Sketchcrawl Penang

Drawings and tales from november 21st 2004
baerd
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Sketchcrawl Penang

Post by baerd »

Oh I am tired. Nothing's scanned yet, but two vital lessons learned:

1) must bring hot chick along for next sketchcrawl, her ability to draw/hold a pencil is irrelevant.

2) must remember to eat while sketchcrawling.

Material up tomorrow! Goodnight world!
zironu
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by zironu »

Hear hear!

Sketchcrawl Penang

Post by Guest »

* SKETCHCRAWL PENANG *

Alright, let's get down to some drawings...

(drawn a few days prior to the sketchcrawl itself. )

So I haven't looked at that many other posting yet, usually I like to add a little blurb along the way, a picture is worth a million words, but I thought I might add a few words extra.

Had two main destinations in mind, and planned to wing it as I went along.

Had to charge it at the last minute :wink:

[/img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/ ... k2.jpg[img]

This one really made me wish I knew how to paint... all the red flags blowing in the wind made me think of all the watercolour sketches I'd seen... *sigh*

It's also entrance to a chinese cemetary, by the way.

Getting into the sketching mindframe, you quickly look at things differently, and tried to follow wherever my eye took me...

[/img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/ ... k3.jpg[img]

quick pencils, a good rest from the detailed piece earlier.

Brunch:

[/img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/ ... k4.jpg[img]

Wandered over to the first sketch destination...

[/img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/ ... k6.jpg[img]

...a Burmese Temple, with this amazing statue of Buddha that I just found out last week(!).

Probably the highlight of the whole sketchcrawl, with the gong being sounded periodically as the occasional breeze surprised you, it was rather zen-like. I spent a lot of time here.

After which I remember Enrico saying something along the lines of "...sketch until you crawl...", which was kind of how I felt. I *was* surprised by how quickly I got tired, and realized a little too fast that sketchcrawling alone might not have been the bestest of ideas(see lessons learnt #1 posted above).

It was too early to go to Destination #2, a wiser person would have gotten something to *eat*, but instead I drove around looking for things to draw...

[/img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/ ... k7.jpg[img]

With intentions to draw the crows, but dem birds did what birds do, and flew off, crowing in mockery...

Destination #2 was a half an hours drive away...

[/img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/ ... k8.jpg[img]

Good weather, and I found a chair under the tree to sit on. Didn't take up as much time as in the temple, but I really enjoyed this one as well... (insert feeling of hypoglycemia in here, realized that I hadn't eaten since noon)

Much later that night, in meeting my friend(who had agreed to let me draw him), I did, 'the coffee thing', which I figured a lot of people might be doing. Friend turned up, plans changed, and a quick sketch was all I could manage.

[/img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/ ... k0.jpg[img]

The sketchcrawl ended sooner than I would have liked, as duties at home called out to me.

I am *so* bringing a hot chick along next time :twisted:

Cheers!
[/img]

Sketchcrawl Penang

Post by Guest »

* SKETCHCRAWL PENANG *

Alright, let's get down to some drawings...

(drawn a few days prior to the sketchcrawl itself. )

So I haven't looked at that many other posting yet, usually I like to add a little blurb along the way, a picture is worth a million words, but I thought I might add a few words extra.

Had two main destinations in mind, and planned to wing it as I went along.

Had to charge it at the last minute :wink:

This one really made me wish I knew how to paint... all the red flags blowing in the wind made me think of all the watercolour sketches I'd seen... *sigh*

It's also entrance to a chinese cemetary, by the way.

Getting into the sketching mindframe, you quickly look at things differently, and tried to follow wherever my eye took me...

quick pencils, a good rest from the detailed piece earlier.

Brunch:

Wandered over to the first sketch destination...

...a Burmese Temple, with this amazing statue of Buddha that I just found out last week(!).

Probably the highlight of the whole sketchcrawl, with the gong being sounded periodically as the occasional breeze surprised you, it was rather zen-like. I spent a lot of time here.

After which I remember Enrico saying something along the lines of "...sketch until you crawl...", which was kind of how I felt. I *was* surprised by how quickly I got tired, and realized a little too fast that sketchcrawling alone might not have been the bestest of ideas(see lessons learnt #1 posted above).

It was too early to go to Destination #2, a wiser person would have gotten something to *eat*, but instead I drove around looking for things to draw...

With intentions to draw the crows, but dem birds did what birds do, and flew off, crowing in mockery...

Destination #2 was a half an hours drive away...

Good weather, and I found a chair under the tree to sit on. Didn't take up as much time as in the temple, but I really enjoyed this one as well... (insert feeling of hypoglycemia in here, realized that I hadn't eaten since noon)

Much later that night, in meeting my friend(who had agreed to let me draw him), I did, 'the coffee thing', which I figured a lot of people might be doing. Friend turned up, plans changed, and a quick sketch was all I could manage.

The sketchcrawl ended sooner than I would have liked, as duties at home called out to me.

I am *so* bringing a hot chick along next time :twisted:

Cheers!
baerd
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Apologies

Post by baerd »

1. for not logging in before posting, and

2. for posting it twice cuz I messed up the image tag bits.
arashikami
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by arashikami »

Baerd,

No worries. The tags here are all wonky anyway.

Love the pieces. The patio chairs sketch really hits me just right. Dunno why, it just does.

I missed meeting Pete & Rebecca Woods by a minute on Sunday. Rebecca Woods is on your LJ F-List as "artfemme." Pete works for DC. Sat and talked with a friend of theirs at the Japanese Garden in Portland. Small world.

Arashi~Kami
baerd
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by baerd »

Hey Arashikami!

What a show of talent around here, yeah? And what a small world it is indeed! Had a look over at your stuff on your LJ site, KEWL.
littlefish
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by littlefish »

I like the deck ones the most :) great sketches all!

and i wonder where is this "Penang" place? it's in Japan?
baerd
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by baerd »

Hey thanks for reading!
littlefish wrote:I like the deck ones the most :) great sketches all!

and i wonder where is this "Penang" place? it's in Japan?
It's an island off the west coast of Malaysia, a country north of Singapore, south of Thailand, Cambodia and Laos. Also close neighbours of Indonesia and the Philippines.

It's also called the 'Pearl of The Orient", but Penang is mostly known for its food nowadays... oh and worsening traffic:)

Post by Guest »

Great sketches here!
zironu
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by zironu »

Awesome stuff, but I still think you should have a hot chick with you next time. :) Hot chicks are cool.
overvision
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by overvision »

Yeah, that deck is simply killer. 8)
Congratulations on sticking with it!

O
rainboy
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by rainboy »

yah I luv tat one too! Very CoOL! Where is it?

Post by Guest »

overvision wrote:Yeah, that deck is simply killer. 8)
Congratulations on sticking with it!

O
Hey thanks!

Post by Guest »

rainboy wrote:yah I luv tat one too! Very CoOL! Where is it?
Cool! Glad you liked it. It's a fishing village at the most northern east side of Penang, close to Muka Head, also called 'Taman Negara' I believe, a rather funny name. The sea is nothing write home about, but with the walkway it actually looks pretty impressive in realtime.

Return to “1st World Wide SketchCrawl day!”