San Francisco, CA - USA

Saturday January 10th 2009

Are you up for meeting only at the end of the day for this sketchcrawl?

Yes, let's try it!
43%
Uhm, not sure...
13%
Nah, I'd rather not.
43%

Total votes: 30

enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

San Francisco, CA - USA

Post by enrico »

hey San Fran crew ... how's it going ...

I want to run something by all of you ... an idea ... trying something a little different ...

WHAT IF ... for this one crawl we try a different format ...
what if we try and meet at the end of the day ONLY. Each one of us goes out, wherever we feel like,
and draws away all day ... then we come together at 5pm somewhere and do the sketchbook sharing ...
and see where everyone else went ...

What do you think?

This is something I thought might be fun to try to just get a few more drawings in the day ... given that, at least for me, I've been doing a lot of socializing but less drawing ... again, just a test, but I get the feeling it might be refreshing to try this ...

I'll make a poll, please vote yay or nay!

cool ... later SFcrawlers!

:)

e
AtomicBear
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: San Francisco, CA - USA

Post by AtomicBear »

Hey Enrico.

It was nice seeing you at APE 2008.

I am on the fence about not meeting at the start. One of the great thing is to meet up with artists you don't know at the start and go on an adventure. The first Sketch Crawl I went on I made a new art friend. It also is fun when everyone is drawing in the same area so we can compare notes and see how each other interpreted it. Of course with out meeting first the crawl can make huge jumps as artist hop on BART or MUNI to go all over the place.

I would love a China Town sketch crawl personally.
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Josh Frost »

Hey San Fran Crawlers

I just wanted to thank you one more time for the great time I had at the 20th! I'm back in Seattle and will make you guys proud over here!

Thanks again to all the great people I met! KIT

- Josh "Seattle" Frost

http://joshfrost.wordpress.com/
pete
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by pete »

Love the idea!
Gerald

Post by Gerald »

I'm all for the new idea :thumbup:
emma
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by emma »

I like the idea! Having time for drawing and THEN time for talking and sharing feels good. I have a really hard time talking and drawing at the same time.

Plus then you get an added cool-factor of running across Sketchcrawlers all over the city! People will think it's an Improv Everywhere thing, if we all wear the shirts... :thumbup:
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

good to hear some feedback ...

indeed I totally think we're gonna be running into each other ... and some of you might choose to have a small group of friends meeting early ... that's totally fine ... I am just looking for an experiment where we get a little more drawing done and then meet at the end of the day to find out where everyone else went and what they discovered ...

:)

e
marc_taro
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by marc_taro »

So, sounds cool to me - but FYI, one of the staff at that coffee shop we invaded last time said we should have told them we were coming. She mentioned the one girl at the counter was kind of overwhelmed....so we can't exactly make reservations...but we should find someplace big enough for groups...
dcolivier
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by dcolivier »

part of the attraction for me is this big public group out in public doing art all together. I think it makes a big impression and feels kind of subversive! Plus I get lots done even in the group. So personally, I would like have a group to crawl with and then I would also love to meet up with a group at a specific time/place to share.
I haven't crawled Chinatown yet, that seems like a rich vivid area, I'd like to go there.
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

Marc - you have a good point ... that brings up the important choice of where to end up the crawl!
if anyone knows a good place for 50 people to invade for an hour or two I am open to suggestions ... it might be a little nippy to meet outside ....

some places off the top of my head

Metreon
Westfield (food court?)
the cafe' of the DeYoung (golden Gate park)
Japantown in front of Kinokuniya?

just a few ideas ... no cafe' or establishment big enough comes to mind right now ... let's brain storm some more ...

e
marc_taro
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by marc_taro »

Metreon is probably a good choice - parking, transit, central location, space....books, movies, food - its not super 'classy' but it's practical :)

hey, another subject - anyone ever made a Sketchcrawl flyer I could grab off you, change the date, and post at the studio?
chrispalmer
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by chrispalmer »

this is a pretty cool idea. it'll make the end of the day that much more fun, seeing where everyone has been and how they've put it down on paper.
gustavo
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by gustavo »

I also like meeting at the beginning just because I do not know all of you, and I totally understand Enrico's point of view, so its fine either way.
Although I think that if we are to see others with sketchbooks as we walk from one place to the other and we approach them either we will find out yes, they are part of Sketchcrawl or maybe they are not part of it at all in which case we may be able to quickly tell them about it (already happened to me once - kid was simply sketching in the park :eh: ) OR as suggested by Emma - we all buy and wear the SC Tshirts, no more guessing then.

Metreon seems like a good idea. I think I may even take a quick trip to the SF Museum of Modern Art.

marc_taro re: flyer
Gerald has created some in the past I think one of those could be modified.

Idea:
The following ocurred to me:
What if... since we may all be starting from different points/areas around and/or near San Francisco, we sort of document locations via cellphone pictures / small cellphone video clips or even camcorder (if you want to carry that around).

I'll compile / edit them (with Enrico's input) and we upload it to youtube for all to see -it may be more like a slideshow w/ some moving clips.
I think total running time limit is about 10mins or less, so we may / may not be able to include it all - and/or may need to do other segments (depending on how much material there is). Ideally you would want to use the highest quality your camera/cellphone can use.
Gustavo

https://www.gustavoarizmendi.com
SketchCrawl WebHosting / Maintenance donated by yours truly from 2007 to 2022.
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

I think that's a neat idea Gus ... we can try and document as much as possible ... many phones can't take video ... a lot of cameras can though ...
as soon as this doesn't distract us from drawing too much ... :)

e
martha
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by martha »

I love experiments and would happily give the new idea a try!
-martha

*** Trumpetvine Sketchblog ***

Return to “21st World Wide SketchCrawl”