LONDON - RESULTS

Saturday October 25th 2008
Paper Sails
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

LONDON - RESULTS

Post by Paper Sails »

Here are my sketches from Sketchcrawl 20 London. It was a good event. I met some nice people and had a good time. A bit disappointed in these sketches though. They don't really show much about where in the world they were done. We crawled past a lot of really interesting places but I sadly I didn't draw them. Maybe it was the cold or perhaps I was just shy about stepping out of my comfort zone. I'll try and get out again soon and to draw the surroundings and not just passing people.

Larger images linked up on my blog
Thorsten
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Re: LONDON - RESULTS

Post by Thorsten »

-- you got even more images to head for? Wow, Paper Sails, I am already looking with great joy upon your people here. Good poses. A real treasure to digg in sometime soon again for you.

in thanks for sharing,
t.
donnam
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by donnam »

I like your people sketches a lot. Once you start sketching in public, you will find your fear will go away really fast because everyone who looks over your shoulder wishes they could draw and will think you are an incredible artist. As Nike says---Just Do IT!
thek
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by thek »

Great sketches Paper Sails (I nearly called you Paper Sails yesterday!). Your sketches have great enconomy of line and character in the people you drew, and I recognise a whole load of those people and all the places you sketched them! I know what you mean about capturing more of the environment - I was thinking the exact same thing on the way home yesterday. I was looking at what I'd done and remembering Marina's sketch of the queue at the Tate, and thinking that sketch could not have been done at any other time, or any other place than there and then - and that tends to be what I look for when looking through past sketchcrawls - a place and a sense of time. That said, the very act of sketching in a group creates smaller shared situations that although may be missing major landmarks recognisable to the masses, still evoke the spirit of the time and place to all those who were present.

Thanks for organising things yesterday - I had a great time, met loads of talented like minded sketching enthusiasts, and for the first time managed to just draw out in the open without caring (too much) about the people around me. I did notice that when I got home that Tom wasn't the only one to fall foul of a pigeon's dropped load, and it must have happened about the time we were sketching the performers on the Golden Hinde. So I'd been walking around for the whole afternoon with pigeon droppings on my left shoulder.

Woke up this morning and splashed some watercolour on the first few of these to break up the monotony. I learnt so much from doing these and from watching everybody draw. Looking forward to the next one!

Donal
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Donal »

Someone was busy. :D

Great pencil sketches.
Tom D
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Tom D »

There must be something magic about pigeon crap, because those are some great sketches, Thek. I love the character that you managed to get out of your subject's faces, particularly those bench-sitters. To me it looks like you had a great day, Paper Sails. I am going to remember what you said about being careful to choose just the right line, because it seems to be working for you.

By contrast, here are my own scribbles:
mhimeswc
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by mhimeswc »

This is the most interesting batch of people sketches I've seen yet. You all managed to find such great characters and bring them to live on paper. Nice work everyone!
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Joan T »

Paper Sails, Thek, and Tom - :D I think your group gets the award for the greatest number of people sketched for the SketchCrawl. These are great and each of you has such a fun and interesting style!!!!
thek
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by thek »

Cheers Tom, I haven't washed that jacket yet - and now that you've said that I may store it away for the next sketch crawl. The pigeon droppings seem to have done their trick for you too although I do have a sneaking suspicion you fell into a cauldron of the stuff when you were a kid and they had a permanent effect on you! The gestures in your sketches are just perfect. When I saw your sketch of the 3 performers on the Golden Hinde on Saturday, I couldn't wait to see it again and it's even better than I remember. And both you and Paper Sails have that enviable knack of being able to draw people perfectly relaxed - and it seems there were a lot of perfectly relaxed people at the BFI.

Donal, thanks - it was so cold we had to keep busy!

mhimeswc, I'd never been to that area of London before, so I was following these guys round like a tourist and just enjoying every step and sketch pause. And those guys on the boat - it was like Blackadder the musical - people pay people to dress up like that to draw them!

JoanT, thanks, there were five other sketchers with us too. I think we may have drawn a lot less if we'd been in a hot sunny country with copious amounts of cake and refreshment! I for one have a weakness for cake. And sunshine.

Chris, Mattia and Anna, the Expo and Games Career Fair I mentioned starts tomorrow and ends Wednesday - details are here:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/careerfair
Tuesday appears to be sold out, but there are 200 or so tickets left for Wednesday.
ushio18
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by ushio18 »

I agree with Joan T.. this group def has the most people sketches i've seen so far. Great sketches London!!
olkazavr
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by olkazavr »

Great sketches, Paper Sails and thek!
Tom D, I like how you picked up the movement and graceful cat at the first one
my blog
Sketchcrawl adventures: my blog-->sketchcrawl
Paper Sails
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Paper Sails »

Those sketches look great Tom. I only got a quick look at them on Saturday. So much Character.
Lord M
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Lord M »

Hello,
Mattia here.... Sorry for the delay of the answers!

Awfully I was working during the games fair, so I didn't came, but I can see the address of all the companies in London and send my showreel I think (hopefully ready in this weekend).

And awfully again I will post my sketches a bit late because I have still my scanner in Italy actually and I got some pictures with the camera but the focus is not right. I hope tomorrow to be ready to show you my results!

Hello to all the new friends met in London the last weekend and all the ones in the world that will want to leave a comment on my work.

Bye!
Lord M
___ ___ ___

Sanity is another way to MadNEesS!
Macaruba
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Macaruba »

Tom Dows stuff looks good, I'd love to see this stuff cleaned up a bit.
I couldn't make it to London but I did my own SketchCrawl with the topic called
"East, UK [RESULTS]", here viewtopic.php?f=42&t=3329

Macaruba

http://www.macaruba.com
marina
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by marina »

Hello London sketchcrawlers...Sorry I haven't managed to post my sketches yet as I need to get a scanner first (hopefully this weekend!).
I was amazed by all the talented people that joined the group last saturday, very inspiring...I actually got a bit carried away with drawing people as well, which is definetly outside my confort zone.
Thanks to everyone for their support and tips during the day. Looking forward to the next one

Return to “20th World Wide SketchCrawl”