Barcelona (Spain)-Results

Saturday July 14th 2012

Moderators: Gerald, PaintMonster

dave c
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Barcelona (Spain)-Results

Post by dave c »

This time the crawl started at Plaza Catalunya. Once the participants of the Sketching Competition sponsored by Moleskine were ready to go, the crawling began!
Travelingsuep was in town, so along with Cesar and Sagar we went to the Corte Ingles cafe that over looks the plaza and provides a great panoramic view of the city.

Montjuic Palace and the Communications Tower.

Partial sketch of one of the many statues around the Plaza.

Next stop was the church of Santa Ana. The light was constantly changing due to the cloud movement and it wasn't long until the first drops of rain fell.

At the Plaza de la Catedral, I only had time to do some quick random sketches, then it was time for me to go home for lunch.

Looking forward to see what the other sketchers did.
It was nice meeting up with Travelingsuep, hopefully we can sketch together again during her stay here.
bh yoo
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Re: Barcelona (Spain)-Results

Post by bh yoo »

You captured many scenes. Like all, especially the statue drawing. Thank you for sharing! Hope you to enjoy the sketching with Travelingsuep soon! :thumbup: :clap: :)
kumi matsukawa
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by kumi matsukawa »

Beautiful works, Dave! I especially love Montjuic Palace and the Communications Tower. They have great feel of largeness and distance. I like your style, line drawing with one color shading :thumbup: I'll come back and see some other Brcelonéses and Travelingsuep's works.
Francis
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by Francis »

Que pasada de dibujos, me han encantado, felicidades. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Francis
www.franciscogomezjarillo.com
travelingsuep
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by travelingsuep »

First, I must start this by saying Muchas gracias a todos!!!!

I had the best day SketchCrawling with the Barcelona sketchers on Saturday. I'd like to thank everyone for making me feel welcome, speaking English on my behalf, and putting up with my bad Spanish, especially Cesar and Dave. Also, Sagar, Antonio, Saki, Silvie... EVERYONE was so nice!!!

I've posted a full report with more photos on my blog http://artofanomad.blogspot.com.es/2012 ... ndial.html

As Dave said, we started in the cafe of Corte Ingles and I found the panoramic view daunting, so chose this brightly coloured roof to focus on.

I got to Santa Ana before Dave and was lucky enough not to have rain there - that was at the next location for me - so drew the flower stall. I was going to colour this, but I liked my lines.

More drawing continued throughout lunch. I love paper place mats, don't you?

Here is the tourist shot taken whilst we waited for our delicious lunch. (If anyone wants a HiRes copy please message me)

At Plaza de San Felip Neri, you got the full impression of how many people were out sketching.
My version:

The last official stop was Plaza del Pi, were many of us felt we couldn't draw any more.

Then there was time for a last drawing or two in the George & Dragon.

Saturday's SketchCrawl was the longest day I have ever spent sketching, the furthest I have walked on a Crawl, and the most fun with the nicest people. All in all the best day!

Thank you again Barcelona sketchers.
dave c
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by dave c »

Thanks bh yoo. I'm glad you like the drawing of the statue. There are a lot around the plaza, makes me wish I could sculpt!!

Thanks Kumi. Every time I visit the forum I love seeing how people work with watercolours, especially your sketching style. Have you seen 75 Marion's sketches on the Paris Results post (very nice too).

Muchas gracias Francis, me alegro que te han gustado.

Thanks for posting the results Sue. Good to see you kept busy in the afternoon (pub included!).
I love the flower stall sketch, works great without colours. Nice contrast between busy areas and empty spaces. Glad you had a good time.

Hopefully we'll see more of the groups results. I didn't take part in the competition but those who did had to hand in their sketchbooks, so maybe they can't share their results.

Meanwhile, Diego Arias Garcia has posted his beautiful watercolours (and some photos) on his blog
http://acuarelasdiegoarias.blogspot.com.es/
isaac duenyas
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

more results

Post by isaac duenyas »

This sketchcrawl was quite interesting with a lot of surprises. Here some of my draws.
travelingsuep
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by travelingsuep »

Great drawings Isaac. :clap:

Hope to draw again with you soon.
dave c
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by dave c »

¡Muy chulos Isaac! Me encanta como has hecho la Catedral. Gracias por compartir tus resultados!
Maki
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Maki »

Wow everyone has deferent style!
dave c, I like your blue shadows. Cool and expressing the structure well.
travelingsuep, I love the first one's beautiful roof. And it's good to seeing your photos.
isaac duenyas, Strong brush lines are nice! And I love the last one's two tone.
Very nice sketches, Barcelona!!
eclecticbox
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by eclecticbox »

Hi everyone!

Sorry for posting so late!
As Travellingsuep has reported very well, the 36th SketchCrawl was a good one for the Barcelona Crawlers.
Along with us, a contest of Urban Drawing on Sketchbooks run that very same day bringing 274 sketchers to crawl on the same spots we had proposed, therefore at different times and places, the city centre seemed it had been taken by hordes of SketchCrawlers. The sights were incredible when entering small squares of the route and even when walking from point to point you could see people wandering with their contest's sketchbooks. Hopefully some of this participants will join future SketchCrawls despite the lack of prizes!

Anyway, here are my results:

From the cafeteria of El Corte Inglés, along with Travellingsuep (portrayed) and Dave c on my right.

Next stop Santa Ana's Church

From there to the Barcelona's Cathedral, where I choose to draw a back view of it from a pretty quiet street (bearing in mind that whole area was ¨infested¨ by tourist )

After lunch we went to the Plaza San Felip Neri (which I didn't draw) and afterwards to the Plaza del Pi (below).

Later on a few of us had a drink and show each other our sketchbooks, when I got home thoug I was so fired up that I couldn't resist myself to draw with my iPad our lovely terrace after having dinner with a friend.
isaac duenyas
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by isaac duenyas »

Thanks for the comments Maki, Sue and Dave. Your draws are also amazing as the ones of EclecticBox! The sketchcrawl was great and plenty of good vibes!
notnottana
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by notnottana »

I like all. Paricularly last two of electicbox !! digital postproduction for color?
eclecticbox
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by eclecticbox »

@notnottana Thank you! Last drawing was entirely made on IPad, the previous ones only traditional media.
dave c
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by dave c »

These look great, Eclecticbox. The flower stall at Santa Ana looks really nice, rendered in a loose style. The colours on the scene from behind the Cathedral look amazing. The figures look full of life, nicely captured!! :D

Some other sketchers have posted their results on their blogs,

Eduardo Vicente
http://acuarelis.blogspot.com.es/

ShiemBCN
http://dedibujoendibujo.blogspot.com.es/

Return to “36th World Wide SketchCrawl”