Washington DC [USA]

October 15th 2011
Ctribastone
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Washington DC [USA]

Post by Ctribastone »

We talked about a couple possibilities for October, including returning to the Congressional Cemetery or Eastern Market among other places. Thoughts?

-Christian
woodcut55
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: Washington DC [USA]

Post by woodcut55 »

I like the idea of going back to Congressional Cemetery this time we might plan to be drawing more and touring less. It sure had lots of good material to draw and public restrooms as well as metro access. Maybe we could plan to go over to Mr. Henry's on Penn. Avenue for a late lunch after a few hours at Cemetery.http://mrhenrysrestaurant.com/ a few blocks from Metro Eastern Market.
Ctribastone
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Ctribastone »

Also like your idea to crawl the a sketch crawl the new Metropolitan Branch Trail from Union Station to Brookland (or vice versa)!
woodcut55
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by woodcut55 »

I have a few photos of the Met. Branch Trail on my blog I posted from the tour. Orange explains it all...
Ctribastone
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Ctribastone »

Let's do the trail!

Frederick, where should we start?
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by CyberDave »

:wave:
Looks like your Sketch group will have some pretty cool and colourful murals to sketch on the trail. :thumbup:
From what I see you will probably need some portable seating with you and the trail looks pretty long. I googled it :)

Hope you folks have fun on Oct 15th. My best wishes to you all and I look forward to seeing the resultant posts.

Cheers
CyberDave
Vancouver, Canada
woodcut55
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by woodcut55 »

Christian, If we meet at Brookland Metro it is only three mile to Union Station. 54 minute walk according to google maps. Let's start at Brookland and walk downtown. We can try to find somewhere to stop for food at New York Avenue then finish with food or coffee at Union Station. Others can join us along the way if we post phone numbers about where we are. Or maybe you can tweet our location as we work our way south for late comers. It's kind of athletic for a crawl but I like getting a good walk in my day!
jwinstead
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by jwinstead »

Sounds like a good plan to me. What time should we start? 10:30ish as we did for previous crawls?
woodcut55
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by woodcut55 »

I have reconsidered the starting point will be better to begin at Rhode Island Avenue metro station and go as a group across the bridge and over through the parking lot to the entrance to the trail by the big murals. It has seven new sculputral totem poles installed a couple months back. Then we have a shorter walk and the best stuff to sketch is around Rhode Island Ave. and below I thought on my last trip down there. Check out the map and you see that Brookland Catholic Univ. metro is a bit far and all the trail is on the neighborhood roadways till you arrive at Franklin St. NE.
http://metbranchtrail.com/map[url]http: ... il.com/map[/url]
Let's meet at the RI Ave. Metro exit at 10:30 and draw till we get a group together about 11:10 and then walk over to the trail from metro.
Frederick.
woodcut55
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by woodcut55 »

OK we are going to meet at 11 AM at Rhode Island Avenue Metro Station entrance/exit. Then as a group we will make our way over the bridge and around through the parking lots to the Met Branch Trail (MBT). If you are looking for us we will be on the trail after 11:15. Then if the wind isn't too bad we will work our way down to the NY Avenue metro station area and eat lunch at one of the restaurants in the area. Five Guys or Au Bon Pain are there. Then decide what to do from there... continue with the trail or hit the train to Union Station. Hope to see a few artists from the international group down to draw.
Frederick
woodcut55
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by woodcut55 »

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/woodc ... .jpg[/img]
MBT-sketchcrawl0196 by woodcut55, on Flickr[/url]
MBT-sketchcrawl0197 by woodcut55, on Flickr[/url]
MBT-sketchcrawl0194 by woodcut55, on Flickr[/url]
Three sketches from the Washington DC sketchcrawl today along the Metroplitan Branch Bicycle Trail...
Morrys
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by Morrys »

So cool, especially the last one with all the constructions elements. Thanks for sharing!
jwinstead
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by jwinstead »

Here are a few of mine. The MBT at the beginning of the sketchcrawl (with Frederick and Robin):

An industrial facility of some kind, visible from the trail. Several of us sketched this from different angles:

And a couple of quick pen and ink sketches from 2nd and I St, NE:

(I've been enjoying Pete Scully's fire hydrants on Urban Sketchers for some time, so I decided I'd give it a try.)

Return to “33rd World Wide SketchCrawl”