Brisbane/Gold Coast (Australia)

Saturday April 16th 2011 - Earthquake & tsunami emergency Benefit
JJ Bell
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Re: Brisbane/Gold Coast (Australia)

Post by JJ Bell »

We were not disgruntled in any way, just surprised we could not find anyone. Please don't assume :)

We were both at the Suncorp Piazza at one stage and we didn't see you. (we arrived at 11.30am..... my fault as I left my phone at home and had to go back to find it) I was really looking forward to meeting you too. I reiterate, we were not in any way upset, just a little surprised that we wandered the whole of the parklands both on the river walk, and through the park and saw no one sketching, especially as everyone was saying they couldn't wait to come.
I even asked a parkland attentant if he had seen anyone sketching and he said no. :lol: You had good cover woman :D Seriously we were not in any way upset. We had lunch at the cafe area at around 2.30pm. We were also up near the boats. We walked the full length of the park. WE did not go to the Goma, as we really thought no-one had turned up, and as you said it was a fair walk. It was lucky there was no rain. Only a spit or two. God was kind to us.

I can see no reason for you to be put out, or in any kind of awkward position. I think you are making too much of it my friend.

It really is no big deal. Janine and I both had a great day.
Shello
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Shello »

Hi,
Please don't make light of my comments and brush me off. I have tried to organise and get this going from the start. Please have a little more respect and do not tell me I was under cover or hiding. I waited three hours at the Suncorp Piazza for Sketchcrawlers like yourself and I was sitting at the main door of the Piazza and could not be missed as I was drawing the entire time. Please think before you tell someone else what they were or were not doing. What is that?

You might not think it's a big deal but while you wandered up and down the river I was there stuck at the Piazza waiting for you. Luckily I made good use of the time and drew a lot. If I knew someone was waiting for me as I explained in detail earlier, I would genuinely feel sad that we missed each other and I would apologise, as I did to you. You seem to be making light of this at my expense and your comments on the result forum seem to question my integrity.
Hmmmm. If you want to address this problem for next-time we would be better off to all have each others numbers to text to. I do not know you or have your phone number so that would be a first step towards all of us communicating. Simple.

If you are genuinely interested in creating an ongoing Brisbane branch of the Sketchcrawl please stay involved and get involved in setting up the next one when that time comes. And get involved sooner and make clear suggestions. Your input is wanted and welcome. I have tried to keep this forum upbeat. I'm sure we can get past this hiccup, but you are really a bit rude to suggest that we were not there when and where we said we were and your implication is that we didn't care. Your comments on the results forum imply this and I am deeply embarrassed by this. Please think before posting comments for all the world to see. Please try and see it from our perspective and don't try to brush off my trying to communicate what may have happened.

You could not have missed me! I'm saddened that all of the effort I've made to get this going has been brushed off by your comments.
I'm deeply embarassed that you would try and tell me what I was doing. You are taking this too lightly and are not taking any responsibility for the misunderstanding between us. If we want a great group it is important that we face facts and communicate properly. I'm telling this to you straight and not trying to gloss over things when we both know we must be both responsible! I hate politics and games, so I'm trying to be very direct here. Your comments imply that you were upset as I was at the mix-up so please don't tell me otherwise.I'm sure you are great people and we may laugh at this one day.Maybe we could start with a clear slate and goodwill nextime.

Anyway a good time and lots of drawing were made by our small group. Thanks to our group Jonny, Zade and Frank and I . Thanks so much for your friendship, ideas and participation. We were a small group but we had fun and many drawings were made!I raised money for Japan and that's what matters as well as all SIX of us Brisbane Sketchcrawlers having a good day.
cheers
Michelle.
Last edited by Shello on Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
JJ Bell
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by JJ Bell »

I am in no way going to have an online "fight" with you. You reacted way over the top to my question as to where everybody was.
Shello
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Shello »

I'm sorry JJ, and I also apologise to the Sketchcrawl creators, and people in my group, because your comments are making out I'm some sort of person looking for a fight when the opposite is true. Why would I want to have ugly things said on this lovely site?

Sadly you have interpreted this as a "fight". I am trying to explain what happened and you have brushed me off again by saying this is a fight. It's not a "fight". We are mature here and only want a happy time. Is this what you wanted? To make trouble? I am trying to repair the damage and be very clear and advise you to respect all participants myself included. I can see that you cannot see my point of view and am sorry that you have misinterpreted me. Do not tell me I'm fighting when I am not. Please do not continue to try and embarrass me or the rest of the people in my group who bothered to show up at the right place. This is ridiculous.

Can a convenor please intervene now ? Please help someone? This is embarrasing and getting out of hand and I don't like being accused of something as stupid as fighting over a misunderstanding or missed meet-up. I don't know you JJ. Why are you assuming that you know me? I don't have to accept your accusations and your implications and questioning of my intentions.
I don't do girly cat fights and as I said you are welcome here and I am just asking for your understanding and respect. If you are genuinely interested or sorry that we missed each other I was hoping that you could make some suggestions as to how we could avoid the same situation in future. Please give me some positive input about how we could avoid this happening in future.

This is very sad because the Sketchcrawl was about helping Japan out.

PLEASE help me out here someone!

Sincerely

Michelle
jmb57
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by jmb57 »

Hi to all,
i tried to post a message, but it seems to also be lost.

anyway, i will try and repeat the message.

Firstly, my thanks to the organisers. your instructions were crystal clear!!! I regret that JJ has felt it necessary to speak on my behalf.
i have never been on a sketchcrawl before. the suggested location was excellent, there is so much to see and sketch, and enjoy the atmosphere. My sincere apologies to all the sketchers who were inconvenienced by JJ and I being late...and then going to the wrong coffee shop. I forgot the instructions i had printed out and thought the coffee shop was close to the stadium.
i honestly did not think people being late would seriously effect others. i do genuinely apologise for that, and i sincerly regret the discussion has taken on an aggressive tone.
i enjoyed the day, did a couple of sketches, had a wander around, and generally felt very relaxed at the end of the day.
it would have been nice to meet up with other sketchers, and that was my loss.

i raised money for Japan, took part for the first time in a sketchcrawl, and would hope to again. like i said previously, i had a good day. I regret the drama that is unfolding, and feel embarassed now.

the mistakes made around location and times were ours, the organiser/s have nothing to regret regarding the degree of planning for the day. i do apologise for inconveniencing you all, i honestly thought that sketchers pretty much went there own way, and met back at delegated spots/times throughout the day....my mistake!!!!!
honestly, i dont want that mistake to overly mar the day for others.

i can only speak for myself, i have nothing but praise for the organisation of the day, the venue, the planning. JJ and I made a simple mistake, that unfortunately has become bigger than it needed to be.

hopefully, we will meet ON time for the next sketchcrawl. I look forward to seeing some of the work captured by others during the day.

i have been very impressed by the welcome i have received here, and look forward to further involvement.

regards

janine
Kim.M.
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by Kim.M. »

I may not be the "convenor" :wink: but just a few thoughts reading this thread that seems to have gone wrong.

Shello, I understand the effort and energy that went into organizing for Saturday. It doesn't seem like much (the idea for a SketchCrawl is so simple, right?). But it CAN take a lot of thought, preparation etc. believe me I know.

Just from reading (from afar), I'd say that your instructions were quite clear. Even JJ said she was there, she just didn't see you. I guess every one knows about the mystery of the glasses that were right in front of you, the keys right on the table, sometimes you just don't see them - stranger things are known to happen!

I think it is pretty reasonable to set a limit to the waiting time for the meetup, and just make it clear. It may seem a bit harsh, and yes the temptation is always to wait a bit more, because we all hope that more sketchers will turn up. But the show must go on! Personally, I take organizing "pretty" seriously :wink: . But once the ball gets rolling, I do make allowances to say to myself and the others "well, we always lose a few sketchers". In the end, things work out

This time was bit special, because of the fundraiser, talk of a tv crew (?) etc. But after a certain point, if the people aren't showing up then... Once you've past the time limit for waiting, you've done all you can do - the rest is "Insha'Allah" as they say!

Also, I've found that the larger the area you plan to cover - PLUS the smaller the group - the more sketchers you may lose. There are ways around this - exchanging phone numbers, etc.. Now that my group here is getting more comfortable knowing each other, some of us have started using Google localizer. This is just another logistics thing to consider.

We met in Paris yesterday in a fairly small garden - so I didn't even bother with meeting points, etc. But at the very end, while we were being kicked out, two sketchers came up to me who I hadn't seen all day, to say hi and thanks for the day. They were happy, that's what counts. Hopefully next time they might even join us for lunch!

I don't think that anyone is reproaching any one. The matter of levity is a different issue. It is pretty much impossible for us to converse online as we would in real life - the thousands of different signals, tones and facial expressions just aren't there... So the playing field is prone to misunderstanding. It doesn't seem like JJ is deliberately making light of the matter. But if she is smiling and you are not - just not at that moment, which she can't see - then the words exchanged on this forum can very well become "misplaced". So I guess I am saying to stop worrying? and I am not taking this lightly either?

Cheers,
Kim
Dognam
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Dognam »

I had an interesting day sketching and hope to post some work soon.

Shello did a great job trying to get us organised and the effort was much appreciated. Thankyou, thank you and thrice thankyou :clap: .

As in any human endevour there is adventure, surprises and occasional disappointment, from which springs knowledge. I hope we find more of the tribe on the next event.

Imagine, trying to get a bunch of creatives to meet somewhere at a certain time. That requires using clocks, maps and maths :crazy: . A fascinating tale indeed. And one told in good humour :wave:

It was great to meet some Sketch Crawlers at 3pm at the Gallery of Modern Art. What a fantastic place to draw inspiration :shock: .

Sketching in a group (even if it is just with one other sketcher) is so rewarding. There is a subconcious hum as people hit the zone and we are enveloped in creativity. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The wind down at the pub after GoMA was much appreciated after a morning at work. The companionable silence, spiced with the social conversation was very convivial. I enjoyed the people who came past and commented on us all sketching and drawing. The way they were fascinated but terrified at the same moment.

It was a great event congratulations everybody. And to think it was happening world wide. A great, huge bubble of creativity, like the Earth's atmosphere enveloping us and lifting our artistic innards to butterfly wing tickled heights.
Dognam
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Dognam »

JJ and Janine. My lost friends. My apologies to you guys I was about 4 hours late :wink: . It's a right brain rope bridge middle cortex collapse syndrome I have that has disconnected my puctuality from my compunction. Great to see and hear you had a rewarding day sketching down by the river.

I was so pleased to be picked up by the other patrol later in the afternoon to join in some of the buzz. Thanks Shello, Zademesiter, Johnny 'not the Primeminister' H and Bec for finding me in the garden of the hungry ibii (eye-bye-ee) - I'm pretty sure that is the blural of ibis... and aren't those overgrown seagulls fun to draw!

And, hey, check this out. We all met up back here on the forum. Full of stories and drawings.
JJ Bell
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by JJ Bell »

Dognam wrote:JJ and Janine. My lost friends. My apologies to you guys I was about 4 hours late :wink: . It's a right brain rope bridge middle cortex collapse syndrome I have that has disconnected my puctuality from my compunction. Great to see and hear you had a rewarding day sketching down by the river.
Oh No!!!!! A soul mate!!!! :lol: :roll: :lol: :thumbup:
Shello
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Shello »

Hi everybody!
Thankyou for the input on this forum everybody and for joining the conversation. Thanks for your participation and comments and support and valued input, Janine, Kim M, JJ , Dognam, Zade, Johnny and Bec!
Thanks for your input about organising the event Kim M, what you said was encouraging and enlightening and I will heed your wise advice next Sketchcrawl. :thumbup: I'm looking forward to visiting your Paris drawings! It certainly was a learning curve going from getting one person out the door last time to making the call-out and getting Seven(including Bec!) great people joining in and drawing!
Thanks so much for your participation everybody, for your support in getting the Brisbane group going. Thanks for your comments Janine, and I'm really looking forward to meeting you and JJ next -time. It'll be great to have all of us plan our next event together. But I'll just rest up a bit for now, :thumbup: and go visit some other parts of the world through the rest of the Sketchcrawlers work on the forum! Thankyou everybody, I really enjoyed our Sketchcrawling day! :D

Cheers

Michelle

Return to “31st World Wide SketchCrawl”