Solo Crawl Marin [RESULTS]

Saturday April 21st 2012

Moderators: Gerald, PaintMonster

John D
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Solo Crawl Marin [RESULTS]

Post by John D »

I couldn’t make it into the city so this was a Sketchcrawl solo, but we’re never really solo, are we? Life is so full of others and the bright sun today brought out the best of them. I wish I could say I drew all this from life. I wish I was as quick as Gary Amaro, http://garyamaro.blogspot.com/ but no . . . These were all done this evening from photos taken during the day. Not only that, but Anne took enough of the photos to qualify me for slacker-of-the-day award.

Every morning I like to take a look at the painting I'm working on. This sketch shows the composition of a painting of orchids I've got up on the easel at the moment. It's unfinished and measures 60 inches by 72 inches. The biggest I've ever done.
Four or five goldfish came to the warmed surface of our pond and a dragonfly skirted the water hawthorne like a tiny, skinny easter bunny, looking to lay hidden eggs.
Lots of cyclists and a guy on a scooter came rolling over the hill from Mill Valley.
ImageImage
We ate lunch at the Corte Madera Café.
Our server was a slender woman with a truly angelic face but I have not represented her very well with this drawing. Can the arts ever match living beauty? We try, and so often fall short. Daily matching wits with the ugliness of life.
We continued our excursion to the Sloat Nursery where I caught this woman watering herbs while Anne picked out baby lettuce and cilantro.
In the other direction I note the large but portable mollusk mural has been brought back to Proof Lab, a landmark surfer's shop. It hangs around the corner from an immense mural painted on the wall of rolling waves at sunset.
So lucky to be able to draw in this area filled with art and nature and interesting people, don't you think?
Last edited by John D on Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John Deckert
www.johnd.com
Otay0187
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: Solo Crawl USA [RESULTS]

Post by Otay0187 »

I think you have a good line quality in your drawings even if they were taken with the pictures. The place where you drew sounds like a good place to stage a visit.
Lola
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Lola »

Love them all - well done
sketchingtoo
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by sketchingtoo »

I agree! Nice sketches and recap, John. Thank you for sharing.
John D
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Re: Solo Crawl Marin [RESULTS]

Post by John D »

Thank you all for the kind comments.
John Deckert
www.johnd.com

Return to “35th World Wide SketchCrawl”