Washington DC

Saturday October 16 2010
woodcut55
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Washington DC

Post by woodcut55 »

I hope lots of our regular artists in DC area are going to be around to go for a sketch crawl on October 16th. Where would you like to go draw this time?
melydia
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: Washington DC

Post by melydia »

Where have you been in the past? I'd love to draw at the Zoo but I know that a lot of people just did that in July with Elizabeth Graeber. Embassy Row/National Cathedral is another possibility. Roosevelt Island, the Arboretum, Rock Creek...I'm just making random suggestions, without thought to how Metro-accessible/realistic these are. :)
Ctribastone
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Ctribastone »

We've done the Nat'l Mall, Brookland, Chinatown...

Embassy Row and the Catherdral sound good. We did Dupont Circle (a little) once, but it might be worth returning to. Georgetown, U Street... the bridges along Rock creek might be pretty nice too.
antognoli
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by antognoli »

yay - i have a wedding the day before (friday) but not on saturday (go figure), so as of now it looks like i can join in on this one!

i didn't go to the zoo or dupont with the big group because it was really hot that weekend, but if a lot of you did that crawl then it wouldn't be good to duplicate too much. i'm not partial to zoos anyway because i think they are depressing... but i'd be for more time in the dupont area.

u street could be cool. the national cathedral could also be cool... but not in the same day. georgetown is kind of a hike from the metro and parking sucks, so it's not my most favorite place to go, but if the majority is for it then i'm sure we can find a way.
- erin antognoli

http://www.eantognoli.com :: art
http://www.evilantognoli.com :: documentary + fine art weddings
http://www.erinantognoli.com :: holga weddings
http://halophoto.blogspot.com :: blog
Ctribastone
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Ctribastone »

How about we whittle our options down to-
Dupont,
U Street
or the Nat'l Cathedral.

Sound ok?
woodcut55
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by woodcut55 »

2.1 mile hike from National Cathedral down hill along Mass. Ave. to Dupont Circle? That passes loads of embassies and is a very nice walk with plenty of places to draw. Or maybe we start at the Zoo on Conn. Ave and walk down into Rock Creek and head towards Dupont Circle via the foot trail.
wondermachine
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by wondermachine »

My vote's for U Street.
melydia
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by melydia »

I like the Cathedral-to-Dupont option, but if I have to pick just one of the three options I'd go for the Cathedral.
rmahler5125
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by rmahler5125 »

I like the suggestion of the Cathedral especially since it has inside and exterior spaces to sit and draw. Also it is accessible by bus and has good parking availability.
Ctribastone
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Ctribastone »

I'm leaning toward the Cathedral-to-Dupont option myself.
Tubbekans
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Tubbekans »

I like the idea of the National Cathedral walk down to Dupont circle.

From Tenleytown
Take the Metro Red Line to the Tenleytown/AU station. Exit on the west side of Wisconsin Avenue. Take any 30 series bus (31, 32, 36, or 37) going south on Wisconsin Avenue. Ride approximately 1 1/2 miles until you reach Woodley Avenue; the Cathedral is on your left. (This is a downhill walk, if you prefer to walk.)

http://www.nationalcathedral.org/visit/directions.shtml
Ctribastone
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Ctribastone »

Ok, lets say we meet up at the National Cathedral around 10:30/11:00 AM, and we'll have ourselves a Sketchcrawl!
woodcut55
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by woodcut55 »

National Cathedral at 10:30 sounds great inside or out?.
I don't know of any place for a lunch on the way down the hill to Dupont Cr. so it is a good idea to bring some snacks or a box lunch to eat along the way. On Massachusetts Avenue NW we pass numerous embassies and go over rock creek park on a bridge. A birds eye view on Google maps with satellite details shows numerous points of interest. The Islamic Center at Belmont Rd. is a great location to draw. The old Japanese embassy has lots of history it is an early modern style building with funny pollarded trees in a court yard. There are interesting sculptures, trees and lots of architectural wonders to be seen and drawn all along Mass. Avenue on the way to Sheridan Circle then Dupont Circle.
Thorsx
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Thorsx »

I will be flying into D.C. from Orlando on the 15th and would love to join the crawl. Does everyone meet up prior to sketching or should I just arrive and start drawing? Would the steps to the Cathedral be the best spot to meet? Regardless, I look forward to meeting some D.C. Urban Sketchers!
Thor
Analog Artist Digital World
thorspecken.blogspot.com
jwinstead
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by jwinstead »

We usually just show up and start drawing - look for the other people with sketchbooks. The Cathedral's a big place, so I'd suggest meeting outside the west entrance. We usually stay for 45 minutes or so in one place, then gather together and start walking.

Return to “29th World Wide SketchCrawl”