Klang, Malaysia (Results)

Saturday July 31 2010
ghoobist
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Klang, Malaysia (Results)

Post by ghoobist »

Here are the results of our outing. There were 2 watercolourists, 1 ink sketcher and 2 photographers in our group. We started at the old train station in the town centre of Klang. A short walk up a small hill led us to this quiet park.

We wondered why it was deserted on a nice Saturday morning. We soon discovered that the place was infested with AEDES mosquitoes. They seemed to take a particular liking to my blood. The other attendees also had a few bites that they could count, but mine were so numerous that they merged and became a huge grotesque lump.

I fled the park and found some steps overlooking this Lady of Lourdes church.

We took a short walk past Little India (where the smell of incense tickled our nostrils and Bollywood music made our pulse jump to its beat) and eventually settled ourselves down to draw this Muslim mosque.

This Hindu temple stood from across from the mosque. I had the opportunity to witness a prayer session taking place inside the temple and was introduced to the various Gods as a Hindu devotee poured milk to bath the idols.

And here are some quintessential sketches of people to complete the day :)

Malaysia provides some great opportunities for sketching, but I've got to admit, the humidity and mosquitoes can be a lethal combination! I think I'll propose somewhere cool with air conditioning next time :P
brenna
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: Klang, Malaysia (Results)

Post by brenna »

Wow! Some really nice work here. I love all the lost edges. You really captured the effect of the bright sunlight well. So inspiring!
thek
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by thek »

zomg! Your wonderful technique of hitting just the darks seems to really pay off when drawing the hot climes of Malaysia! I especially love the temples/churches this time round, you've hinted at all the intricate details beautifully.

Hope things are going well for you out there, and btw, you've been neglecting your blog! ;)
sunilo
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by sunilo »

Ghoobist, great drawings and choices in subject matter! Nice variety on each page.

It looks like there's a wonderful melting pot of culture in your city. I think I'll have to visit one day....
mhimeswc
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by mhimeswc »

Terrific ink sketches, Ghoobist! I especially like the one of the church.
ghoobist
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by ghoobist »

Thanks guys! It's actually quite fun just drawing shadows on a sunny day :)

Thek, you're like the only person who visits my blog! Hahaa, but thanks for the kick in the butt. I've just been really busy these last few months.
sumacm
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by sumacm »

Amazing line work and values in these sketches! Really nice!

-Suma
http://www.sumacm.blogspot.com
eyes
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by eyes »

Amazing sketches for all the church/temple/mosque and the interesting people !!! :clap:
owlhorse
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by owlhorse »

Really like your sketches very much - the light comes out of the left out spaces between the black lines, i can almost feel the heat and smell the exotic perfume in the air. Thanks for sharing your work!! :wave:
dave c
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by dave c »

Very nice results! Great style. Well done! :D
ghoobist
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by ghoobist »

Here are a couple of Cha Hui's watercolour paintings. He hasn't got a sketchcrawl account yet, so I'll help him post these for now.

universitaria
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by universitaria »

Wow! Incredible! The ink sketchs are just amazing! The watercoulors are beautiful too! Very good work! Post the photos to us later! :wink:

Return to “28th World Wide SketchCrawl”