Pierce County WASHINGTON Sketchcrawl

Saturday May 15 2010
northwestdrawing
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Pierce County WASHINGTON Sketchcrawl

Post by northwestdrawing »

Sketchers in Central and Eastern Pierce County WA--Let's get together for the 27th Sketchcrawl, somewhere in our "neighborhood."

Since I live in Puyallup, I'll toss that general location into the hopper and see if anyone else is interested in meeting here. If so, we can discuss on the Forum specifically where to meet.

Of course, our general area also includes lovely locations like Sumner, Tacoma, Fife, Milton, Edgewood, Bonney Lake, Lakewood, Graham, Gig Harbor, etc...so, let's hear from our area artists who like to get out for a few hours of sketching. What's your favorite spot you'd like to introduce to others? What's that place you'd like to sketch but have not yet done so?

Frances
Last edited by northwestdrawing on Sat May 01, 2010 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
northwestdrawing
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: Pierce County WASHINGTON Sketchcrawl

Last evening I posted a SAVE THE DATE notice of our Pierce County Washington Sketchcrawl on the Tacoma Artists' list serv. I hope some folks join the Sketchcrawl forum and we can get the discussion going about where to meet for the May Sketchcrawl!

Meanwhile, I'm going to hand out copies of the notice at the Open Studio I co-host in Puyallup, WA as we have 22 artists attending and some would likely be very interested in the idea. Also, I'll leave some notices at our local frame shop in downtown Puyallup.

Frances
BcRose
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by BcRose »

This will be our first Sketchcrawl, so forgive me if I don't know what to ask. I have some spots I like going to several times a year. Elbe, where there is trains, burger stand and tourist wandering around. I also like ferry docks, downtown Tacoma, and Salty's on Redondo beach.
northwestdrawing
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Great suggestions, BCRose! Shall we see what others have to offer too? I love all of yours...and hope to "do" that whole list eventually . Some of them I would need directions on how to find the location, but that's o.k.---

I just had a thought that sort of blends with your various suggestions: if we met at Freight House Square (free parking garage across the street from it) there are lots of things in your list (content-wise, not place-wise) within walking distance: the Freight House Square interior and exterior=stores/restaurants/streetcars outside, a paper-box factory behind it and a funky bridge nearby; down the street towards Portland Street there is a train station and train yards loaded with trains. Then, across a new bridge going over towards downtown we'd have two choices: wandering towards the Glass Museum area & downtown...or, if we went the other direction, there are warehouses, and boat slips, etc.

Hope we get some "nature-y" suggestions, too. Would love to hear yours!

Let's see if anyone else joins our conversation...and see what place "rises to the top" for this particular adventure.
Susan H
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Susan H »

Hello to all. I live in Puyallup and I would like to wander around my town and maybe the valley. If there is anyone that would like to join me let me know.
Susan
northwestdrawing
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

As of now, it appears that we have two votes for Puyallup, two for Tacoma downtown, and everything else has one vote for this particular Sketchcrawl. That is, unless there is an influx of other participants and ideas in this conversation!

Please suggest an actual/specific location to meet. Let's see if we can get a consensus by Wednesday evening--May 11....and see if folks can coalesce around one specific place for us to meet. Looking forward to hearing your ideas--hopefully some places I never thought about!!!

Since I already voted for both Puyallup and Tacoma, I'll put in an oar for both of these locations with the following specific suggestions--although I'm willing to go to any other spot popular with a majority of our group:

Puyallup---I suggest we meet at 9 am at Forza at the edge of Pioneer Park, and, go out and sketch at the Farmers' Market or surrounding downtown area.

or,

Tacoma---I suggest we meet at 9 am at the Freight House Square---at the tables near the end of the food court where you find Wendys II/and the coffee kiosk. From there we can then go out and sketch the surrounding area or downtown or waterfront..all within walking distance.

Frances
northwestdrawing
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Saturday = partly cloudy and 70 degrees---a perfect sketchcrawl day!

Since no one is tossing in a specific location and, since I need time let other folks know where to meet on Saturday...I'm going to throw a dart at my two suggestions above and see which wins!

The winner is: Let's meet at 9 am at the Forza coffee shop at the North east corner of Pioneer Park in downtown Puyallup. The Farmers' Market (at the corner of Meridian and Pioneer) will be a lively scene, and there are also quieter nearby city streets and neighborhood venues for those who prefer a bit less activity.

Hope to see you Saturday!
BcRose
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by BcRose »

Sounds great, I am coming, and may try to drag hubby along too since he use to be a draftsman. This will be my first sketchcrawl, and looking forward to seeing what this is all about ! Pen, pencil and pad in hand, lets do it !!

Return to “27th World Wide SketchCrawl”