, (5 p.m. or 6 p.m. I don't remember) we all came back together and started sharing what we did. "Here's my sketchbook. Can I see yours?" And I saw some work like I expected, you know, kinda sketchy . . . But them I would also see some drawings that would blow you away! Some of these people could draw like the professionals they were! ---and seeing it, ---holding their sketchbook in your hands ---was somehow, -- affirming. I don't know how else to say it. It was like finding a community of like minded individuals that was just the coolest thing I could imagine. I remember one woman made her own sketchbooks and when I asked her about them she said I could find complete instructions on her website.

Imagine 65 people all different, all come together to draw, be drawn, and share. Then everyone split off into small groups (I walked to my car, drove home, tired old man) The rest went to coffee shops, bars, wherever, I don't know.

We got back together online with posted scans and photos of the work we did that day in the [RESULTS] forum pages. And I realized later that I had met Enrico, who started it all, earlier in the morning when he came around to make a list of everyone who came that day.
John Deckert
www.johnd.com
dannylee4
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by dannylee4 »

So confirmed for 11am in front of the Wine Vault in Chelsea?
sunilo
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by sunilo »

I'll say...Confirmed!

SketchCrawl November 21 @ 11 AM

We'll meet in front of the Chelsea Wine Vault in the Chelsea Market.

If it's too crowded or people aren't into the scene we can stick around for a little while and then move somewhere else.

Looking forward to it!

Sunil
Azroix
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Azroix »

Sounds good to me, I just hope I can make it. Finals are eating up my weekends.

Return to “25th World Wide SketchCrawl”