Pencils

Sketchbooks, pencils, pens, slabs of rock ... what's your latest discovery?

Moderator: Gerald

granny c
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Favorite Pencil

Post by granny c »

This may be very late, but I just have to add the best pencil for drawing to the list.
This is the #314 Draughting Pencil. Berol used to make them, then Sanford. I couldn't find them anywhere, but now think that they are being made by General.
They are very soft, smooth, sturdy, and you can't get all ranges of tones with the one pencil.
The next best pencil is the woodless pencils, but you have to buy different pencils for the effects that you want. The old Turquoise pencils are the same.
For a cheap pencil, I like the Ticonderoga wood finished pencil. Looks like polised hardwood on the outside.
I, personally, dislike the Ebony pencils as they seem very scratchy, like fingernails on a blackboard, and I don't care for the results, either.
I like to work on a smooth paper, the larger the better! And, I also like to use soap erasers or Magic Rub with my pencils.
Hope they don't stop making those #314 Draughting Pencils!
gustavo
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by gustavo »

Thank you for taking the time to share granny c, I found your post informative and now I am curious.

I have been using just a couple pencil sets (but at some point in the near future, or maybe sooner than later) will check the ones you listed here.

For sketchcrawl or commute sketches I use Faber Castell Grip 2001 (3) and a set of (12) Reeves sketching pencils, and at home I use Staedtler, Mars Lumograph (3).
Gustavo

https://www.gustavoarizmendi.com
SketchCrawl WebHosting / Maintenance donated by yours truly from 2007 to 2022.
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Re: Pencils

Post by CyberDave »

I have not yet become comfortable using mechanical pencils for sketching.. they just don't feel right in my hands. I prefer using standard #2 wood pencils - Koh-i-noor Hardtmuth Toison D'Or 1900 in both HB and 2B. I usually carry half a dozen of each pre-sharpened in my sketch kit. I also carry one each of 4B through 9B Rexell Cumberland Derwent Graphic pencils.

I also have been testing out the following water-soluable Derwent pencils to provide simple colour. I will write up a report on what I find works for me and doesn't. I'll do this under a separate thread / topic.
AndyD1984
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: Pencils

Post by AndyD1984 »

I'm afraid I just can't get on with mechanical pencils, they just don't seem to sit right when held. The leads also seem to me to be...too thin

I get on much better with old-school pencils and although it may seem a little light for some, I would be lost without my favourite - 2H. :thumbup:

Return to “Materials”