BANGALORE, INDIA [RESULTS]

Saturday July 23rd 2011
Prabha
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

BANGALORE, INDIA [RESULTS]

Post by Prabha »

Hi All,

We sketched a beautiful old bungalow, which houses a café in the centre of Bangalore called 'The French Loaf'. Arun and Nilesh were the other two participants. Then Nilesh and myself went to National Gallery of Modern Art (NGMA) at Palace Road to see a movie on the famous French photographer Willy Ronis.
Had an awesome time! :thumbup:

Some sketches below from my journal:

Cheers,
Prabha
http://www.prabhanarayanan.com
eyes
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Re: BANGALORE, INDIA [RESULTS]

Post by eyes »

Prabha,

Cool sketches on all. I don't know why I always come back to look at the Black Forest cake :thumbup:
somsesh
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by somsesh »

Well done Prabha. I agree the black forest cake does look good.
Posting my sketches next.
sketchgurl
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by sketchgurl »

Good job, Prabha!

I want a slice of that delicious Black Forest Cake.
somsesh
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by somsesh »

In the thick of many things going on, the 32nd Sketchcrawl came knocking. Unlike the old times, I wasn't very well prepared but I knew that I had to do it. The reason is that it liberates me in some ways, greeting a self that asks for no deadlines, style variations, target audience etc. The sole task of just going to a place and sketch vents the draftsman free in me.
Last night, I picked Ulsoor lake for sketching and packed my bags with the equipments. I had been using colours in my work a lot lately and it played me to put the Lamy ink with me for some plain sombre ink drawings. I started the event with sketching a Ganpathi temple near the lake. The architecture as pointed out by my friend Khushboo was quite a strange mix of Tibetan and South Indian temples. Thankfully, the footpath was empty and gave the needful sitting place for me to start. I worked with brushes and ink for the first layer of sketching and then the washes to highlight the lines. To talk about wash, Lamy inks are such a treat to work with. It has a unpredictability when played with water, giving hues of yellow and blues on the paper.
Here is the very first sketch of the morning -
While roaming around the lake, I saw a few birds flying over the trees levitating in the lake. They had a hint of yellow on their beak and the arched neck. I had never been good with taxonomy of birds so I didn't make any guess work on it. Me and my friend walked to one of the park on the periphery of the lakes where the Mayura Boat Club caught the attention of us. Soon we were on a paddle boat navigating in the muddy green waters. Luckily, the boat ride managed to get me close to the birds I had seen before. Crazy as it may sound but we stopped the boat and I quickly drew the birds sitting on the dried branches half submerged in water.
The half an hour boat ride and the parking of it took some breath out of me in the end. But it definitely gave me a good time and space to do the second sketch. Looking at clock, we still had time before lunch, enough for one more sketch. We moved to the park and chose our spots to sit and draw. There is a statue of Vivekanand put in the park overlooking the couples sitting on the benches. I quickly grabbed my brushes for the last sketch of the day.
To finish things up, we had Maggi for lunch with some masala chai made by my friend at her place in Cox town. I had planned to do a few sketches in Shivajinagar too but I would savour it for the next Sketchcrawl. For now, I am ready to get back at the drawing board to battle out the deadlines.
Prabha
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Prabha »

Thanks Eyes, Sketchgurl and Somesh!
Loved your ink washes and detailing Somesh! Awesome crawl :D
travelingsuep
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by travelingsuep »

Great results as always Prabha. :thumbup:

Somesh - I like the technique you have used - these are all very impressive sketches! :clap:
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by CyberDave »

Bangalore Sketchcrawlers..

Most excellent work (oh I said the bad "w" word) .. sorry should have said fun.

Prabha.. very nice sketches and I like the bright colours, they work well and create a nice mood to the sketches... what is it with Sketchcrawlers this time drawing food.. makes me hungry :wink: , the Japanese sites also have sweets
Somsesh... excellent sketches, you know I am watching :) .. the lamy inks with somber colours really works with your sketching style and especially for the subjects.

Best wishes to you both...
CyberDave
Vancouver, Canada
Becco
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by Becco »

prabha,really beautiful colors. lovely...!
Somsesh,great art work :clap:
Becco/Japan
BLOG
AVBK
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by AVBK »

Stunning drawings and such an interesting account of your day! Looking forward to your next sketchcrawl.
Mossgate
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Mossgate »

Somsesh.....I absolutely LOVED the narrative that you added with each painting....like journal entries. Hope you wrote these things down somewhere on the drawing or on the back. The drawings have a moody quality which I really like.The ink looks fascinating, too. That unpredictability reminds me of what one gets with with the watercolor, nickel quinacridone gold....goes from brown to brilliant yellow depending upon how much water you use.
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by CyberDave »

Hi..

I came back for the Black Forest cake... I was dreaming about this half the night. This and the Tokyo sketchcrawl and their ice cream :crazy: :think:

Actually I came back to see if there were any more postings.

Cheers
CyberDave
grayshoe
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by grayshoe »

Some very gorgeous sketching here, Bangalore! Thanks for sharing.
Neil-W
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Neil-W »

Prabha and Somsesh i really like both your styles , fantastic use of watercolour . Vibrant
Maki
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Maki »

prabha, lovely sketches you drew! I like the poeple gathering round the table.
somsesh, Great works! The spread of the water makes nice shading.

Return to “32nd World Wide SketchCrawl”