Fabriano Artist Journal Question.

Sketchbooks, pencils, pens, slabs of rock ... what's your latest discovery?

Moderator: Gerald

Donal
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Fabriano Artist Journal Question.

Post by Donal »

What's the texture of the paper like? Is it smooth like a sheet of copy paper or more like watercolor paper?

How does it take pen? How does it take watercolors? This is the next sketchbook I'm going to try based on so many people raving about it.
katzenjammy
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by katzenjammy »

The paper is 90 gsm Ingres drawing paper with a laid surface, which means it's textured with thin, parallel lines visible when the paper is held to light. This give it a bit of tooth. It is a fairly thin paper and will wrinkle with wet media, though I've used watercolor pencils and a waterbrush successfully. It is a handsome book, but I find it better for pen/pencil work, and now use a Moleskine watercolor sketchbook for wet media.
Thorsten
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Thorsten »

Hi Donal,

maybe you might want to take a look at Enrico's Venice Chronicles - you might be able to compare the results with katzenjammy's descriptions

hopefully by courtesy of Enrico Casarosa ... ;-)
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

Yes ... I love this fabriano journals ... I like their size and feel ... and yes Katzenjammy is very correct they buckle with wet media, especially if you use a lot of water ...

I keep on going back and forth on deciding if I like the brown pages or not ... they are fun ... but they can be a pain to then scan correctly ... colorwise ...

anyway ... enjoy !

e
Sreudian Flip
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Fabriano Journals are great.

Post by Sreudian Flip »

I use them alot. The paper is textured and has enuf sizing to keep ink and watercolor from [mostly] bleeding thru. Sometimes I do a wax rub over them [giving them a sheen] and then do a sepia/brown ink wash over 'em. Many of my journal sheets have images on both sides and have held up for the last 5 years I've used them.
They get alittle worn with use and I have now got a leather bookcover to protect the one in use.
I even experimented with adding zincwhite to thin glue to give it more sizing for 'silverpoint' [works much better on heavier w/c sized paper].
geoffburns
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by geoffburns »

Maybe its just me, I'm probably just a Moleskine snob...which, I think every artist is to some extent...but I just got my very first Fabriano Journal by Fed-Ex today, because I'm leaving for Taiwan on Monday...was hoping that it would give me similar results that Enrico gets...:P but I have to say...first impression, strictly from looks...I'm wondering how Enrico does what he does with them, because they definitely seem to be like at least twice as thin as the Moleskine WC Journal(strictly talking paper-wise)...or is it just me? I'm not trying to dog them at all, especially since I have yet to even make a mark in it, but so far I'm a little apprehensive...
Donal
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Donal »

My sister bought me a large packet of Fabriano paper. Not the journal, but I think I'm going to cut it to smaller sizes and make my own journal. The actual paper size is like 3ftx4ft or close to it.

It's HUGE, and the texture is nice. Can't wait to get my pens on it.

Return to “Materials”