Best Sketchbooks

Sketchbooks, pencils, pens, slabs of rock ... what's your latest discovery?

Moderator: Gerald

johunter
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Best Sketchbooks

Post by johunter »

I'm looking for the best sketchbooks for pen and wash sketching. I'd like something that could handle being a bit wet for watercolour. I'm not entirely sure if I want hot or cold pressed but would welcome any suggestions.
Andrew
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: Best Sketchbooks for colour washes.

Post by Andrew »

Well my fellow sketcher, there are several ways to solve this problem. There are watercolour sketchjournals out there, which holding 300# watercolour paper, hold up marvelously. Alternatively, you can use watercolour block (or you can make your own, there was a website linked to about.com that had step-by-step instructions. A little googling should find it easy enough.), which doesn't warp, but can be fairly pricey.

I have made my own watercolour sketch pads/books using 100# - 150# watercolour paper (which I puchase in bulk), and don't have too much problem with warping and bleed through.

My favorite solution came about fairly serendipitously. It allows me to use my standard sketch (drawing) pads (60# - 90# paper),use multiple layers of ink and watercolour wash, and holds up to opaque watercolour applications as well. I merely use isopropanol instead of water as my solvent. Just your basic rubbing alcohol (70%-90% ), and use water alone to wash my brushes. The pigments are soluable/suspendable in isopropanol, and it drys fast enough that the paper doesn't warp. Colour bleedthrough is minimal.

Good Luck!

Andrew
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum."
duien
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by duien »

Two sketchbooks I love for light watercolor/wash are Aquabee Superdeluxe (burgundy cover) and Canson All-Media books. The Aquabee is really inexpensive for something you can watercolor on, but won't hold up to anything too wet. For small paintings or ink sketches it's perfect, though. 60 sheets, 93# double-sized paper. The Canson book is a 90# watercolor paper. It actually doesn't hold up much more than the Aquabee, but the binding is more durable and the surface has more texture and fells more like a traditional watercolor paper.
4ojos
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Bindewerk sketchbook

Post by 4ojos »

Ive just seen today in a shop nearby a german Bindewerk sketchbook a bit expensive, but really good looking! Perfectly good for watercolour or ink.
http://www.bookbinders-favourites.de/sh ... izb%FCcher
RGperedo
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: Best Sketchbooks

Post by RGperedo »

I think one of the best sketchbooks on the market has to be Fabriano's Venezia sketchbooks. They have excellent thick paper I am not 100% sure of how heavy, but I would say between 90lb and 120lb paper. I use pen and ink, i also do decently heavy watercolor washes. the paper doesn't buckle until i overdo it with the washes. I have been using them for a while and I am completely satisfied.
vmarvin
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler
United States of America

Post by vmarvin »

A sketchbook is a great way to express your creativity. If you are worried about finding a sketchbook for pen and wash sketching, I think the Global Art Materials Travelogue Watercolor Book will be a good choice for you. It will prevent your drawings from bleeding, and the soft white color of the paper helps underline the colors of your pen.
vmarvin
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler
United States of America

Post by vmarvin »

I find Moleskine offers a watercolor sketchbook with acid-free, cold-pressed, heavyweight paper that is suitable for pen and wash techniques. Or Stillman & Birn Beta Series Sketchbooks is known for its robust mixed media paper that can handle both pen and wash techniques. Moreover, Strathmore's 400 Series sketchbooks are a popular choice for watercolor and mixed media work. The paper is cold-pressed and heavyweight, providing good performance with pen and wash techniques. It's worth noting that the weight of the paper also plays a role in its ability to handle watercolor. Look for sketchbooks with heavier-weight paper, typically around 140lb (300) or higher, as they tend to handle wet media better.

Return to “Materials”