Make a mini watercolor box-great for sketchcrawls

Sketchbooks, pencils, pens, slabs of rock ... what's your latest discovery?

Moderator: Gerald

dwest
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Make a mini watercolor box-great for sketchcrawls

Post by dwest »

Hi again,
I posted some instructions for making a tiny watercolor box on my blog.
It's been quite popular.
Several people have sent me photos of their creations.
The sketch on the blog post shows my own and it works great for pocketable portability along with a couple of waterbrushes.

I use it exclusively for all my sketches now. No more worries with carrying a lot of poop to sketch with.

Find it here:
http://www.idleminutes.com/index.php/20 ... r-palette/
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

wow nice idea ... very cool ...

e
dwest
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by dwest »

Glad you like it. It works great and you can find all sorts of little metal boxes.
Have fun!
chrissycream
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by chrissycream »

wow very cute :)
mdog
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by mdog »

This is such a great idea!!! I made one from an altoid can & brought it to school. Now my students are all making one for themselves!! Most of them cannot afford quality paints (they are only 14) but they are using student grade & having lots of fun. Windsor newton sells the empty 1/2 pans for watercolors for around .30 . I have also used the little end caps for shelf rods & glued them to the tins. My students enjoyed personalizing the lids by decorating them with sculptey & also made tiny brushes by pulling off the handles & making the new smaller handle from sculptey clay. These brushes fit nicely in the tins. Easy to carry in their backpacks or purses. No more excuses for not drawing in their sketchbooks which were also handmade. The coolest thing is that they are all inspired and want to sketch more!!
Thanks for the great idea!
Mdog
crgcas
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Post by crgcas »

I really like my W&N portable kit but this post really got me thinking and I eventually decided to take a crack at a case myself so I could have somthing I could also stash my brushpen and pencil in. It seems trivial but having only one small thing to carry is a huge convenience. I was teathered to the house for S.C. #14 with a newborn but am anxious for the next one! Here is a link to what I made and a teaser photo: http://www.craigcassidy.com/projects/wa ... index.html

Last edited by crgcas on Wed May 11, 2011 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
littleweaver
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: Make a mini watercolor box-great for sketchcrawls

Post by littleweaver »

Oh this is such a better idea than what I do. I tend to just carry around small plastic plates and the tubes in a bag. Thanks! :clap:

Return to “Materials”