Bags to hold your materials?

Sketchbooks, pencils, pens, slabs of rock ... what's your latest discovery?

Moderator: Gerald

annelito
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Bags to hold your materials?

Post by annelito »

Ok, so what about the bag then?
The one you carry with you that contains the material you need for sketching outdoors?
Is it big enough for a thermos and some sandwiches/snacks or do you just walk into a café when feeling hungry?

I love canvas bags with lots of pockets and different areas for different things, but the bag shouldn't be too big though.

What does your bag look like?
Studio-1-F
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Studio-1-F »

My current one is the "5380-Excursion Bag", here: http://www.lewisnclark.com/index.php?ma ... cts_id=376

That back flap with all the slots is perfect for my pens. All accessible! And my 5"x 7" everyday sketchbook fits into the central compartment.

Jan
Zoe
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Zoe »

Good idea that Lewis & Clark. Actually I have one and never thought of it for my crawls. I'll have to take it out and reconsider it.

I just bought a funky wine-cooler bag, much lighter weight than the above, and two side pockets that I've been test running.

Unfortunately don't have a picture. But if anyone is interested I'll snap one.
annelito
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by annelito »

Yeah, please snap one Zoe! :)
Zoe
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Zoe »

Here it is:

It is rather a good quality, sturdy material and is bigger and deeper than the Lewis & Clark. It has a two side pockets and two slip-in pockets.

Here you can also see the protective sack within the bag with a draw-string--better to protect that wine or watercolour kit.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what brand it is as I purchased it in a local cheese and wine shop.

annelito
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by annelito »

Thanks Zoe!
Yes, looks like sturdy canvas and canvas is what I prefer.

I ordered a bag that I am anxiously waiting for. It's from a Swedish webshop though, but it looks like this:

http://www.vaskknallen.se/?pid=316860

(if you click on Visa fler bilder... under the photo you'll see more photos of the bag).

Hope it's a good one for my stuff. I like bags with lots of pockets for all sorts of materials to bring for a sketching day. :)
Zoe
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Zoe »

It, too, looks good. It also looks big.

Hope it suits your purpose.
donnam
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Re: Bags to hold your materials?

Post by donnam »

Just bought this one. Think it might be the ONE,

http://www.lesportsac.com/store/7870_3845.html
frosti
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by frosti »

My sketch bag recently suffered a fatal blow to the strap, so I am looking. I know one of the folks I've seen in SF has this bag:

http://www.cheapjoes.com/art-supply/FPV ... er-bag.asp
and I'd love to hear how they like it. It seems a little bit on the big side, but not overly so.

I prefer that it be able to hold a few brushes, pens, pencils, watercolor kit, digicam and sketchbook with easy access to all. Lately, I've been thinking "military surplus". It seems like map cases were made for sketch artists...

Neat sketches at the website too:

http://www.stutler.cc/other/sketchbook/ ... ok_22.html

The perfect kit is out there somewhere!
Studio-1-F
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Studio-1-F »

Military surplus map cases? You may be onto something there!! ----> http://www.galaxyarmynavy.com/products.asp?cat=317

Jan
Donal
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Donal »

I use a simple single-sling backpack most of the time (since I ride a bicycle everywhere) and have a plain EastSport black messenger bag. it's a little wide for my liking, though.

I like the backpack fine, because I can swing it out in front of my belly when I need to quickly get to something. It just doesn't have a lot of space. Too much stuff and it tends to feel bulky.
quiksketch
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by quiksketch »

Duluth pack makes a great bag for holding all of your supplies - the mini haversack.
Zoe
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Zoe »

Can you send a link to the particular Duluth you think is suited? I have been looking for a bag for other purposes, and several Duluth's looked good but too small for what I had in mind (travel).

Many thanks and happy holidays.
quiksketch
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by quiksketch »

I work on a small scale(Moleskine sized, but I make my own sketchbooks) so a small bag is all that I need.
The dimensions of this bag are 8x8x4, but the "full sized" haversack is 11x8x4. They also make other sizes as well as you already know since you checked their website out.
Andrew
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Andrew »

I have a small bag that fits my small 8"x5" and smaller sketchbooks and pens beautifully. It actually is a small accessory bag that straps onto a larger frame pack, but has clips for a shoulder strap and has a belt guide. (for old style military pistol belts). When I go larger scale and for longer excursions, I use a Swiss Gear Computer Backpack. It has an internal support structure, two large pockets, and two well divided smaller pockets for pens, pencils, brushes, paints, etc. It cinches tight, so if I am traveling lighter nothing bouces around, and it has protected cell phone pouch and an CD/MP3/IPod pocket with and opening for headphone cords. There are also loops on the shoulder straps to slide in pencils/pens/and brushes when not in use while sketching.

The Swiss Gear packs are a bit pricey, but are well constructed and heavy duty.

Andrew
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum."

Return to “Materials”