Wichita, Kansas, USA [RESULTS] Gracias, Miro!

Saturday July 23rd 2011
CrowTalk
Real Crawler
Real Crawler
United States of America

Wichita, Kansas, USA [RESULTS] Gracias, Miro!

Post by CrowTalk »

Wichita sketchers and painters--
Please join your fellow artists for the Wichita part of the Global Sketchcrawl at 1 PM on July 23. Let's meet on the Wichita State campus in front of the Ulrich Museum. It should be possible to find some shady areas on the WSU campus. Hope to see you there!
Last edited by CrowTalk on Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teresaveazey
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: Wichita, Kansas, USA

Post by teresaveazey »

Please come by the Ulrich after an afternoon of painting. Galleries are open July 23 from 1 to 5 p.m. and admission is free. See "Fisch Haus 21: An Artists' Collaborative Comes of Age," featuring the four founding Wichita artists: Patrick Duegaw, John Ernatt, Eric Schmidt and Kent Williams.
Gundwolf
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Gundwolf »

I'm going to try to make it! ":?) :P
Gundwolf
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Step One completed: Art supplies!

Post by Gundwolf »

I just bought two new boxes of pastels and a sketch pad today! I feel ready! :thumbup:
Gundwolf
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Gundwolf »

Here is mine from the day! Mary, please tell me if I am not posting in the correct place. :thumbup:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7777226@N08/5968968038/
CrowTalk
Real Crawler
Real Crawler
United States of America

[RESULTS] Wichita, KS Thanks, Miro!

Post by CrowTalk »

The big story here in Wichita, Kansas is our excessively hot, dry summer. Maybe this summer will end up being as hot as the hottest summer on record--1936 in the middle of the American Dust Bowl.
Who would want to sketch outside on a day when the high temperature is 108 F?
Surprisingly, good company and a tall shade tree made the afternoon heat bearable. We met on the campus of Wichita State University, near the Ulrich Art Musuem.
Our Spanish friends on this site might recognize the work of Joan Miro, whose mosaic adorns the front of the Ulrich Art Museum.
Alice painted the museum and mosaic.
The mosaic inspired Richard and Doug to sketch other imaginary creatures.
Image Image
Wichita State University has a large collection of sculptures on campus. John included a picture of the Swedish artist Claes Oldenburg's "Inverted Q (TP)" in his drawing of the Ulrich Museum.
Here's the sculpture from the other side of the museum: Image
The gardeners at WSU have managed to keep some plants beautiful despite the severe summer. Glenn did an oil pastel of flowers on campus and a quick picture of Tom Otterness' sculpture, "Millipede."
Image Image
Most of us stayed under the shade tree all afternoon, but Doug did the "crawl" part for us and drew a couple different views.
Fiske Hall is one of the older buildings on campus next to the Ulrich Art Museum.
Image Image
From the air-conditioned walkway of the museum, Doug could sketch sketchers down below.
Image Image
Mary's picture of the Ulrich Art Museum, photographed where some of us ate supper:
Sketchers under the big shade tree:
Image Image

A good summer afternoon spent making pictures...planning a leisurely visit to the exhibit inside the Ulrich Museum soon...daydreaming of cooler, fall weather for John L's landscape painting class at City Arts. So nice to spend time with everyone. Thanks for participating! Mary (CrowTalk)
m9fred
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
Austria

Re: Wichita, Kansas, USA [RESULTS] Gracias, Miro!

Post by m9fred »

You found an ideal place to sketch in such a hot summer. Beautiful sketches from all of you. You had a productive day.
And kudos to Doug who did the "crawl" for the group :clap:
(That "Millipede" sculpture reminds me of those weird movie "Tremors".)

Return to “32nd World Wide SketchCrawl”