Do you know any environmental friendly art materials

Sketchbooks, pencils, pens, slabs of rock ... what's your latest discovery?

Moderator: Gerald

Carmen
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Do you know any environmental friendly art materials

Post by Carmen »

Hello,
I like drawing and painting very much. But my body is susceptible to chemical and I support environmental protection.
Do you know about environmental friendly or non-toxic art/colour materials?
Please kindly send me some informations.
Thank you
Carmen
crgcas
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Post by crgcas »

Someone recently sent me this link in jest but they look quite fetching: http://www.poopoopaper.com/Pootique.htm
djorzgul
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by djorzgul »

Once I used some recycled paper to do ink'n'watercolor on it... and it was ok... it doesn't ''drink'' water as I'd like, but it is usable. I will try to find the name of the brand to post it here.
sharpclaw
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: Do you know any environmental friendly art materials

Post by sharpclaw »

Robert Bateman Cover Series sketchbooks are made from recycled paper and the paper is wonderful. It is bright white, 110lb (very heavy for sketchbook paper), and is more like cardstock or vellum Bristol than like the normal thin sketchbook material. I normally sketch in it using pen and ink, though it takes pencil and some artists even do watercolor in theirs.
donnabgoode
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by donnabgoode »

Hello there,
I like to draw with sticks especially bamboo.

I do not know about environ. friendly inks; but, perhaps, walnut stain, purple poke berry weed and
even store-bought berries of different colors? Could be looking into natural dyeing of fabrics
and threads might answer your quest. Best of luck - Donna
Saramel
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Saramel »

sharpclaw wrote:Robert Bateman Cover Series sketchbooks are made from recycled paper and the paper is wonderful.
I LOVE Robert Bateman sketchbooks! They are my all time favorite (though I've been trying the different Moleskines lately, and they are nice as well.) The Robert Bateman is the perfect paper, but when I lived in San Francisco a couple years ago, I couldn't find them anywhere! I was so sad, I hope they've started carrying them in the art stores there. The poopoo paper looks interesting, but since Robert Bateman is 100% recycled and the best quality paper out there, I'm not inclined to change sketchbooks at the moment, at least not for my large size books.

They definitely get my recommendation for both environmentally friendly and best paper!
SreudianFlip
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by SreudianFlip »

I paint in oils and my better half is allergic to the solvents. So I use Blockx, Sennelier, M Graham and Holbein Oils.
All of these can be cleaned out of brushes with just oil. I use safflower oil and walnut oil.
I only use oil (Stand oil, sun thickened linseed oil, walnut oil) as a medium .
No solvents at all.
I clean up with natural brush cleaners like General's and Natural Turpenoid.

Oils take a little slower to dry. Especially stand oil (my fav), but when mistakes happen -- you can just rub them out. Viola!

Return to “Materials”