BRISBANE, Australia [Results]

Saturday April 16th 2011 - Earthquake & tsunami emergency Benefit
JJ Bell
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

BRISBANE, Australia [Results]

Post by JJ Bell »

Strangely, my friend Janine and I could find no other sketchers. We did, however, have a great day sketching. Here are mine..
Image Image Image Image Image

Cheers JJ
NoriRoll
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Re: BRISBANE/Results

Post by NoriRoll »

Hey great stuff Brissy! I saw the shout out on other forums too, you'll get those sketchers, don't you worry. Looking forward to the other sketches too :thumbup:
travelingsuep
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Re: BRISBANE, Australia [Results]

Post by travelingsuep »

Nice results JJ. :thumbup: I look forward to seeing Janine's too.
JJ Bell
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by JJ Bell »

Thank you both. I hope Janine posts hers soon.

I wonder what happened to the rest of the Brisbane sketchers :D
Lola
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Lola »

Good to see your sketches. Maybe there were others who were out sketching. Would love to see their results too.
Dognam
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Dognam »

I started the day at work. I work with animals.

scale_cat by Dognam, on Flickr
This cat was being weighed. He was anxious. So he drooled.

dog_bath by Dognam, on Flickr
This dog was having a bath.

I sketch with a blue and pink flourescent highlighter pen. Where they combine, they find a purple line. And that guides my black ink, sometimes.

dog_poo by Dognam, on Flickr
Poo bag.

bag_cat by Dognam, on Flickr
This old cat was put to sleep.
JJ Bell
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by JJ Bell »

Dognam, these sketches are just delightful!!!!! Are you a Vet?
Dognam
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Dognam »

At the Gallery of Modern Art (GoMA) in Brisbane is a sculpture by Bharti Kher of a dying elephant. I find it powerful, evocative and tragic. So I had to try and sketch it.

elephant by Dognam, on Flickr

Moored down by the Brisbane River bank near GoMA is a pontoon with a machine on it. Man on the river it felt like. A power shift. A few months ago the river was raging in flood. Now man is impacting back.

river_pontoon by Dognam, on Flickr

Then people arrived on the Sketch Crawl.

I saw a child with a large head. When I sketched they became a scary doll.

doll_child by Dognam, on Flickr

cap by Dognam, on Flickr

Smokers are ostracized and have to breathe nicotine out on roads away from cafe tables.

road_smoker_m by Dognam, on Flickr

road_smoker_f by Dognam, on Flickr

Some sketchers get totally in the zone and their gestures map their imagining.

zade by Dognam, on Flickr

This last sketch was done with the edge of coloured pencils on cartridge paper and the lines were found in black calligraphy pens.
Dognam
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Dognam »

JJ Bell wrote:Dognam, these sketches are just delightful!!!!! Are you a Vet?
I'm an animator :D
JJ Bell
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by JJ Bell »

Dognam wrote:
JJ Bell wrote:Dognam, these sketches are just delightful!!!!! Are you a Vet?
I'm an animator :D
Now that is fabulous. I can see you love your work, your sketches are terrific!!!!!
Dognam
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Dognam »

Thanks. Yes, I like sketching and working with animals. Creating and caring. Thus, life balances itself. They energise each other.

Your sketches, however, are much more topical in an international context. They give the Brisbane crawl a lovely sense of place. I particularly like the structure of the temple roof. :thumbup:

I didn't get that far east along the river.
Shello
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Shello »

Hi JJ and Dognam,Hi all fellow Sketchcrawlers, :thumbup:
Love those drawings!
Glad we are all here. I really like the architectural drawings too, JJ!They do give a great sense of place and the river. I love that sleeping cat, Dognam and glad you and Janine had a good day, JJ, even though the two groups lost each other.It'll be great to get together next time....coffee and lunch should be big on our list next time so that we can all relax, draw and chat and get to hang out. Here's some of my sketches.I had a coffee first as I got there earlier, and after that there was so many people in the park and I had a wonderful parade pass me as I sat outside the entrance of the Southbank Piazza, our first meet-up place:
left from the Piazza I could see down a path to the light on the river.
They had already started hanging the Chinese Lanterns on the bouganvillea trellis and pathway outside of the Suncorp Piazza in preparation for the Buddha's Birthday festivities.
Moved on to a cafe later and this is Zade and Johnny sketching their hearts out!
Below drawings from the pub. After we met up with Dognam at Goma, and searched for any other Sketchcrawlers there at our last designated meet-up place....He said "Beer?" and we said "Beer." Below, these are just the usual scribblings from my imagination and I drew the bats while speaking about a visit to a Bat Sanctuary the day before! All part of the Sketchcrawl, drawing the conversation content.
Below the topics were varied and flowed with the good conversation and beer. It was interesting to watch how people approached drawing each other or like me started drawing parts of the conversation!
So that was my Sketchcrawl shared with some great people and it was certainly a learning curve trying to get it up and going with more Sketchcrawlers than just me...(I drew by myself on the Gold Coast last-time! Still good!) It was a bit worrying, especially when someone was rumoured to be going to film us! I was laughing about this as I sat waiting for people to arrive at the Suncorp Piazza!
But I was laughing and terrified about this the night before until I remembered the spirit of the event and the fundraising! Filming would have been a great thing to use to promote the Sketchcrawl, but having a great day drawing with like-minded people was the kind of unbeatable reality I'd been seeking, and I'm really glad that all six of us had a really great day enjoying what we all love doing!The day was perfect as it was and I expect the group to grow naturally and organically and now that we have started it up again, I'm hoping it will attract Sketchcrawlers who have drawn in the events before us. It'll be fun for all of us to be part of peopling the Parkland with quarterly Sketchcrawlers! Thankyou everybody for responding to the call!
Ian Barralet
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Ian Barralet »

Lovely work Shello, especially the close ups. Do you do storyboarding?

Cheers, Ian
Shello
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Shello »

Hi Ian!
Thanks for your kind comments. Yes I do, some of my fellow Sketchcrawlers and I here are trained and training, (we are always learning) in all aspects of making animation and yes, the storyboards are a huge important part of the planning of an animation, so this is all good practice for us! Learning how to percieve....I love how the brain stores visual records from drawing sessions!The sketches sometimes become a shorthand for the memory. I really liked the clarity of your pond drawing!

Michelle
Kim.M.
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by Kim.M. »

Bravo Brisbane, great to see the results on the forum, despite the "kerfuffle" :wink:

Michelle, looks like you had quite a productive day after all. Great sketches and I'm impressed with the portraits! How much fun to "draw" out your conversation! Here in Paris, our post-Scrawl drinks turned to a show-and-tell of materials, with people digging into their bags to brandish their most prized drawing tools (including, at one point, a reverential passing around of Irene's Venus pencil, the company doesn't exist any more).

Dognam, your scary baby had me laughing so!

Cheers to you all! :clap:

Return to “31st World Wide SketchCrawl”