Post by alishea »

Hey Bay Area SketchCrawlers,
Anyone have suggestions on where to go?
Xavier
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Re: San Francisco

Post by Xavier »

We can start at Union Sqaure or Yerba Buena Gardens by the Metreon. Those are both really nice locations to sketch people and scenery.
LaurieW
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by LaurieW »

I just found out about SketchCrawl and would like to join you on #35. Is this the place to learn about where to find other sketchers in San Francisco, or should I be looking elsewhere on the site?
- Laurie
alishea
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by alishea »

@Laurie,
Nope, you are in the right place.

@Xavier,
I think that's a great idea. Should we meet at 10:30a.m. at the cafe in Union Square then crawl to Yerba Buena Gardens by 4p.m.?
(I think the last few crawls have been 10-4ish.)
It's a great place because it's pretty accessible by bart, car or Muni.
LaurieW
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: San Francisco, CA., USA

Post by LaurieW »

I recently started a Meetup group for people sketching around the city, SF Sketchers, and have posted information about the upcoming Sketchcrawl the Meetup site. http://www.meetup.com/Urban-Sketchers/ Hope this is OK.
So far 6 people say they plan to come, but probably more will sign up closer to the date. (As a general rule, about half the people who sign up will actually come.)
Looking forward to joining the Sketchcrawl,
Laurie
Super_Jogurt
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Super_Jogurt »

Hi everyone, I'm newer to sketchcrawl. I was curious what kind of materials you guys usually bring to these groups. I was planning to bring pens and colored pencils since watercolors scare me. Also to LaurieW, I would love to jump into some additional local crawls if folk are starting smaller groups themselves. I'll look into your SF-Sketchers, this all sounds exciting!
mzsketchusa
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by mzsketchusa »

For interested sketchers in the southern area of the San Francisco Bay the Sketchcrawl Silicon Valley group meets monthly-- see info at
http://sketchcrawlsv.blogspot.com/
redhen
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by redhen »

Hey SF Sketchers!
If you're going to be doing the Union Square/Yerba Buena area for Sketchcrawl on the 21st, you might want to swing by the Ferry Plaza Market for the Goat Festival, 10am - 1pm. Redwood Hill Farm will be bringing baby goats to pet - there is nothing cuter than a baby goat!
http://www.cuesa.org/events/2012/goat-festival
See you there!
Nancy
gustavo
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by gustavo »

Super_Jogurt wrote:Hi everyone, I'm newer to sketchcrawl. I was curious what kind of materials you guys usually bring to these groups. I was planning to bring pens and colored pencils since watercolors scare me. Also to LaurieW, I would love to jump into some additional local crawls if folk are starting smaller groups themselves. I'll look into your SF-Sketchers, this all sounds exciting!
Materials are really a personal choice, bring and use those you are most comfortable with, be prepared to enjoy the day :)
Gustavo

https://www.gustavoarizmendi.com
SketchCrawl WebHosting / Maintenance donated by yours truly from 2007 to 2022.
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by CyberDave »

@Super Jogurt
At the last Sketchcrawl there were a few "crawlers" that brought only color pencils and sketchbooks to our Vancouver Canada session. They said they had just as much fun as the sketchers with the "back breaking" bag of equipment but without the pain. :)
As to your fear of watercolor.. try starting out just using one or two colors as a light wash with your regular pen sketching. Nobody expects you to come up with a watercolor masterpiece on the first try, just use the color as a highlight to your sketch. The other idea.. if you feel comfortable with color pencils, try switching to watercolor pencils. You can use them dry just like regular color pencils, then try taking a brush with clean water and carefully smudge the sketch to blend the color.
Check out this link - you should be able to click on the images and see a bigger view of each image..
http://cyberdave1.blogspot.ca/2012/01/p ... 52-2b.html ... but you don't have to get the big tin of wc pencils :) , just start out with a few pencils until you feel comfortable. Hint: cross-hatch with two different color wc pencils and the colors will mix when wet :) to form a third color. eg yellow and blue = green

@Gustavo and @Super Jogurt
I am going to bring out some blank Postcards and blank Artist Trading Cards out to the Vancouver, Canada group this time. Will try and get a few people to try one of each of these. The cards can be done with pen, marker, watercolor, color pencils.. whatever is comfortable. Because of the size these can be done quickly. This is in addition to whatever sketching media (sketch books etc) people will be using through-out the rest of the day. The idea is for the Artist Trading Cards to be used as a remembrance of the day. The intention is for the finished Postcards to be mailed to Sketchcrawler 35 participants in other cities. I hope we can photograph the Postcards and ATCs before the day ends and post the photos on Sketchcrawl.

We'll see how it works out.

I wish all the San Francisco a great Sketchcrawl day on Apr 21 :wave:

Dave
(Cyberdave)
Vancouver, BC, Canada
JCTrujillo
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by JCTrujillo »

I'm not trying to override anything that's already been said, but I came across a possible opportunity in my e-mail this morning. On the same day as SketchCrawl there will also be free models to draw from at a burlesque model drawing marathon at the Holiday Inn at Fisherman's Wharf from 2-3:45. Might be a good way to end off a day of drawing around the piers.
John D
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by John D »

Can you explain a little bit about that event?
JCTrujillo wrote:"free models to draw from at a burlesque model drawing marathon at the Holiday Inn at Fisherman's Wharf from 2-3:45.
John Deckert
www.johnd.com
JCTrujillo
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by JCTrujillo »

No problem. There's a drawing group called Dr. Sketchy's and it's being put on by their San Francisco division. They seem to specialize in having atypical models to draw from. Here's the link they sent to me with the e-mail to see more information. http://www.meetup.com/SanFranciscoFigur ... grp&rv=ea1
dcolivier
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by dcolivier »

I am one of the organizers for Dr. Sketchy's and we would LOVE to have SketchCrawl wrap up their day with us!!! It's a FREE event with 8 fabulous burlesque models from around the country who are in town for Tease-O-Rama at Bimbos on Columbus Ave Friday and Saturday April 20,21. I'll be drawing with SketchCrawl in the morning and putting on the Dr. Sketchy's event in the afternoon. PS if you haven't been to a Tease-O-Rama I highly recommend!!!http://www.bimbos365club.com/event/92857/
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

Hello SF friends!

After missing a couple of sketchcrawls I'm finally able to join in the fun again!
Looking forward to it.

The dr sketchy idea sounds like a lot of fun! We should find a meeting point and route that can accommodate
joining the fun figure drawing at the holiday inn.
Ghirardelli square and the piers could work... Anyone know of a good cafe around there?
Everything is so touristy around there ... :(
Maybe making our way there from north beach?
Much better coffee ... ;)

E

Return to “35th World Wide SketchCrawl”