Moleskine Watercolor Notebook Review and tests

Sketchbooks, pencils, pens, slabs of rock ... what's your latest discovery?

Moderator: Gerald

dandelion
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: Moleskine Watercolor Notebook Review and tests

Post by dandelion »

I have used the Hahnemühle travel sketchbook for a watercolour journal this summer, and I need to say that it's only limitedly usable as watercolour sketchbook. The paper is nice and thick, so it won't curl from the water or let anything leak through to the other side of the page, but it also seems really thirsty and simply soaks up the washes, which makes for rather uneven colour application because you don't get very far with one brushload. I still liked working with it and have produced some okay watercolour pictures in it, but I can not really recommend it if your main medium is wet. It is good as a mixed media sketchbook with only occasional, quick and rather rough adds of colour.

I will try the AMI "sketchbook impressions" book next, as it claims to be suitable for not-too-wet watercolour washes. Currently I'm struggling with the Daler Rowney sketchbook of their "simply..." line, and it's not happy with my watercolour washes AT ALL. I still don't want to abandon it only two weeks after I've started, but since it curls so much I'm afraid that in a few more weeks it will be too fat to fit into my bag.
"I prefer drawing to talking. Drawing is faster, and leaves less room for lies."
- Le Corbusier
RGperedo
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by RGperedo »

Dandelion, I just came back from visiting Europe. One of the things I made sure to buy was a Hahnemühle sketchbook. I bought a large hard cover book, I'm excited to see how it handles light washes.
zoeyku
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by zoeyku »

It's very nice for watercolor!

Return to “Materials”