Water proof Brush Pen

Sketchbooks, pencils, pens, slabs of rock ... what's your latest discovery?

Moderator: Gerald

madsjuul
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Water proof Brush Pen

Post by madsjuul »

I just bought a Pentel color brush. and is happy with the line and the brush feeling BUT
the ink is not waterproof!!
so which pen can I get with the same(or better) brush feeling and with waterproof ink?
and where on the internet can I order it.
I'm from Denmark

-mads
studiomiguel
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: Water proof Brush Pen

Post by studiomiguel »

Here Here! Same problem, I've tried many versions, but continue to use a non-waterproof brush-pen, which can be fun when adding washes. Still, it would reeeeaaaally be nice to have a waterproof pen that is clean and convenient (no bottle, no dipping).

:-/

DMM
sunilo
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by sunilo »

Have you tried Faber-Castell's Pitt artist pens? I only really use the grays because I prefer using water soluble pens with colors, but they're available in a decent array of colors. I think they're great though!

Sunil
sunilo
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by sunilo »

Here's a link for the US, hopefully they're available in your area too.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/faber ... tist-pens/
sharpclaw
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by sharpclaw »

I had the same experience and tried a couple different solutions.

1. I took the Pentel Color brush pen apart, dumped out the ink, and refilled it with an India ink that I knew was waterproof. This worked pretty well, depending upon the flow of the ink.

2. I also tried other brush pens. The Pentel Pocket brush pen's ink is waterproof. I am not sure why its ink is and the Pentel Color brush pen's ink isn't, but that is the case... and I love the Pentel Pocket brush pen.
omar_santamaria
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by omar_santamaria »

Hi!

I also ran into the same problem when I beggan sketching, until I found waterproof PIGMA MICRON pens from SAKURA.
They come in a wide range of colours and line widths, and also have brush type ones.

Great for watercolour and wash!!

Here is a link where you can see them and also buy them.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/sakur ... icron-pen/

Hope this comment helps!!

:wave:
Kendra
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Kendra »

I've had this issue as well...

I've tried several solutions:
Zebra Pen
Pentel
Dip Deleter pen with ink bottle (not convenient at all)

And found the Sailor Profit brush pen (previously discussed on Sketchcrawl by Russ Stutler) to be the best.

I ordered it off of his recommendation alone.
I keep it with me for impromptu sketching and it is a mainstay in my kit.
Immediately waterproof once it has dried and had enough time to "sink" into the paper. Roughly 5 minutes depending on the thickness of the paper.

MangaTaro's Brush Pens (4 available)
He has other Sailor Pens available as well, as well as hard to find items from Japan.
This pen comes with 6 refills and an extra brush nib. With moderate use, this kit is really well priced and will keep you going for quite some time, and an extra nib if you find yours mangled or won't stop curling upwards.

I use it with my Moleskine Watercolor and have had really great results so far.

I purchased mine on Ebay, but if you're wary of Ebay, you can try Pen City.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photography, drawing, illustration, and design.
Kendravixie on DeviantART
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by CyberDave »

Hupport..

When I use watercolour on my work I almost never use pre-made black. I find the blacks sooty and unrealistic.
Instead I mix my own blacks and greys from a combination of palette colours as this gives IMHO more realistic look and interest.
I will typically make my blacks and greys from alizarin crimson + french ultramarine blue + yellow ochre. For personal variations sometime I substitute indigo for the ultramarine to get a deeper black.
You have to play around with the proportions of each colour, but you will find the blues are the larger portion of the mix. If you leave out the yellow ochre, the mixture tends to the deep purple.
You can substitute for other blues, reds, yellows but I find that these particular pigments have a nice layering effect in the tooth of the watercolour paper. The rougher the paper, the stronger the effect.
Try playing on some scrap pieces of watercolour paper and see what you like.

Anyway I usually pre-mix a large amount in a palette when I am using a regular brush.

I also have had a lot of success loading up a waterbrush or brush pen with the pre-mix.. but give the pen/waterbrush a good shake to keep the paint mixed before using. I usually have three waterbrush/pens pre-loaded with the following:
a) a really dark pre-mix of my black
b) a really watered down / light pre-mix of my black
c) a light pre-mixed terre verte - I use this sometimes as an light base for sketching in lines that I will go over later with a colour.

Cheers
David Fletcher
[CyberDave]
Vancouver, Canada
Melany
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Melany »

I would like to suggest you pentel Pocket Brush Pen. It’s an awesome pen, real Japanese style of broken brush line. I could not use it for some more rigid, fine, bold black comic-like drawing but for more expressive style it is just phenomenal. l like the poetry of a hand movement it follows so beautifully, giving a hairy-thin line at the tip and that lovely, broken line when you freely increase the pressure from time to time. Feels like some sort of a Zen meditation; it really kinda dances in a hand. Best soft tipped brush pen l've used so far and l could hardly believe that it could be beaten out someday.
patmosphere
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by patmosphere »

I'm a tremendous fan of the Pentel Brushpen - I really love its sensitivity. I also carry a Sailor brushpen with clear water in the convertor to accompany my mini-kit, which includes water-soluble media.
nelchee
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by nelchee »

I use the Pentel pocket brush pen as well, and I'm very satisfied with it :) It's definitely waterproof.
benpen
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by benpen »

Hi I need a bit of advice. I refilled a cartridge for my Pocket Brush with Rotring ink. It worked ok but i got cold feet and bought some more cartridges. Before putting a new one in I washed out the brush as best i could and dried it as much as i could to (gently as possible in both cases). Trouble is that since putting in the cartridge i cant seem to get the pen to work properly. at first i was getting alot of grey and its dryr brushing far to much. I've done as many lines as possible to try to get the ink flowing better, its darken up a bit (still nowhere near black) and the dry brushing is really bad, its impossible to get it to do ay kind of decent line.

Have i knackered my pen and need a new one or is it likely to get better with use? Anyone have any experience of washing out the pocket brush?

Return to “Materials”