San Francisco - CA - USA

Saturday April 11th 2009

Where shall we crawl?

Chinatown-Little Italy
32%
Market Street and Hayes Valley
6%
SOMA and Museums (MOMA, Cartoon Art Museum, Metreon, Yerba Buena Gardens)
20%
Japantown and Fillmore street
4%
Golden Gate Bridge and Presidio
26%
Academy of Sciences
12%

Total votes: 50

enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

San Francisco - CA - USA

Post by enrico »

So ... since we just chatted on Saturday (with some of you) regarding the possible next location to draw around, I thought I'd bring up an early discussion on where to have the 22nd crawl.

I'd love to hear suggestions and after that could have a poll ...

Some of the possibilities that come to mind:

- Chinatown "The Classic"(seems like once a year hitting Chinatown and North Beach could pretty fun) I know I'd love to.
- Japantown and Fillmore street (We've done a version of this one, with a walk down to the palace of fine arts, but it was too much walking)
- SOMA and Museums (MOMA, Cartoon Art Museum, Metreon, Yerba Buena Gardens ... lot's the nice tall buildings ... Samovar Cafe' ... and most importantly Beard Papa. Not a bad option... I've just convinced myself ... ;)
- Hayes Valley and Market Street (A bit urban, but there's Blue Bottle Coffeeeee ... ;) )

Anyway ... just a few options ... so let's start the brainstorm ... and keep in mind in you suggestions
we need large spaces for meeting ... could be outside or a large cafe' or bar ...

cheers!

e
janinep7
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: San Francisco - CA - USA

Post by janinep7 »

Golden Gate Park? Japanese Tea Gardens? Arboretum? Irving street? (for coffee and food and other fortification)

or

Castro?

or

Haight Street?

The latter two would be interesting... but maybe too crowded to be practical?
Don't know... I've never done one of these before so I don't know about the logistics. :0)
I just thought I'd throw those out as a few alternatives.

Ooops.... adding another late breaking thought:
Ferry Building around Embarcadero to Pier 39/Fisherman's Wharf???
MargauxB
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by MargauxB »

I like the idea of Chinatown but it can be really crowded on a weekend. Well, so can the rest of the City for that matter. The Castro came to mind, interesting architecture, colorful characters, some history. Sometimes the Haight feels grubby to me but that would be okay as well. I was thinking about the new Cal Academy of Sciences, but drawing inside would cost the artist a ticket, perhaps we could score a group rate. What about the Mission district? I have never been on one of these either...
oneoftheothers
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by oneoftheothers »

I'm new to this whole sketch crawl thing... but have you guys ever considered coming up to San Jose for it. Up here we have a really nice down town area, right around the Tech Mueseum and Art Museum etc. Really nice blend of old and new...
Thanks

David
marc_taro
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by marc_taro »

I love market street for sketching - so many great buildings there, plus all the shopping/food/theaters/transpo - tons of characters on the street if you're into that kind of drawing...(chess players, street musicians, etc)...
It does get pretty urban heading towards city hall - but perhaps going in groups will let you draw places you wouldn't necessarily do on your own :)
http://tarosan.wordpress.com/2009/02/01 ... -building/
Xavier
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Xavier »

SOMA and Chinatown sound really fun! They have a lot of architecture and people to sketch over there. I also like the idea of Beard Papas! :D

-Xavier
venecys
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by venecys »

I would wanna try China town, they have many many interesting buildings.
:lol: :lol:
reelcartoons
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by reelcartoons »

Has Clement St. been suggested? Lots of places to sit, eat and best of all...sketch! :thumbup:
Diana Draw
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Diana Draw »

Hm, you could do Chinatown thru Little Italy and Washington Square with that beautiful cathedral. Maybe stop for a coffee con panna or a gelato before heading north over to Fisherman's Wharf. That way you'd hit the touristy areas with neighborhood in between. If people have some engergy left, perhaps heading west to Fort Mason & the Marina Green to wind down for some frisbee, or maybe cafe or restaurant for those who want to meet at the end and share sketches...
Diana Draw
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Diana Draw »

Clement St. is fun, but it's hard to overcome just sititng in a coffee shop all day there. (I used to live at Clement/5th). Interesting idea though. You could do that and then start walking over to the Presidio via Clement (west) and then the 15th (?) Ave route north up to the abandoned hospital. Or, there's also that park they just redid with California-native plants around Lake & 8th called...called...Mtn. Lake? Gah, my memory's terrible. But there may actually be benches or railings for people to lean on there now.

Not sure if you've done this before, but what about a walk across the Golden Gate type crawl? The city looks so pretty and different from the bridge and vista point. People could park in the Presidio for all day parking - not to mention the cool Presidio buildings - and saunter over to the bridge. The flagpole next to the officer's club is a good place to meet 'cause there's plenty of free parking (at the end of Arguello). There are also gorgeous views of the bridge from Crissy Fields & the Marina Green. And the cemetery! Ooh, you could go to the cemetery.

Just stuff to think about.

I <3 the idea of going to the new Academy of Sciences! There'd be *so* much interesting stuff to look at and draw, an artist could spend all day there. Maybe for a future crawl? If we're organzied and enough people want to go, we could get a group discount maybe. Something to look into.
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

thanks for all the suggestions everyone ...
In general, we've learned that covering too much ground is not a great idea. It tends to become closer to a real marathon and less a drawing one.
So I am really trying to think more in term of an area instead of a course ... it also makes it much easier parking wise.

So ... I think it might be time for a poll ... here's what I thought we could narrow it down to

Chinatown-Little Italy (the classic)
Market Street and Hayes Valley
SOMA and Museums (MOMA, Cartoon Art Museum, Metreon, Yerba Buena Gardens)
Japantown and Fillmore street
Golden Gate Bridge
Academy of Sciences

Forgive me for omitting a couple of options, mostly because we've done similar crawls recently ... If you feel I am really missing one let me know and I'll be happy to add it ...

Ok, vote away!

e
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

oh one note ... I gave 2 votes per member ... so you can give your two top choices ...
if you feel strongly about one, you might want to use one vote only.

cheers!

e
Gerald

Post by Gerald »

Thanks for considering the amount of hiking we do on most crawls :thumbup:

This list of locations are all great. See ya guys on April 11th.
dcolivier
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by dcolivier »

I would love to do Chinatown starting at the arch on Grant and Bush (coffee shop right there, easy parking at Sutter St garage and easy bus access), through Chinatown down Grant (easy to get lunch in a noodle shop) and finally into North Beach with our final meeting in Washington Square Park (places to grab coffee all around, easy to handle our big crowd). So I'm voting Chinatown No.1
emma
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by emma »

I like Chinatown - so much to see and draw in such a small area!

Return to “22nd World Wide SketchCrawl”