Cold Spring, NY (Results)

Saturday May 15 2010
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Cold Spring, NY (Results)

Post by Joan T »

My sister, Michelle, and I did our sketchcrawl at Boscobel, a historical house and property near Cold Spring, NY. It has gorgeous views of the Hudson River from the property, several buildings, a hiking trail with a waterfall, and a herb garden.

I decided to divide my journal page into several small sections with masking tape, so I could do several small paintings instead of one large one. This is how the page looked when finished. I'll include each individual painting too.

These are my paintings of the views of the Hudson River from the lawn in front of the house.

We headed for the hiking trail and found the waterfall. There was even a nice bench to sit on while we painted.

I left Michelle to finish her waterfall painting, and headed back up by the house. I knew I couldn't do the entire house justice in a short period of time, so I focused on the details at the top of the house.

My final painting was of the Orangery and herb garden. I don't know what an orangery is, but the building was interesting.

Here is how the two paintings looked together in my journal.

We would both like to return to Boscobel in the future to do larger paintings. Bescobel was a fun place to do the sketchcrawl. I hope you enjoy looking at my paintings. I am sure Michelle, will post her work soon.
Last edited by Joan T on Wed May 19, 2010 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mhimeswc
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Re: Cold Spring, NY

Post by mhimeswc »

Joan, your sketchbook pages look so pretty and you did a great job with your little paintings.

Working a little larger, I didn't get as many done. Here are mine:
A view of the Hudson River

The waterfall - I bit off more than I could chew here and got lost in all the rocks and riffles.

The herb garden - I actually did this from outside the fence, where I found a good spot to sit.

This was a fun place to sketch, and an interesting place to visit. I want to return some day with my full w/c set, and do an actual painting.
PaintMonster
Japan

Post by PaintMonster »

Joan T
nice location with beautiful sketches!

mhimeswc
I like 3rd thake very much. because white line is so nice!
PaintMonster (Sapporo /Japan)

dave c
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by dave c »

Great work, Joan and Michelle! Looks like a quiet peaceful location (your work reflects that nicely).
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Joan T »

Paint Monster & Dave - It was a great place to paint and relax. Not as busy a spot as some people had picked. Thanks for your comments.
pascal
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Re: Cold Spring, NY (Results)

Post by pascal »

hello Joan. Nice watercolours of a peacefull place. Good idea to draw several views on the same page.
The orangery is a heated building in which was stored during cold shrubs bearing citrus. It come from the french Orangerie.

Bravo encore
alissa
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by alissa »

What a lovely place to visit and draw. You were very prolific in your time there.

Joan - I like your house detail
Michelle - wonderful view of the Hudson and the waterfall
mhimeswc
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by mhimeswc »

Thanks, Alissa. I love that view of the Hudson. I would like to do it in a larger painting, on actual watercolor paper.

Pascal, thanks for the explanation of the Orangery. I wondered what that was also.
sumacm
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by sumacm »

Nice sketches at a great location!

sumacm
http://www.sumacm.blogspot.com
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Joan T »

Pascal - Thank you & thanks for the explanation of what an orangery actually is. There were plants inside and a big window that went up and down almost the size of a door. I should have googled it to find out.

Alisssa - Thanks so much.

Mickey - We definitely will plan a trip back there.

Sumacm - Thank you!
kumi matsukawa
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by kumi matsukawa »

I can tell that this was a really fun place to visit by seeing your joyful series of sketches :thumbup: I enjoy every one of them a lot and they have soothing charm. Joan T, I love your Orangery and herb garden, and mhimeswc , I love yourHudson River especially. Thanks for taking us to such a peaceful place.
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Joan T »

Kumi - Thanks so much for stopping by and looking. Yes, it was a very peaceful place to sketch and enjoy the views.

Return to “27th World Wide SketchCrawl”