COPIC Markers

Sketchbooks, pencils, pens, slabs of rock ... what's your latest discovery?

Moderator: Gerald

applebunny
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

COPIC Markers

Post by applebunny »

I was wondering if anyone on here had ever used COPIC markers? They're a Japanese brand of alcohol markers that a majority of Manga artists use that are becoming popular in the US. They're expensive (almost $6 a marker, yikes) and they bleed easily, but if you get the hang of them you can come up with some beautiful works (one of my favorite groups of artists, CLAMP, have really beautiful illustrations colored with COPICs!). I've been using them for about two or three years now; I'm still trying to master them, but they're really nice markers for coloring.
Stormseye
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: COPIC Markers

Post by Stormseye »

Hiya!

I use Copic markers all the time. I live in Japan, so they're more reasonable here. Also, I only use the cool grays to lay down tones, gradients, whatever, and then color digitally. The thing I like about them is that I can refil them, and also that the nibs can be swapped out for different sizes or replaced. But to second your opinion, yup, I love 'em. I started using the original Copics, but then switched to the Copic Sketch, because they have the brush nib (awesome) on the one side insted of just the narrow pointy nib, which I always found to be a bit useless. Although, the regular Copic has a slightly broader nib then you can get for the Sketch.

I have two of each tone, so when one runs dry, I set it aside and pick up the other for the rest of the session. Then I can just refil and be ready for the next bout.
DerekSmith
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: COPIC Markers

Post by DerekSmith »

Realize this is an old thread (but not very far down the page) I love Copics as much as Trias, definitely worth checking into if you're looking for a good bit of marker work. BUT:

Here in the US they are pricey, you have to hunt for sales. A store near me will have them for 3.50/ea. and 43.00 per set of 12 as part of a Back to School sale soon... 3 bucks off of normal retail. A marker and its refill will set you back, but you get like what, 9-11 refills per? So eventually it works out to about 1.40 each from full price. Not bad if you can take that initial hit.

Great for gradients, but I find that you must go one percentage at a time, I'm not a fan of the transitions of say a warm or cool 1 to 3 to 5... I find the result much better if 1 to 2 to 3... etc.

Also, they seem to like paper with a bit of tooth, nothing too smooth. I just use them on good old Strathmore 400 series drawing paper, or... watercolor paper! hey rock on watercolor paper, and since your build-up's usually similar to watercolor (lights to darks) it's a good reminder.

If you have a set of warm and cool, you can get some of the greatest looks, it'll look like you're using a limited palette and off-setting warm skin tones, cool environments or costumes, then maybe a bit of color (even from a Prismacolor) over an area for a different hue, great stuff!

AND: since they're alcohol based, you can take advantage of Prismacolors breaking down in alcohol and effectively letting you 'paint' with them or turn any P color into a marker for a bit, if you work over it with the blender or '0' marker of a tonal range. About the only thing P has going for them these days, given how much wax they've got, how much narrower the 'lead' is, and how generally fragile the pencils have become.

Return to “Materials”