Wellington, New Zealand!

Saturday July 13th, 2013

Moderators: Gerald, PaintMonster

Kiwibear
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Wellington, New Zealand!

Post by Kiwibear »

Wellington Sketchers will be joining in for the Worldwide Sketchcrawl # 40 on Saturday 13th July 2013. We all really enjoyed the last one, so come along to this one! All levels of sketching ability and newcomers are very welcome. Our website is http://wellingtonsketchers.blogspot.co.nz/ Please fill out our poll above if you are interested in coming along, and help us choose the location for the sketchcrawl. Don't be shy! We will pick the option that gets the most votes. You need to register with this site to vote (it is easy and painless to register!), or vote by emailing us (see address below). Although you are welcome to just turn up on the day, it would also be great if you could RSVP to Wellington.sketchers@gmail.com or post on this thread if you will be coming to the Sketchcrawl so we can keep an eye out for you and have some vague idea of numbers! :thumbup:
Kiwibear
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Sketchcrawl location

Post by Kiwibear »

Hi everyone. The votes are in (by email & this forum), and we will go to the Cable Car Museum. This is a great location because if the weather is good, we can walk around the Botanical Gardens & the Observatory. The views form the top of the mountain are superb. If the weather is bad we can stay in the Cable Car Museum, dash across to the Observatory, or even catch the Cable Car itself. So there are lots of options. I'll sort out an advertising poster and post details of times and exact meeting spots soon.
Kiwibear
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Sketches we did

Post by Kiwibear »

It was great to see everyone. The weather was pretty cool, but not too bad for a mid-winter day. We started at Kelburn Lookout and sketched there, while waiting for more sketchers. There was snow on the Rimutaka Mountains on the other side of the Harbour. Beautiful!

Here are the sketches we did at Kelburn Lookout:

Sketch by Sharon Alderson of the cable car sign down at the bottom on Lambton Quay (top left) and the view from the top from Kelburn Lookout (bottom). Love the colours!

Rachel (who, incidentally, has my dream job...) also did a beautiful watercolour of the view, but I don't have a photo of it.

A sketch looking away from the lookout down onto the paths leading into the Botanic Gardens:

Sketch by Kerrie

Then we went down to the Carter Observatory and sketched around there. It was pretty quiet down this area, and I think the few people we saw were tourists. All the Wellingtonians were probably still sleeping in! I love this building though:

Sketch by Rachel.

Sketch by Kerrie. If you are wondering which sketch more accurately reflects the place, I can definitely point you to Rachel's! I got a bit carried away and lost some of the correct proportions ;o) Still, I enjoyed sketching it, which is the main thing.

The brickwork of the path:

Sketch by Sharon Alderson.

By now it was lunch time and we decided to head down to the cafe, and met up with Kriselle. After lunch some of use went home and some kept sketching. So I may have more sketches to upload, depending on what the afternoon people did.

As usual, it was lovely to meet up with other sketchers, and we had a great morning!
Kerrie
Last edited by Kiwibear on Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
JJ Bell
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Re: Wellington, New Zealand!

Post by JJ Bell »

Great stuff here..
Kiwibear
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Kiwibear »

Thank you! We had a fun time. Hope you enjoyed the day too. :D
JJ Bell
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by JJ Bell »

We had a great time here in Brisbane Australia!!

Return to “40th World Wide SketchCrawl”