Saturday April 11th 2009
Sasa
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Beijing, China

Post by Sasa »

Any sketchers in Beijing?

BR, Satu

(This is my 2nd time trying to participate... Last time did some sketching by myself but was too lazy/busy to share them.)
gustavo
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: Beijing, China

Post by gustavo »

It is never too late, if the forum is not locked as of yet, please share. If not perhaps this next one.

Thank you
Gustavo

https://www.gustavoarizmendi.com
SketchCrawl WebHosting / Maintenance donated by yours truly from 2007 to 2022.
thek
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by thek »

I'm in Beijing until the 12th April so I could potentially make it to this. Any ideas where to go?
thek
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by thek »

sasa, can you recommend any good places for getting art supplies? waterproof inks/ waterbrushes - I don't know if you can buy such things here :)
Sasa
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Sasa »

Yes, you can find several wonderful small art supply shops in Wusi Dajie (opposite of NAMOC - National Museum of Modern Art). They have everything :)

Place to draw, hmmm... Something really 'Beijing', like a hutong area...? Let me think about this for a while, will come back tomorrow...
thek
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by thek »

Thanks Sasa, will look into Wusi Dajie. As for location, will bow to your superior knowledge! :)
Sasa
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Sasa »

What do you want to draw? E.g. in Drum&Bell Tower area might be a good for some hutong scenes (or Lama Temple area). Also places like Forbidden City might be nice, it may be possible to find some more peaceful corners there to draw...
Maybe we could just meet somewhere and then head wherever we decide. What would be a good place to meet from your point of view? I should be able to find my way anywhere. My only wish is that let's not start before 12, I have a friend's farewell party the night before, I don't to wake up too early...
shanghailady
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by shanghailady »

Hii to everybody
in Beijing I like very much the
1)Soong ChingLin GuJu or the Mad.me Soong Memorial hall which is near Houhai just in front of the lake where you see the winter swimming (you have to go inside, buy the entrance ticket. Inside it's absolutelu quite, nobody goes there)
2)Or you can have a good view from the Peak of Beihai Park where you see the lake and the roof. Or inside Beihai there is a Pavillion (i don't remember the name) where the Emperor used to practice calligraphy (nobody inside)
3) Find somewhere high just south of the Niaodan the New Opera House.
I'm absolutely eager to see yr drawings...my hearth is with you :thumbup:
Shanghailady
thek
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by thek »

Sasa, my wife and I were thinking of going to HouHai Park in the morning since we haven't seen it during the day yet - maybe we could meet there? Say, about 12:30? It's quite close to the drum and bell tower/lama temple too isn't it? shanghailady's suggestions are all near there too. We could find a nice quiet spot within houhai maybe to start with. I think I'd like to give Forbidden City a miss though, we spent the whole day there last week and it tired us out in more ways than one! I'm a pretty amateur sketcher so anything I get to draw is an experience, and as long as we don't get people crowding round to watch us draw I'll be fine! I've a good mind to drop by Wusi Dajie for materials beforehand too.

Shanghailady, thanks for the suggestions! I haven't been to most of those places so I think they'd be an experience. Was in Beihai last week, and we had one of our most enjoyable days there.

Saturday is actually my last day here, I fly back to London on Sunday. Really looking forward to this, it's a nice way to close off the holiday!
Sasa
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Sasa »

Thanks Shanghai Lady, good suggestions! I haven't been to that Soong ChingLin GuJu so wouldn't mind trying that. :)

Thek, Houhai sounds great! Let's meet in Starbucks near south gate of Houhai at 12:30 (it is easy to locate).
thek
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by thek »

Starbucks it is - see you there!

btw, thanks so much for the Wusi Dajie tip - I'd walked past there so many times and never noticed those art supply shops! Wonderful is exactly the right word.
thek
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by thek »

hey! Should have taken a number off you. We're at star bucks, we'll wait until 2pm. We got here at 1, underestimated the walk!
thek
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by thek »

should prob mention we're in the area outside by the lake. If we don't see you we'll head to song ching lin. Hope you can make it
Sasa
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Sasa »

Hi, I didn't see you guys... Went to Soong Ching-Lin Memorial Hall but it was closed for renovation :( Well, next time...
Hope you have a good flight back!
Sasa
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Sasa »

yes, I should have given my number. I left Starbucks at 1 so around the time when you came. (A friend of mine was also supposed to join us but he overslept so not very successful this time... :) )

Return to “22nd World Wide SketchCrawl”