Saturday July 14th 2012

Moderators: Gerald, PaintMonster

crgcas
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Phoenix, AZ USA - [Results]

Post by crgcas »

Phoenix has been in the 113-118F range the last few weeks so even with the humidity a rainy day of 93 was wonderful! My son and I began the day with a donut then did a few sketches at Desert Ridge while we waited for the Pop Culture Museum to open at 11. I have to admit, I was pretty skeptical of the place even after skulking around the gift shop area upon walking in for a minute. We were allowed to poke around the first floor for free before "commiting" to the steep $5 cover to see the rest of the museum. Before we had the chance to however Ellison, the resident artist on staff, blew us away with a tour of his back-room studio and in-progress artwork. This alone was worth the price of admission! The Museum boasts the largest collection of action figures in the world and it is not hard to imagine. Room after room of endless (still sealed) figures, costumes & toys from Star Wars, Star Trek and everything else imaginable. My son quickly set up camp in the Hot Wheels section and got to work. I struggled wih a few Ogres and Hell Boys that I should have abandoned but had so much fun. It was difficult to stop and sketch when all we wanted to do was soak it all in. As always it was good to see everyone and meet new artists. As the day was ending it began to storm (it is monsoon season here) so we abondoned out idea of sketching more around the outdoor mall and grabbed takout chinese instead but all in all it was an excellent day!

One of the Desert Ridge Courtyard areas where we waited before the opening:

Craig
crgcas
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Re: Phoenix, AZ USA - [Results]

Post by crgcas »

Here are my son's sketches:

Image Image Image Image Image

ChaosEtc
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by ChaosEtc »

Aww, I love the C3PO and R2 in the desert! Today was really fun, I'm glad it worked out. Here's my meager effort. I added digital color to the first one at home.

paradeisos
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler
Spain

Post by paradeisos »

What an amazing sketchcrawl! Congratulations.
Great to see father and son sketching together!
hikediva
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by hikediva »

Awesome! Way to be creative when it's so witheringly hot!
crgcas
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Post by crgcas »

Annie: They came out great as always! The snowmanlooks good - he looked excellent before and after the cleanup! Will anyone else post sketched to the forum?

Here are a few pix - it is nearly impossible to do the place justice with photos inside beacuse the space is so tightly packed with stuff!

Image Image Image Image Image

A very ominous looking storm rolled in in the afternoon:
Image Image

There are SO many people posting from so many cities now - it is a challenge to keep up with them all! So rewarding to see all of everyone's perspectives on everything!
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by CyberDave »

Craig & Son & ChaosEtc

Really cool sketches from all looks like a great day despite the heat.
I will return later and have a better luck but have to go and chase away the forum SPAMMERS :evil: :(
It seems spamming is quite a pastime for many :x

Cheers
Cyberdave
Vancouver, Canada
ChaosEtc
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by ChaosEtc »

Here are John's drawings. :-)

Galactus

Sonic
johntdick
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by johntdick »

Hey guys - great posts - looked like it was a real interesting place. Sorry I couldn't make it this time (My wife has a collection of unopened star wars figures and she would have had a blast :wave: )

All the best and see you next time
John

Return to “36th World Wide SketchCrawl”