San Francisco, CA

November 21st 2009 - Our 5th Anniversary SketchCrawl!!!
Miss B-Movie
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

San Francisco, CA

Post by Miss B-Movie »

I haven't seen a post for this one all week, so I'm taking the initiative... Where should we sketch, fellas?
atelier
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: San Francisco, CA

Post by atelier »

Hi,

I'm a newbie to sketchcrawling. Living in rural upstate New York I haven't had much of a chance to do this up 'til now. but I will be in San Francisco at the time of this next sketchcrawl and would like to join you folks. I'm an architect (now retired) and have been posting some of my sketchbook drawings on my Flickr page in recent months.

--Ed B
Last edited by atelier on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Technoire
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Technoire »

I've only recently become familiar with SketchCrawl through a friend who does CGI, so now I'm investigating what sounds to be a step in the right direction for my art and I. Where would the meet spot for this be, and is it an open-invite? I'm interested. :)

Thanks!
Miss B-Movie
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Miss B-Movie »

Yeah, it's an open invite! I'm trying to think of good places to go, but I don't know much in-depth about SF really, I go there once a week, but only from the ferry building to New Montgomery... so it's a fairly limited journey. I think we can rule out Chinatown/North Beach, since we went there last time.
gustavo
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by gustavo »

Greetings and welcome to Sketchcrawl!

As some of you may know Sketchcrawl was founded by http://www.enricocasarosa.com/ in San Francisco, California, and on November 21st 2009 (Sketchcrawl #25), it will be exactly five years since its creation.

For those of you that are new, the following page contains information about how easy it is to participate. viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2224

I think there are a couple of places that were suggested last couple of times that perhaps can be considered again along with any new suggestions.

Thanks
Gustavo

https://www.gustavoarizmendi.com
SketchCrawl WebHosting / Maintenance donated by yours truly from 2007 to 2022.
tiffer1122
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by tiffer1122 »

I am from Colorado and will be in SF for the November sketchcrawl. I am not extremely familiar with places to go during winter months (summer is easy), so if I may make a suggestion. Why don't we start at the Ferry Building and we can "crawl" someplace else if something comes up. This way we have a starting place. Just an idea.
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

Hello friends! Good to hear some of you will be joining from out of state.

So here's what I was thinking and you all tell me if you like the idea: (this is an idea that has been in the running in the past but that we haven't done yet) how about meeting around Yerba Buena ... they are the gardens in front of MOMA, close to 2nd and Mission st. and are close to a lot of interesting sites and museums.

here's what we'd get

- Yerba Buena Gardens and Metreon (great for people drawing)
- we can visit the Maurice Sendak exhibition at the Contemporary Jewish Museum (which I hear is simply amazing)
- MOMA (love to draw in there, even just in the entry hall, without having to pay the ticket price)
- all the downtown/Market Street/SOMA interesting buildings to draw
- Cartoon Art Museum
- and a lot of other stuff I am sure ...

So there's that ... how about it? Let us know what you think ...

I am open to people offering alternatives, but I am really looking to do something we haven't done yet ...

cheers!

Enrico
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

Oh also, someone has posted a group on Meetup.com and is proposing SanFrancisco sketchcrawls for November15th and 22nd ... it's very confusing and a little upsetting since they are dispersing energies and not linking back to these forums to let meetup people know about the main WorldWide SketchCrawl .. also considering the 21st is a special SketchCrawl I don't quite understand why this person is doing this.
They are also charging $1.50, which while nominal, is also rather strange.

If you have seen the meetup group or know of people that have joined it, please let them know of these forums and of the November 21st crawl ...
I have contacted the meetup group organizer and I've asked to clarify their stance or change their name.

Thanks

Enrico

UPDATE
I exchanged a couple of messages with Micah, who is trying to organize the meetup sketchcrawls ... She points out she wants to organize smaller groups to meet more often ... to a certain degree I don't mind that, but right around our date of November 21st, I still find it rather confusing ... if people want to meet more often and draw it's fine with me ... you can certainly still call it a SketchCrawl, but I would appreciate a little help and linkage in support of the World Wide events dates. Lastly charging fees for SketchCrawls, as much as I don't know exactly what she's giving people for it, makes me a little uncomfortable ...
atelier
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by atelier »

The Yerba Buena Gardens location really sounds good to me -- it's centrally located, near mass transit, and near many other interesting sites. Depending on what the weather is like on the 21st, we can easily decide to either "crawl" outdoors or indoors as need be.

--Ed B
cahusslein
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by cahusslein »

Yerba Buena sounds wonderful. I also wanted to go to the exhibit at the Jewish Contemporary museum.
It is confusing about the other group. It's sad that they have to do this. $1.50 for what...?
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

ok San Francisco friends!
Let's meet at 10:30 in Yerba Buena Gardens, right across the street from the Moma there's some fountains and a strange glass structure in form of a boat. Let's meet there!

Here's a map

http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s ... 6&t=h&z=19

Let me know if you have any questions!!

Enrico
domgeek
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by domgeek »

Hey all,

I came over from the Meetup.com site after finding out about this forum. I'd love to meet and sketch the day away for the big 5 year anniversary SketchCrawl. This sounds like a great time!

- Dom
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

Great ... see you all in Yerba Buena!
Last night I found a lost batch of SketchCrawl stickers!!! Perfect for this anniversary crawl!
I'll hand them out to all participants ...

cheers!

e
Funkybat
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Funkybat »

Hello everyone, I'm looking forward to tomorrow in Yerba Buena gardens. Any strong preferences on where will will go from there, and where we will meet at the end?

I was not aware of these "unofficial" SketchCrawls Enrico mentioned. I think it would be cool to have more crawls more often, even if they are not big or are not "world-wide," but I think it is important to the open and informal spirit of these events that there be no fees or formal membership or anything like that. I like it that anyone and everyone can show up, or not show up, for a SketchCrawl, and I like meeting people from widely different art backgrounds. I know that sometimes we can be a big much for a small cafe, but I like the uncontrolled nature of it. I hope whoever is organizing these other crawls keeps them free and posts on this forum when they are organizing a crawl.

Anyway, see you guys soon!
lethalbeef
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by lethalbeef »

Wonderful! Look forward to meeting everyone, this will be my first, though I've known about it for a while. Found it after reading Mia :)

I'm really against the idea of sketchcrawls having any fees at all, it seems very dubious, unless it's some art class that uses the sketchcrawl concept as an exercise. One way to head it off would be to promote local non-worldwide sketchcrawls here on the site and encourage people who are interested to organize more on these forums.

Return to “25th World Wide SketchCrawl”