London,UK [Results]

January 21st 2012

Moderators: Gerald, PaintMonster

Neil-W
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

London,UK [Results]

Post by Neil-W »

Seven of us met up at The Natural History Museum . At The Dinosaur entrance (Cromwell Road) Hope we didnt miss anybody , but we were there for
40 mins before heading off to sketch. Being a saturday it was very busy, but still possible to find spots to stand or sit and draw.
We did manage to all have lunch together chat and swap sketchbooks.
A few of us went on to V&A after . But good to meet up with friendly sketchers. i saw some really good work yesterday. :D
Here are some of my sketches.
molly-E
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: London,UK [Results]

Post by molly-E »

Enjoyed the trip to the natural history yesterday and feeling inspired to do more sketching. Was a bit nervous as I havent picked up a sketch pad in 15 years but enjoyed every minute. :D
Was nice to meet everyone and looking forward to the next one. If I have managed to work flickr properly Ive posted one of my pictures.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/74899739@N05/6741893993/
migi
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by migi »

Beautiful and very lively sketches, Neil-W. And Molly-E, you did great for picking up a sketch pad after 15 years. :)
Tatie
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by Tatie »

Really nice and lively drawings! (even with dead animals :wink: ) :clap:
Sophie Valenti
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Sophie Valenti »

I love this museum and your sketches are wonderful ! Thanks for sharing ! :clap:
martinepittet
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by martinepittet »

Great location and terrific details on your sketches ! Congratulations !! :clap: :clap:
Ayesha
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Ayesha »

Thanks for such a lovely sketching day, everyone! It was great to go sketching in a group, and I really enjoyed sharing the results. I will scan and post up my sketches next week!
jiwaki
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by jiwaki »

Neal and Molly, I like richness of details both with the animals and the building itself.
In Milan we sketched in the museum of natural history too :)
Image + Image + Image
chrism
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by chrism »

Lovely stuff Neil (the huge swan staring down the couple :)) and Molly (dramatic architecture!)
Nice to see everyone on Saturday, and it was fun (as always) checking out others' sketchbooks at lunch.
Here's a few of mine...

At the Natural History Museum
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
And at the V & A...
Image Image

Looking forward to the next one!
Ayesha
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Ayesha »

Hi Everyone,

Just sharing some of my sketches from Saturday's sketchcrawl at the Natural History Museum in London - enjoy!

Neil, Molly and Chris, your work is looking wonderful! You've all managed to capture the energy and atmosphere of the museum really well - I think I would have struggled with the scenes that you all attempted.

Until next time,

Ayesha

I really enjoyed attending my first sketchcrawl last Saturday. 7 of us met up at the Natural History Museum in London for a day of drawing (and painting, in my case!) First, we headed to the bird gallery, where I couldn't resist sketching this Dodo replica. It is so fluffy, it looks like a sheep-bird! It's sad to think that such a beautiful animal is now extinct.

For this sketch, I used pencil, 0.2 waterproof marker and Chinese stick ink on khadi paper. It was a challenge to keep my inks and materials balanced on my sketchbook while painting - but all part of the fun!

After lunch, we headed off to different areas of the museum. Although there was so much to see and draw amongst the exhibits, I love the architecture of the museum - it's my favourite building in London. So I chose to sketch this stained glass window. It took me some time to work out the geometry of the glass panels, but it was very satisfying.

As the afternoon wore on, the light began to fade and glass changed colour. I haven't done it justice, but I hope that a little of that subtlety is captured in this sketch.

Pencil, 0.2 waterproof marker, watercolour and Chinese stick ink on khadi paper.

Last November, I attempted sketching this Plesiosaur fossil. I love its texture, and the patterns created by the shape of its bones.

Pencil, 0.2 waterproof marker and Chinese stick ink on khadi paper.
JuPli
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by JuPli »

great animals! good sketches!
from Paris
juliette
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Joan T »

Looks like your group had a fun and productive time at the museum. I love the sketches...all of them!!!!
Neil-W
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Neil-W »

Molly that's an amazing sketch of the interior of the museum. Also really liked your drawings of the swans.
and i think those were the first sketches you did.
Chris didn't see some of these sketches on Sat, fantastic .The stairs of the museum and the birds especially, Getting their shapes right is difficult.
Ayesha the stained glass painting looked so intricate its wonderful .Hope you can put that and the Plesiosaur fossil illustration on your blog.
Again great to have met everyone on Sat .

Return to “34th World Wide SketchCrawl”