Saturday April 21st 2012

Moderators: Gerald, PaintMonster

sketchcat
Real Crawler
Real Crawler
United States of America

HOUSTON, Texas

Post by sketchcat »

We are going to crawl here in Houston. We haven't decided where yet. Post suggestions here.
adine
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: HOUSTON, Texas

Post by adine »

If it's raining, we could go to the Natural Museum of Science.
sketchcat
Real Crawler
Real Crawler
United States of America

Post by sketchcat »

Went there last crawl. I suspect weather will not be an issue. We had discussed Trader's Village or Discovery Green.
minigirl
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by minigirl »

There is a lot going on at Discovery Green this Saturday. A flea market, yoga and a children's book event plus all the skyline architecture. Centrally located too.
I'm in for Saturday. I hope we have a better turnout than previous. For Houston's big art community we sure get a small turnout. Last summer in Lisbon we had a huge crowd from kids, teens, adults and seniors and it was awesome! If you are thinking about it don't be shy and come join us. Skill level has nothing to do with what we are doing.
Vivaldirules
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Vivaldirules »

Well, okay. If I'm not stuck at work, I'm in. Mind you, I've rarely sketched outdoors (I usually struggle with slow pen or pencil drawings indoors) but you have to stretch out and try new things now and then. And if the weather is like today, it should be great. Name the time and I'll plan on Discover Green, if that's the choice. (shudders with nervous anticipation)

Jon
Vivaldirules
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Vivaldirules »

Well, I'm now scheduled to work Saturday so I can only wish you all a good time. Enjoy it and be sure to post some photos. I hope to be with you at the next crawl in June.

Jon
sketchcat
Real Crawler
Real Crawler
United States of America

Post by sketchcat »

My only hesitation is that Houston Festival is also going on this weekend downtown and it will be a MADHOUSE. So I propose going early.
adine
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by adine »

Unfortunately, I will out of town this Saturday. I wish you all a wonderful sketchcrawl.
tomypeck
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by tomypeck »

I will like go be there, but I'm right now in Spain for a while. The Julia Ideson Building, is a great place to sketch, I went there a few days ago. But I don't now if is open Saturday's. Have a very good sketch crawl
sketchcat
Real Crawler
Real Crawler
United States of America

Post by sketchcat »

Sorry you won't be joining us Tomas.
See you next crawl.
minigirl
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by minigirl »

Ok lets lock down a plan for tomorrow. How about meeting at 9 at Discovery Green? How about if we meet in the Lindsey Waterside Landing & Garden #4 on the map. It is near the Garage entrance, with your back to the convention center it will be to the right of the garage. If you are joining us late we'll return to that area at 11 a.m. for you to join us. Then we'll choose somewhere nearby for lunch. Maybe in the area behind Convetion Center? If there is a change to the plan we'll post it here by 7:30 a.m. since some have a bit of a drive into downtown. Park map online: http://www.discoverygreen.com/files/80/
minigirl
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by minigirl »

Tomorrow is the re-enactment of The Battle of San Jacinto. They will have a battle re-enactment at 3 but starting at 10 a.m. with Mexican and Texan camps set up.
This would be a pretty cool opportunity and something completely Texas-y. I now change my vote from Discovery Green to San Jacinto Battle. What do you think?
The website: http://www.sanjacinto-museum.org/
sketchcat
Real Crawler
Real Crawler
United States of America

Post by sketchcat »

I agree. I may not stick around until 3, but there will be bands and lots of people in costume and the camps will be set up. I think this sounds like a great plan.
What time did you think you would go? I'll go early still I think.
minigirl
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by minigirl »

We are going to leave fairly early - it opens at 10. Do not take the ferry route - there is only one running. The info is on the website. We hope to be getting there at 10 I want to go sketch in the encampment.
sketchcat
Real Crawler
Real Crawler
United States of America

Post by sketchcat »

OK the meetup for Houston sketchers is at the San Jacinto Battleground. Judith posted a link to the site where there are driving directions.
"Easy" is 45 south to 610 east to 225 going towards Pasadena. Take the Independence Parkway exit and you can't miss it.
We are meeting on the steps of the monument in front of the reflecting pool around 10.
See you all there.

Return to “35th World Wide SketchCrawl”