San Francisco, CA USA

Saturday October 18th, 2014

Moderators: Gerald, PaintMonster

trnoble
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

San Francisco, CA USA

Post by trnoble »

Hello San Francisco sketchers! It is getting close to the next sketchcrawl and time for location ideas. Please join in and make some suggestions.

The following is a list of some San Francisco spots, most are our popular sketching locations.

Industrial Port Area – (New) Behind AT&T Park, ocean views, mechanical giant lifting cranes, rugged industrial buildings, and rusty environments

Pacific Heights - elegant neighborhood with blocks and blocks of Victorian mansions and breathtaking views of the Bay and Golden Gate Bridge

Presidio/Crissy Fields - the longest used military post in the United States with buildings dating back to 1848. Beautiful views, a place frequented by joggers and dog walkers

Coit Tower/North Beach - best known as San Francisco's Little Italy; which offers countless Italian restaurants and old world delicatessens

Mission – San Francisco’s predominantly Latino neighborhood is 24th Street, a colorful collection of authentic restaurants, taquerias, Mexican bakeries, produce markets, specialty shops and murals.

Noe Valley - A family oriented neighborhood alive with great restaurants, shopping, coffee shops and bistros, more "remote" than other districts. A vibrant weekend scene is Dolores Park

China Town - San Francisco Chinatown is the largest Chinatown outside of Asia as well as the oldest Chinatown in North America, filled with authentic Chinese cuisine and gift shops

SOMA /Yerba Buena – downtown San Francisco, Yerba Buena Park with water fall fountain, historic church, Museum of Modern Art, Jewish Museum, and Cartoon Art Museum

Ocean Beach/Goldengate Park – Ocean views, beach people, historic Windmill and nature
ArdensEye
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: San Francisco, CA USA

Post by ArdensEye »

Hi there,

I am new to this event, just joined the Meetup called SF Sketchers. I may be out of town with said meetup over the weekend, but if not, I can join you in SF. I live in Berkeley.

Arden
splinesmith
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by splinesmith »

Hi!
I haven't been able to make it to a SketchCrawl for at least a year, and I just jumped on here and saw that one was coming up this weekend. Is this still a go?

And may I say, the first location really piqued my interest--the Industrial Port Area. I am really jonesing for some industrial subject matter, both for sketching and some photography. I'm really stoked about urban decay. Anyone else want to go exploring there? I'm kind of chicken about running around those places by myself--safety in numbers, and all that.

Thanks, John
John Atkinson
Atkinson Productions
trnoble
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by trnoble »

The industrial area is very interesting. There is just a catch, in that there are no known restaurants and cafes. It seems that if we make the meeting place the Ferry Building at the Embarcadero, where there are cafes and restroom, we can then roam up to the industrial area. If some prefer a more populated location, they can also stay around the Ferry Building or roam up the Embarcadero in the other direction. What does everybody think?
ccarney
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by ccarney »

two votes for ferry building. lots going on there with the farmers' market. also, north along the embarcadero is the new cruise ship plaza with expansive views of coit tower, transamerica pyramid, the bridge--and lots of benches to sit on while sketching.
monking
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by monking »

For the colors, busy sidewalks, shop windows and signs, I vote for Chinatown.

I've been to several Sketchcrawls in LA, one in SF. This will be my first since moving to Mountain View last month.
robmoon
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by robmoon »

The Ferry building sounds great.
trnoble
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by trnoble »

OK, great it looks like the Ferry Building is the favorite this time! We can meet at 10:30ish at Pete's Coffee and Tea. It is located at the center back of the Ferry Building with the doors opening to the outdoors area.

The weather is suppose to be in the 70s and sunny with some morning clouds.

See you all then!

Return to “45th World Wide SketchCrawl”