Tablet PC

Sketchbooks, pencils, pens, slabs of rock ... what's your latest discovery?

Moderator: Gerald

gittens7
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Tablet PC

Post by gittens7 »

i am looking for a laptop for when i travel and i would prefer a tablet pc so i can do illustration while on the long plane or bus rides, any suggestions on what model to get
Art is life, life is art
www.g1toons.com
www.g1toons.blogspot.com
donnam
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by donnam »

There is a guy that uses a Toshiba Tecra M4 tablet pc for almost all his illustrations. You can check out his flicker site at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/royblumenthal
crgcas
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Post by crgcas »

I am also a huge Toshiba fan and (after owning three) find the Porteges to be much more conducive to lugging out of the house - they are smaller, lightweight, reliable and the pen interface rocks in Sketchbook Pro.

My2¢.
lbeefus
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by lbeefus »

I love my tablet for sketching... my tool of choice is ArtRage, which is incredibly cheap for what it does--I own Sketchbook as well, and I like it fairly well, but I rarely use it anymore.

Of course, I still fall back on Photoshop and Painter, but for those, I plug in a USB keyboard so I can access keys. I picked up a cheap logitec keyboard, designed for the PS2, since its super small and cheap ($19 when I bought it).
Stormseye
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: Tablet PC

Post by Stormseye »

I was just researching this a wee bit, and from what I saw, the Fujitsu t5010 had some really great reviews and specs overall. The one thing I couldn't find was info on how sensitive the tablet was compared to, for example, a Wacom. Now HP uses a Wacom based tablet. That could be true as well for the Fujitsu, but still, I didn't see any info on the sensitivity, and whether you could swap out pens for the cool wacom pens.

The thing to stay away from (unless my info is old), is the new HP Touch tablet pcs. They don't use the Wacom technology, and many programs (photosphop, painter) won't recognize any pressure sensitivity.

If you like Macs, there's Modbook, which looks awesome and I would go with in a second if all of my software wasn't PC based. I've heard it runs windows based stuff well, but I"m a little bit of a game nerd, and I'm not sure how the 3d stuff will work. But just for art, it looks awesome. Also, there's not keyboard or touchpad, but it is bluetooth, so you can work around that. I use a USB mouse/keyboard on my laptop now, anyway. It would only be an issue while traveling.

Hope something helps. Let us know what you choose, and if anyone has personal experience, I'd love to hear it as well. Trying to decide it I want to do this, or just get a new laptop and the intuos4.
gittens7
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: Tablet PC

Post by gittens7 »

been a while since i have been to this site, i am challenging myself to start sketching more
i ended up getting a HP tablet PC http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834147739 and it works great
only set back it the glare on the screen butits been working fine for me
Art is life, life is art
www.g1toons.com
www.g1toons.blogspot.com

Return to “Materials”