Ok, this is what everybody (well, me) has been waiting for. The drawings of the day. Ok here goes.
1. 10:00am: We all me at the steps of the art gallery downtown and this is what I saw across from the gallery.
2. It was fun drawing the crowd across from us who were getting ready to watch the Santa Clause parade. I tried to quickly sketch a Chinese lion/tiger? that went by in like 5 seconds. I also managed to scribble down a band memberÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s sax and a girl that was in the crowd.
3. There was a cool Chinese dancer with these red scarves that went whizzing by really fast. A couple managed to get on the roof of one of the buildings. What a perfect spot to watch the parade. After the parade we headed to Blenz for refreshments at around 1:30ish.
4. After that we headed to china town and sketched at the gardens. It was really nice there.
5. I sketched one more before we headed out to gas town at around 4:30ish. It was already getting dark at this time, and really cold. The lamps are really cool looking in gas town. Tourists seem to love flocking to the steam clock. Both a lot of fun to draw but then I started turning into a Popsicle soooo.
6. 6:00ish: We decided to head to the Star bucks on Robson street to get warm. These were some of the people chilling in there.
7. We arrived at Subeez at around 7:15 to meet up with everyone else and share stories and sketches. There was really cool candle stick holders covered in wax. Anyone who's been to Subeez knows what I'm talking about. It was a lot of fun to see what everyone else did during the day. That was it; good times were had all around.
Now, photo time!!
Tony and Sarah
My fav pic, these guys were going up on two wheels. Pretty sweet.
The sketch crawlers at Subeez
My fav part of the parade was the Ronald McDonald float which consisted of a large stretched SUV limo with tinted windows and Ronald peering out of the sun roof. Kids were going wild, and behind the Ronald McDonald crew who was accompanied by a huge entourage of people, were two old ladies on foot holding a tattered banner for the food bank. I thought that was priceless.
Overall I would say Sketch Crawl Vancouver was a smashing sucess. I can't wait to do it again.
*All images are copyright Mike Tse.